NaNoRenO is underway!!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

#16 Post by Guest »

Have a few other things to take care of before I start on this game so I'm a little behind, but I give info on what I have anyways.(batantly coping eclipses copy of mileys list.)

Story: 80%
BGs: 0%
Design: 30%
Chara 95% Drawin out: 0%
Testing: 0%
Music: 0% (must have!)

I'm really liking the idea I have and I think it'll work out great. I should be done with this other stuff by the weekend so I'll beable to start on the game then.

Dre
Regular

#17 Post by Dre »

Thats was me, didn't log in.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#18 Post by rioka »

Wow, 80% of the story already?! :whistles:
At that rate, I'd expect you to be the first to release their NaNoRenO game! (Can you feel the pressure now?)

Dre
Regular

#19 Post by Dre »

Heh, I don't know about that. I just fell that the story is the first thing a game needs before anything else. Once I decided on the meat and the ending of the game, I can get cracking on the art and it's smooth sailing from there. 8)

Of crouse by smooth sailing I mean the bermuda triangle mixed with the perfect storm.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#20 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:To save time, I've decided to write the script directly into Ren'Py and test along the way so you'll see those go up practically simutaneously.
It's the best way, that's what RenPy's for :D
Dre wrote:Heh, I don't know about that. I just fell that the story is the first thing a game needs before anything else. Once I decided on the meat and the ending of the game, I can get cracking on the art and it's smooth sailing from there
You said it, it's the most unpredictable element for me as well.

Okay, a little update on my side...

I have some troubles with my internet, so perhaps I'll be able to check the boards on as late as on Sunday, but I'll do my best. My progress is pretty fast with the story (I just need 1+1/2 chapter and one ending), so hopefully I can finish it over the weekend. I should be able to have rough characters as well and on Sunday... well, I'm doing some music negotiations, and try to use my sweet green eyes to get results... :wink: (yeah, I'm cheap)

So, to update my list... (blatant copy of Dre's eclipse's my own)
Design = 100%
BGs = 50%
Story = 70%
Chara = 0%
Assembly = 10%
Testing = 0%
Music = 0% (optional)

Wish you all good luck for the weekend!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by mikey »

Well, the weekend is almost over and I am happy to see Transfer Teacher is going along nicely, ahead of schedule, so I'm glad. I was able to get original music for the project, although that may triple the game size, up to 30 MB :( . Also, the rough BGs are all there, we also have complete basic character design finished, so I'm optimistic. There may even be time to add special features :P

Design, Music: 100%
BGs, Story: 70%
Characters: 30%
Specials, Assembly & Testing = 10%

Plans for the week ahead... Finish story, at least 80% of BGs and Characters and begin assembly.

Grey
Veteran

#22 Post by Grey »

Hahah...what large figures...here's where I think I'm at. I haven't got any real schedule bar 'try to get to this bit by today, you lazy git' -_-;

Engine = 99%
BGs = 50-70%
Story implemented = 10-15%
Characters drawn= 80%

GET WORKING USELESS GREY!!!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#23 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yes, lest my fellow participants be intimidated by mikey's impressive progress, I remind you all that he has released games before, and indeed created within most of a month. I don't have much of a specific schedule either. Although we do heartily commend and congratulate you, mikey, for your example of what's possible!

To copy the already nearly xeroxed-to-unreadability ;) list:

Script: Don't know... maybe 25%? Perhaps 20%?
Character art: 2/3 main characters designed by my artist, to be drawn & CG'd when she's off at a convention next weekend
BGs: 50%? (Got most of the images after lots of trawling, have to do a little processing on them)
Assembly & Testing: 10% (Finally beat the "no narration displays" bug, which has to be worth something, right?)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#24 Post by PyTom »

Well, unlike everyone else, I'm way behind. To the point where I'm strongly considering declaring the deadline to be specified in the Julian calendar.

But I'm not ready to give up yet.

Good news... I spent some time on art today. It's always fairly nifty to see the moment when a collection of bezier curves and fill specifications suddenly becomes a face.

darkknight
Veteran

#25 Post by darkknight »

I believe in you...You can do it...
GOOOOO TEAM, GOOOOOOO Tom
okay I really gotta stop doing that...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by mikey »

Chronoluminaire>> Impressive progress... *cough* I don't know... To tell the truth, this comes as a surprise for me as well, but as I said before, the project was planned to be smaller than Black Pencil and as simple as Kaori. So that will surely be a factor - actually if I'd known, I'd probably make it a little bigger, but I was just too unsure, so I opted for the safe version. But it's still far from finished, so don't think that I'll be done midway through March! :P Assembly & Testing will take a substantial amount of time too.

PyTom>> Julian calendar... :D :D

Gloranor
Regular

#27 Post by Gloranor »

Uhm... Hi Everyone! ;-) :oops:

Been a lurker for a long time (sometime before RT), and followed the NaNoRenO thread closely - too closely for the good of the world, that is, because got hit by all those speeches and started to think about participating, though I seriously doubted that I could actually start writing it, not to mention finishing it.
Well, to make a long story short, I quietedly started on the late afternoon of the first, following closely all the newbie rules, and intended to stay quiet about it till I finished the concept and wrote the first few lines of the script... which I did today (took that long because a.) I had a little writers block, b.) I discovered fansubbed animes and Bishoujo-demos on the net and/or c.) I was lazy... somehow I supect that it is AND c in any case *g*).
The game will probably lack in the quality department, and suffer from incurable longwinditis, but I finally think that I can manage to do it.

Concept: 99.9~% (maybe a little detail here or there)
BG:75% (Photos, I still have to resize them and edit one a little bit)
Story/Script: 1-2% (as long as I stay clear from that block it shouldn't be a problem *g*)
Character Images: 0% (Will contact my artist today, didn't want to start with that before I was sure I could do it)
Assembly,Testing etc:0%
Music:0% (Does anyone know a free website for music that s/he would recommend?)

Gloranor; evil lurker 001, who doesn't know everything about everyone, but has know an even worse weapon :wink:

Binki
Regular

#28 Post by Binki »

I've decided to make a game called " Dance ". Basically you are an average guy trying to snag a good date before the dance. There will be 4 girls to choose from, possibly 5. You have to earn the money for a tux while wooing your girl. You have 2 weeks. It is kinda like One Week, but I started late and want to get a feel for the genre. ^_^;;

Characters:
Nouta ( Sp? ):
Description: You are not overly atheletic or acedemic nor are you particularly popular, but you have some friends and are fairly hansome. You have to win the girls with your personality.

Kimiko:
Personality/description: Kimiko is a feisty girl who likes to be promiscuous and rude. Underneath her hardened extirior is a frightened and fragile girl trying to cope with the death of her older brother.

Motoko:
Personality/Description: The most popular girl in your school. She is pretty, smart, and outgoing. Oddly enough she hasn't yet got a date for the dance...

Asuka:
Personality/Description: A childhood friend of yours but latley you have been growing apart. She is very sweet and smart but is very lonley and is hurting from a break up that happened a year ago.

Eimi:
Personality/description: Shy and super cute, Eimi is constantly being chased by the boys in a very careless fashion. She is quite popular in her grade.

I hope those aren't too stereotypical ^_^

Heres the progress :D :
Story: 20% ( Only the concept so far )
BGs: 50% ( I have to filter them in photoshop and resize, but I have them all )
Design: 10%
Chara: 50% ( I've got the design. I just need to make the images. )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kimiko: 50%
Motoko: 50%
Asuka: 50%
Eimi: 50%

Assembly: 0%
Testing: 0%
Music: 0% (optional)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#29 Post by rioka »

Hi Gloranor, welcome to NaNoRenO. Do the best you can and good luck!

Re Binki:
It's hard to make a truly original character that hasn't been used before in a ren'ai game (or manga or anime for that matter...). I've made a list of the stereotypical characters awhile back. If you guys see anything in there I missed or you think I should amend, please feel free to inform me. Thanks!

Anyways, for my progress, it's going along steadily. Btw, are you guys going to release before the end of the month or right after? I will most likely release in April.
Last edited by rioka on Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by mikey »

Gloranor>> welcome! hmmm, just how many more of you are out there... Anyway, it's great you "silently" joined, I like that "appears out of nowhere" approach :P

Sometimes it helps to fight the block by letting EVERYTHING be for a day, take out your favorite game (who'd bother going out in this freezing weather) - many people just start to do other project-related things, but that doesn't help to clear your mind completely. A day off works for me, but you can't overdo it, of course.

Binky>> Hey, cool, "Dance", now we know another game title! Well, anyone else wants to disclose their titles? (It's Transfer Teacher for me) :wink:

eclipse>> *gulp* That stereotypical article is so detailed, I don't think there's anything you could possibly have missed. Before that I actually thought there were just five types - aggressive, silent, chibi, older and childhood/stepsister. Ah, the foolish youthful mind!

About the releases, I'd really like to do it 31.3. So yes, before the end, but very close. probably night CET (centr.eur.time), so that people can wake up on April 1st and have some fun.