NaNoRenO is underway!!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#136 Post by mikey »

Chronoluminaire>> excellent, I love world domination plots, can't wait!! An unusual arrangement of BG/Characters there! Yum yum :D

eclipse>> I'm sort of curious what people will say. I don't know, the game is different from my previous ones, but then it's not. I think there also may be a few people that don't like it. Anyway, it was time for something new, so... and the 1 hour playtime is for the whole game. But be warned, the pw is really a killer, so far none of my testers figured it out :( So as I feared, the help/hint file will have to be up as a separate download at the time the game is released.

PyTom>> of course you know my opinion about crediting, and all that has been said before just underlines it. 8)

Alright then, time to brag a bit... I just need one final run through the game to check for inconsistencies (I will hardly be able to see any typos anymore at this stage) and just wait for the credits deadline, assemble the good thing and then hello Win98, hello testing. An early release is possible, but unlikely. But now, unless I have server problems, it's 100% sure Transfer Teacher will make it and will be available on 31.3. for download.

This reminds me... should we slowly start to make our games' official threads? ^_^ a sweet dilemma.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#137 Post by rioka »

re killer password>> We'll see... 8)

I'll make my official game thread soon (today or tomorrow). Anyone else making one this early?

Nyna

#138 Post by Nyna »

I apologize, but I will be unable to finish my game on time due to some RL issues. I simply don't have enough time left to finish what I want to do, and I'd rather not release a game I'm not happy with. I'll finish this as soon as I can, however, it may be quite a while. I really hate to do this, as I want to get this game out before April begins, but I have to focus on RL issues before working on this project. Again, I apologize.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#139 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:I'll make my official game thread soon (today or tomorrow). Anyone else making one this early?
I have changed my release plan, since I am just going through the thing now without thinking - it has no use in waiting. If something comes up, I'm sure people will let me now so... soon enough.

Nyna>> Don't worry (too much), actually we've said this before, NaNoRenO is also about preparing for the month as such by getting rid of as much of your RL stuff as possible, so it sometimes means working ahead in the preceding months. Oh well, consider yourself a winner anyway, having the courage to join in the middle of the month. :wink: Keep up the work and I'm certain you'll have your release soon.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#140 Post by chronoluminaire »

Nyna wrote:I apologize, but I will be unable to finish my game on time due to some RL issues. I simply don't have enough time left to finish what I want to do, and I'd rather not release a game I'm not happy with. I'll finish this as soon as I can, however, it may be quite a while. I really hate to do this, as I want to get this game out before April begins, but I have to focus on RL issues before working on this project. Again, I apologize.
I'm sorry to hear that. But it's understandable: Real Life does have a habit of intruding at the most inconvenient times.

Do keep us posted on the current situation, and keep going for it. We want to see the finished product :) Best of luck with resolving the RL issues in the meantime.

PixelWrangler
Regular

...all but out of NNRO...

#141 Post by PixelWrangler »

As you may/may not know, I came in halfway through this contest, which only left me with roughly 14 days (including two weekends) to complete the game. As such, I had been relying heavily on this past weekend to take care of a lot of game-related business.

However, I did not get anything done on Friday, had Saturday taken up, and was only able to get about half of what I had hoped done on Sunday due to a lack of energy/inclination, partially from Saturday (helped with a move).

Had I found out about the contest earlier and had the full 30 days, I have little doubt that I would have been able to finish on time. However, at this point it is BLOODY unlikely (possible, but unlikely) that my game will be done in time for the end-of-month NNRO deadline.

Here's what is done so far:

Characters: 90-95%
Backgrounds: 95-100%
Planning/Story: 90-95%
Writing: 10-20%
Coding: 10-15%
Testing: 5-10%
Music: N/A

Considering the fact that I probably won't be able to much/anything with the game on Tuesday as well, it's looking like it's pretty much not going to happen.

However... I do not plan to let the game die. I like the concept, the story, and the characters, so I will most likely continue to work on it after NaNoRenO. My original thought was to see if I could complete it by the end of 30 days from the time I joined, but there will most likely end up being a lot of backed-up real-life stuff to take care of, so I can't really commit to that.

The plusses are that I can now plan to include full-screen "special" graphics, and even include sound - two things that I really wanted to do, but which time constraints pretty much made impossible.

I may continue to use Ren'Py, but I may also move it over to the system I had been planning to develop/use to create the much larger Ren'ai game I'd been planning before I found out about NNRO... we'll see.

A big "thank you" to everyone for their support and encouragement on this project (especially PyTom... see the Ren'Py support forum for details). I look forward to trying out the games that are completed, and will continue to cheer for those still in the works.

Ganbatte yo! :D

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: ...all but out of NNRO...

#142 Post by mikey »

PixelWrangler wrote:However... I do not plan to let the game die. I like the concept, the story, and the characters, so I will most likely continue to work on it after NaNoRenO. My original thought was to see if I could complete it by the end of 30 days from the time I joined, but there will most likely end up being a lot of backed-up real-life stuff to take care of, so I can't really commit to that.
But you can try to! I think the concept of your "own" 30 days is great, keep yourself motivated and don't do more than you would if it were a March NaNoRenO game, so that you don't have delays. Delays in the fan-made ren'ai world almost equal cancellations, sadly. :(

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#143 Post by Megaman Z »

Jerails wrote:It looks like it's almost time for that last stretch home...

*Cheerleader outfit. DDR music : B4U Speed Mix*

Goooo, Ren-ai developers! One two! B4U! Three four, lay-it on the floor! Five six! You're in the mix! Seven eight! Now lay em straight!
*changes music behind his back to "Legend of MAX" played at 0.5x normal speed*

PW>> go ahead. there's a hungry Ren'ai game audiance right here.
~Kitsune Zeta

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#144 Post by chronoluminaire »

mikey wrote:
PixelWrangler wrote:However... I do not plan to let the game die. I like the concept, the story, and the characters, so I will most likely continue to work on it after NaNoRenO. My original thought was to see if I could complete it by the end of 30 days from the time I joined, but there will most likely end up being a lot of backed-up real-life stuff to take care of, so I can't really commit to that.
But you can try to! I think the concept of your "own" 30 days is great, keep yourself motivated and don't do more than you would if it were a March NaNoRenO game, so that you don't have delays. Delays in the fan-made ren'ai world almost equal cancellations, sadly. :(
Superb words, mikey. I couldn't say it any better. Go for it in your own 30 days, PW! Deadlines help :)

And to continue my tradition of throwing in my own status announcements to posts to other people: My script is now FINISHED!! After a marathon 4-day weekend of writing. Playtime looks to be 20-30 minutes. 4 endings. 20000 words.

Still to do: Title screen, finish the omake, expression checking, tweak a couple of graphics, fix the icon. Chance of release by April 1st: 98% 8)

PixelWrangler
Regular

#145 Post by PixelWrangler »

chronoluminaire wrote:
mikey wrote:
Superb words, mikey. I couldn't say it any better. Go for it in your own 30 days, PW! Deadlines help :)
Deadlines do help... but I basically dropped a lot of stuff I really should have been doing to start working on NNRO in the first place, so I'll need to take care of all that before going back into the game full-bore.

And delays may almost equal cancellations in the fan-made ren'ai world, but at this point, there are no plans to drop this project. Even if it does get dropped, it will most likely be in favor of resuming work on the larger ren'ai project I was planning to do before I learned about NNRO... kind of similar to PyTom's NNRO situation. :)

Funny thing... when you spend 3-4 solid days of meticulously drawing, digitally inking and coloring characters, you tend to not just let them sit around collecting digital dust. ;) Plus, having a supportive ren'ai community like this really helps keep up enthusiasm for a project.

My only regret (barring a miracle stretch) is that I wasn't able to pull through on the "underdog" 2-week deadline. However, I would strongly encourage any other developers who joined late to give the "extended 30-day" deadline a whirl. :)

P.W.
Last edited by PixelWrangler on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

qq
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate- BG artist

#146 Post by qq »

Here's my latest status
Character art 2%
BG 100 %
Story 43 %
Programming 0 %
I can't make the deadline mostly because I started revamping the story this week, but because I did I like my story more now. I had fun and good luck to those who are still going for the finish line.
Last edited by qq on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bookie
Veteran

#147 Post by bookie »

Hrm, I guess I started a little late to be part of the official Mo, but if I can get my game finished by the end of next month that'll be great! Lemme see how far I am..

Characters: 0% T_T
Backgrounds: 100% Yay Stock photos!
Planning/Story: 100%
Writing: 25%
Coding: 0%
Testing: 0%
Music: Maybe?

If I can get writing and coding done quick, I might have enough time for the characters.

Grey
Veteran

#148 Post by Grey »

Well done on the marathon chrono!
And the *gulp* completed game mikey.

For me though probability of a release on time is about 30% :(

I haven't managed to be as productive as I hoped storywritingwise, and even if I could sit down and finish it all in these three days then there's still other things that have to be done.

Still, NaNoRenO's given me the motivation to get up to this point on my game, ne?

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#149 Post by chronoluminaire »

Grey wrote:For me though probability of a release on time is about 30% :(
Waah, I'm sorry to hear that :(
Grey wrote:I haven't managed to be as productive as I hoped storywritingwise, and even if I could sit down and finish it all in these three days then there's still other things that have to be done.
I know what you mean about other things that have to be done. I was scared to realise on Thursday how much of that there was. There's so much beyond the story, for all that the story is the heart of it.
Grey wrote:Still, NaNoRenO's given me the motivation to get up to this point on my game, ne?
It's a real shame that you're not that likely to make it within the 'Mo. But do keep going... I loved Kasuka, and would really like to see your next game. Yes, NaNoRenO providing the motivation to get this far is plenty cool enough. :)

Gloranor
Regular

#150 Post by Gloranor »

Bad news first... well, my artist didn't draw the character (I can't really blame her, it's the first time she tried drawing manga style), and the writing... well, thanks to engrish-translations of some animes and H-games there are actually worse texts :lol: ...I believe... :roll:
Seriously, if a.) english isn't ones mother tongue, b.) one hasn't written anything in english for a long time, c.) one's writing was never good to begin with, one shouldn't d.) try to make one's characters sound like they are from the dark ages... esp. when one rules out just using "Thy" etc. because it doesn't fit the characters... (I guess that sentence says enough about how bad my writing is, even without taking its content into consideration...)
Of course it didn't help that I couldn't find the "right" level of internal monologue...

Well, I will draw the char myself (meet stick girl amatire... just joking... well, maybe :roll::wink: ) and finishing the script shouldn't be a problem, as a.) I have written the bulk of it already and b.) I think I have resolved the worst problems. Neither should assembling everything.
So the good news... chances are pretty good that I will release my game on time, tough it should be renamed "How not to make a Ren'Ai game".

That being said, despite all the problems it was really fun :D