No love for development? 💔

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MarkAnime
Projects: working for a past two years on game first person shooter
Organization: self employed

Re: No love for development? 💔

#16 Post by MarkAnime »

I'm a game developer and coder. I'm creating video game from bottom to the top. Designer is the person who is telling me how the game will looks like, how its going to work.

Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

Re: No love for development? 💔

#17 Post by Sleepy »

gas wrote: While creating a visual novel doesn't usually require this, in fact REAL GAMES need one.
Visual novels are click click click read, see manga babes, read, click click click. No engineering required. It's almost all based on the quality of art and nothing else.

A section for developers it's useful? Not there. 99% users do linear standard visual novels from teenagers to teenagers, and there's no study of any game structure. Thankfully for them.
I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about different structures for building games, especially with the amount of VNs that do more than linear or branching choice gameplay? Games like Danganronpa or Ace Attorney count as VNs as much as a kinetic novel and games like Mystic Messenger and even Digital: A Love Story show VNs in alternative formats than the standard. With the possibility of VR or AR, especially so.

That said, I'm not quite sure what section you'd put those sorts of talks under. Since even the asset dev sections focus more on the specific components of a game than how you put them together, and even those sections talk about the development process and game structuring to a degree.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image