So, what editor do you guys use?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: So, what editor do you guys use?

#16 Post by trooper6 »

Sublime Text costs $70. It'd have to be much more awesome than Editra for me to shell out for it.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#17 Post by Arowana »

trooper6 wrote:Sublime Text costs $70. It'd have to be much more awesome than Editra for me to shell out for it.
You can use Sublime in trial mode indefinitely if you don't want to pay for a license. As far as I know, the trial version has all the same features. You just get a popup once in a while asking you to purchase a license. I've only seen it once or twice so far, so I don't find it that annoying.

I've tried using Editra, but it has issues on Macs. :cry: Maybe I will try Atom too in the future.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

#18 Post by Sleepy »

Arowana wrote:
trooper6 wrote:
I've tried using Editra, but it has issues on Macs. :cry: Maybe I will try Atom too in the future.
Really? I'm also a mac user but I've never had issues with editra.

Occasionally if I try launching a script via ren'py to editra it'll crash but it always works on a reload.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#19 Post by trooper6 »

I'm also a Mac user and haven't had trouble with Editra on a Mac.

Side question: how would one find the Renpy plugin for Sublime text if I wanted to try it out?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#20 Post by Arowana »

Sleepy wrote: Really? I'm also a mac user but I've never had issues with editra.

Occasionally if I try launching a script via ren'py to editra it'll crash but it always works on a reload.
Hmm strange, maybe it's my computer then? I'm experiencing the same issues that were described here (I have a retina display too, if that's what's causing it). The font problem in particular is a deal breaker for me - my eyesight is terrible, so I need to increase the font size a lot.
trooper6 wrote:Side question: how would one find the Renpy plugin for Sublime text if I wanted to try it out?
You can find it under RenpyLanguage in the package installer (Tools -> Command Palette -> Package Control: Install Package -> search for RenpyLanguage). It was actually developed by Zetsubou here on LSF, so they're probably a good person to ask if you have questions. :)
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#21 Post by Zetsubou »

I'm using Sublime Text. Fast and extensible, with all of the features I need.
Arowana wrote:You can use Sublime in trial mode indefinitely if you don't want to pay for a license. As far as I know, the trial version has all the same features. You just get a popup once in a while asking you to purchase a license. I've only seen it once or twice so far, so I don't find it that annoying.
IIRC, the trial is indefinite, with all of the same features. The limitations are that you can't run dev builds (so you need to wait for new features to trickle down) and you get a popup every 100 saves. (Might be 50, idk)
Arowana wrote:
trooper6 wrote:Side question: how would one find the Renpy plugin for Sublime text if I wanted to try it out?
You can find it under RenpyLanguage in the package installer (Tools -> Command Palette -> Package Control: Install Package -> search for RenpyLanguage). It was actually developed by Zetsubou here on LSF, so they're probably a good person to ask if you have questions. :)
I think you need to install the package manager first. Simple enough to do though.
https://packagecontrol.io/installation

There are a couple of things I haven't yet added to the RenpyLanguage plugin (anything new since 6.99.12.2, syntax highlighting for the new GUI scheme), but overall it's fairly complete.
Pull requests and issues are always welcome: https://github.com/koroshiya/Sublime-Renpy
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#22 Post by zankizuna »

I just got a copy of Sublime 2.0 and use it for rpy... no package installation happened whatsoever.
:O the colors are still there, though. (y)

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#23 Post by Tempus »

Just dropping in to say I got so pissed off with WebStorm that I switched back to Notepad++ then got mad at that too and tried Sublime Text 3 and it's really nice! Only have a couple days experience with it but it's great so far. Thanks for mentioning that.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by indoneko »

Ok, I was tempted by Tempus' comment about Sublime and tried the portable version of it. It's nice... but I wonder if I could add any command to the right-click menu (like... for example, the toggle block comment which is available by right-clicking in Notepad++ ).

@zankizuna : you need to copy the package control first into the "Installed Packages" folder of your sublime text directory. Download it here :
https://packagecontrol.io/Package%20Con ... me-package

Then select :
Tools -> Command Palette -> Package Control: Install Package -> search for RenpyLanguage
Make sure your internet connection is running, and set your firewall to allow sublime text to connect to the internet.
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#25 Post by Zetsubou »

indoneko wrote:Ok, I was tempted by Tempus' comment about Sublime and tried the portable version of it. It's nice... but I wonder if I could add any command to the right-click menu (like... for example, the toggle block comment which is available by right-clicking in Notepad++ ).
You can (judging by the fact that JSHint has added itself to my right click menu). I haven't looked into how to do it though.
Tempus wrote:Just dropping in to say I got so pissed off with WebStorm that I switched back to Notepad++ then got mad at that too and tried Sublime Text 3 and it's really nice! Only have a couple days experience with it but it's great so far. Thanks for mentioning that.
Make sure to look through the plugins available. There are a lot to sift through, but a little bit of googling helps to find what's worth installing.
Things like running lint on save, automatically compiling templates, etc. has definitely been a big help for web development.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#26 Post by Tempus »

Zetsubou wrote:Make sure to look through the plugins available. There are a lot to sift through, but a little bit of googling helps to find what's worth installing.
Oh, I had to look through the plugins immediately to do the most important thing: choose a theme :D Really nice how easy it is to do that once you get the hang of it. The only (minor) gripe I really have so far is the expand selection commands don't really do what I want, nor do any plugins. I may have to look into writing my own.
indoneko wrote:Ok, I was tempted by Tempus' comment about Sublime and tried the portable version of it. It's nice... but I wonder if I could add any command to the right-click menu (like... for example, the toggle block comment which is available by right-clicking in Notepad++ ).
There's a shortcut for this -- select the text you wanna comment out and press shift+ctrl+/ to put it in a block comment. You can also comment out the line your cursor is on (without selecting anything) by pressing ctrl+/

Incidentally, a good way of finding the shortcuts for stuff is to go to preferences > key bindings then text search (ctrl+f) the left column (i.e., the default key bindings) for what you're interested in.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

mard
Regular

#27 Post by mard »

gedit for pretty much everything.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

PetrolJunk

#28 Post by PetrolJunk »

i use Notepad++ for everything so i made user-defined language for Renpy in it. I was going to post all the keywords i found so far on this board but as there are so many i didn't want it to appear as a huge wall of text. i'm new to the board so i wasn't sure if that would be an okay thing to do.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#29 Post by sasquatchii »

Editra - it was what Ren'Py recommended to me and I've been using it for a few years! I like it and I'm used to it now, so changing to anything else would be traumatic xD
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#30 Post by Katy133 »

I use Editra, but I set the text colours to "Dessert" (Under topbar menu --> Tools --> Style Editor), so that it's less bright and easier to read for long periods of time.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!