NaNoRenO is underway!!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#31 Post by Megaman Z »

Okay... I'm officially glued to this topic until NaNoRenO ends to see what to expect...

for those interested in a plot for the project I'm working on (which will not be close to done by the end of the month), I'll post it up when NaNoRenO is over

(and I don't think I'd be able to get a game up and out before the end of the month...)
~Kitsune Zeta

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#32 Post by chronoluminaire »

I'm planning on releasing "When I Rule The World" on 1st April. If I finish much before that (I can always dream!) then I'll probably get a couple of people to play through it and give me comments, and edit until the date. Maybe add in secondary backgrounds and things.

As for the surprise joiners: Yay!! Great to have you with us, Gloranor!! And Binki, thanks for your outline! It sounds like a good fun first game, and I for one will look forward to it ^_^

RedSlash
Veteran

#33 Post by RedSlash »

Surprise joiner's indeed. That makes 2 more games to play!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#34 Post by mikey »

A good day for me once again - I finished the whole script (believe it or not, it's even longer than River Trap, which will make TT my longest game) and have basically all the backgrounds as well. I've sent the approved characters back for finalizing, so whenever I have those back, I'm finished with all the productive work and what is left will be assembly, editing, specials etc. I'm hoping to reach this final phase in about two days, although I'll probably go ahead with it anyway as the characters have time - I don't need them this early ^_^. So far, the estimated file size for the full game is 40 MB, but I hope to "ogg down some of the wavs" so that it isn't that terrible on your hard disks. Once again, there's going to be one very crucial password, which I think is the toughest yet. Or the easiest... hard to say.

So, my deadline 31.3. looks good, since it's only mechanical work from today and I am 1 full week ahead of schedule. Although I have to say, that I'll need this extra week, because I'm expecting hard times later in the month. So it's me against the clock. Prepare to lose, you ticking thing!

Update...
Design, Music, Story, BGs: 100%
Characters: 50%
Assembly, Editing, Specials, Testing = 10%

Grey
Veteran

#35 Post by Grey »

Welcome to the newcomers :D
Grey wrote:Engine = 99%
BGs = 50-70%
Story implemented = 10-15%
Characters drawn= 80%
Hmm, well since the discussion of mouse/key bindings and readback in one of the other topics, over the scant hours I've had in the last few days (trying to make more time for later in the month) I've been bodging bits into my engine, fixing the bugs and complications those things have brought in, fixing some saving/loading bugs that evidently slipped through the net, and also improving the save/load system with some of the stuff that came about from readback.

Thusly my engine is now theoretically at ~130% :roll:

Dre
Regular

#36 Post by Dre »

Heh, just something to scrach your head over. :wink:

http://allugic.angeltowns.net/re_wall8.jpg

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#37 Post by mikey »

Wait a minute...
I got it!
It's a picture!

Dre
Regular

#38 Post by Dre »

Wait a minute...
I got it!
It's a picture!
Darn, I knew it was too easy to get.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#39 Post by rioka »

Since everyone is forthcoming about at least one thing about their game (title, image, art), I'll give you guys something to chew over as well.... ;)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#40 Post by PyTom »

Dre wrote:Heh, just something to scrach your head over. :wink:

http://allugic.angeltowns.net/re_wall8.jpg

Well, it seems to be some sort of oil platform. It's a bit close to shore, I think. I'm not totally sure what the thing it's floating on is, though. The perspective is a little weird, although it might be explained by us being significantly higher than the deck of the platform.

BTW, let me recommend the book "Perspective for Comic Book Artists". It's a very accessible book that even someone, like me, with no formal artistic training in almost a decade (and that was a photography course) can understand.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#41 Post by mikey »

I've received some of the near-final character images just now, so things are looking good for me too. I'll try to get some game-like screenshots over the weekend to brag a little as well, hmm... :D

eclipse>> hey, nice! Is that a hair pin in the shape of a star??

Okay, with all this de-classifying of info going on, I'll tell you, that TT is going to be made of two separate stories.
*looks at signature*
Well, maybe that isn't so new at all.

Dre
Regular

#42 Post by Dre »

Well, it seems to be some sort of oil platform. It's a bit close to shore, I think. I'm not totally sure what the thing it's floating on is, though. The perspective is a little weird, although it might be explained by us being significantly higher than the deck of the platform.
You've discovered the flaws! But really, the whole idea behind this will be explained in the story. I did use pictures from the internet to draw this(made up whatever happens to be the thing its floating on) and I notice many of them were pretty close to land.
BTW, let me recommend the book "Perspective for Comic Book Artists". It's a very accessible book that even someone, like me, with no formal artistic training in almost a decade (and that was a photography course) can understand.
Thanks, I do use prespectives when I actually draw the backgrounds. In this case, I didn't. Matter of fact, I left the picture in pencil. Why? I don't know. Didn't really make it look better, guess I just got lazy.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#43 Post by rioka »

mikey>> Yup! A star pin and regular pin.
Ooo~ screenshots. I'd like to see those!

My progress:
Story: 90% - just got to put in the endings...
Design, BG: 100%
Assembly, Editing, Testing, Specials: 80% more or less
Music, Characters: 0%

Wow, maybe I will have time to search and put in music...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#44 Post by mikey »

eclipse>> congratulations on your progress! - why not try going for the april 1st deadline? I'd say you're even closer to completion than me ^_^

Anyway, my current stats...

--------------- PHASE 1 -------------
Design, BGs, Story, Music = 100%
Characters = 50%
--------------- PHASE 2 -------------
Inserting text = 100%
Inserting BGs = 10%
Inserting music = 0%
Inserting characters = 0%
Check paths = 10%
Add specials = 0% (optional)
--------------- PHASE 3 -------------
Testing = 10%
Packing/upload = 0%

The weekend awaits with lots of work! :wink:

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#45 Post by chronoluminaire »

Wow, good for you, mikey and eclipse both! Congrats, and keep it up! :)

Things aren't going so well for me. I've been slightly ill - just a cold, but it's meaning I need more sleep than usual :( For an event on Thursday I had to prepare explanation sheets for many different board games, and so my writing time on Monday and Wednesday all went on that. And I've been having to do some planning of what scenes I'm going to write before I write them. I'm turning out to be not that good at disciplinedly just sitting down and writing. I've got a lot of work ahead of me to get this game out by the end of March. But I don't want to overrun! I want to be one of those who succeeded in the first ever NaNoRenO! And Selena's story is so wonderful and she's such a fun character: I really want to share it with you guys!

So, I've got all of tomorrow (Sunday) after about 2 or 3pm, and I really need to get a good fraction of the story written. It's a bit of a wrestling match with myself: after I've been writing for 20 minutes I have the inclination to just go and check such-and-such, and it's an effort to make myself sit down and write. Wish me luck!