Harem or non-romantic true route?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Harem or non-romantic true route?

#1 Post by Shinoki »

So, when it comes to true routes, there are a lot of opinions. Quite a decent amount of visual novels have true routes that wrap up the story and also feature the main girl/guy. There's an obvious preference from the creators when that happens. (ie. Clannad = Nagisa, Little Busters = Rin, etc.) I've seen people who are fine with that and people who aren't since that means their best girl/guy is shafted to the "less important" and "not the real romanced character."

But, how about a true route that features the harem ending where all the girls/guys come together to finish up whatever the story is about, whatever each of their respective routes contributed to the story?

Or a true route that doesn't have any romance, only ambiguous friendship and instead explores something else. Like, a true route that explores the main character's backstory and struggles in depth (since a lot of visual novels are guy meets girl and solves problem/trauma/battle and they live happily ever after)?

Any examples of a "true/unlockable" route that did something interesting that you think did it well?

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Re: Harem or non-romantic true route?

#2 Post by pyopyon »

Personally, I dislike true romance endings. I prefer endings where the romance contributes to a certain aspect of the MC, so that each ending is valid and helps the MC in a different way.

That makes the game more complete and allows for people to choose what they want to be the true ending. I like that freedom.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by indoneko »

IMO, the real message in Clannad series is not about Tomoya's relationship with Nagisa (or other girls), but more about Tomoya and his father (and how he's repeating the same mistake his father did). I only realized it later in Clannad After story... (and hence Nagisa is more fitting for the revelation of the true story compared to the other heroines).

I think Visual/Key had done relatively good job with their games. It would be awkward if Tomoya ended up marrying all heroines in Clannad (as Japan currently do not support Polygamy... or do they?). And it's just impossible to reach the true route (where Tomoya experiencing the same situation as his father) without making him have a child first....
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world

#4 Post by Shinoki »

indoneko wrote:IMO, the real message in Clannad series is not about Tomoya's relationship with Nagisa (or other girls), but more about Tomoya and his father (and how he's repeating the same mistake his father did). I only realized it later in Clannad After story... (and hence Nagisa is more fitting for the revelation of the true story compared to the other heroines).

I think Visual/Key had done relatively good job with their games. It would be awkward if Tomoya ended up marrying all heroines in Clannad (as Japan currently do not support Polygamy... or do they?). And it's just impossible to reach the true route (where Tomoya experiencing the same situation as his father) without making him have a child first....
Ah, that makes sense. I personally haven't played Clannad before. I understand that sometimes the main girl's route is the one that delivers the game's message the best. Nod nod. (Haha, I should probably play it to better understand it.)

In contrast, there have been some games where the main girl doesn't really fit though or is just completely out there though.

Like, Little Busters: while Rin is very important to the whole existence of the universe, I honestly really hated her originally since she's the main girl--meaning I had to read through like 3 editions of her route (Rin1, Rin2, Refrain). (Like Rin, I love you, but going through you 3 times is a little too much. I did get attached to her later on anyways.)

I guess it's a matter of balancing 'favoritism' and the message of the game?

Yunou
Regular

#5 Post by Yunou »

I don't care if the true route is focussed on one specific romance option, even if it isn't my favorite one. If that pairing makes more sense for the story then there's nothing wrong with it.

I do prefer harem-type endings where maybe even the romance isn't just monogamous, but honestly I just really want the true route to show how each other route came together in the end to make the true route possible. I don't like routes being standalone--they should explore facets of other characters which lead other characters to make decisions/lead the MC to make certain decisions that will affect the true ending. Even if the romance endings don't pan out, the decisions made on those paths should hold some water.

I may be the odd one here but I can't stand "friendship endings". Not for me. I can see how they could work for some stories, but I'm not interested in them at least in my own stories. I like the true route to have a specific romance or romances, but more importantly than the romance the true ending should have that click or "a-ha!" moment when you realise why each of the other routes were important. I feel like MC's backstory should have already been explored in the other paths, but maybe all of it makes more sense in the true path when you put the snippets together. But simply bringing the story together with no canonized romance feels like it leaves me hanging and disappointed, I need closure.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by indoneko »

Yunou wrote:but more importantly than the romance the true ending should have that click or "a-ha!" moment when you realise why each of the other routes were important.
Totally agree with this. The value of the whole story should be more than the sum of it's parts.
Shinoki wrote:I guess it's a matter of balancing 'favoritism' and the message of the game?
Not sure if it's only a matter of balance. But I kinda agree with Yunou; it's ok to make the true route focused on one specific romance option, if that pairing makes more sense for the story (even if its not my favorite).

Btw, if you're going to play Clannad, it's good idea to leave Nagisa's route as the last and pursue the others first. And have some tissues with you... just in case. :3
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#7 Post by TheJerminator15 »

I like the idea of a friendship ending, though I think that would heavily depend on the execution (especially in a romance oriented game) since naturally if other routes have a romantic route the player would expect one purely on precedent if nothing else. Possibly if it worked like the childhood friend ending in Amagami SS (they remain friends and it remains open ended until a continuation of the route has them confess to each other months later). But even that one has romantic implications from the get go.

Honestly, I hate harems in general so having a harem true end would grate me, if only because to me it'd seem like a cop out. Maybe if it worked something like Rewrite's Moon and Terra arc, where there is no actual romance and it's simply everyone working together. But having a romantic harem route is something I'm not interested in personally but would play through, and having it as the true route is something I definitely wouldn't like.

I think the main problem with true routes is that it's typically forced down our throats from the get go that this specific girl/route is the main one. Princess Evangile does it for example, where literally all of the little backstory and tragic past the MC has is connected to one girl.

The best way to do a true route would most likely be as you suggested one that unlocks after playing all routes, since that's something I also like as a design decision.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

#8 Post by Sleepy »

I think a true ending, harem or on one person, can work but it definitely depends on the game. As a player, I generally dislike romantic games that have a true ending that revolves around one character, since it makes the other characters feel like filler and devalues their routes. Plus, it ends up making me feel like I have to romance someone if I want to see the full story, which turns me off.

Two games I felt where it worked, though, was in Steins; Gate and Arcana Famigilia. In Steins; Gate, while you have a seemingly harem-like scenario with various girls and endings tied to them, it had a core narrative that was the center of the game and deviations from it weren't because Okabe decided to run off with a new love interest but because he loses his nerve to continue down the true ending path. Okabe's true love interest being Kurisu makes sense, then, because romance was never really the point of the game.

In Arcana Famigilia, the 'true' end is a cross between harem/platonic, and occurs as an extension of the normal ending and unlocks when you finish everyone else's routes. The game sets up the premise of growing your power via making bonds with others and, by choosing not to romance anyone, it recognizes you chose to prioritize many platonic bonds over one strong romantic one. The heroine still fulfills her goals in it, becomes the head of the family, and has all her love interests to assist her with her leadership. Part of my fondness of this one is mostly because many games punish you for not romancing anyone or the normal/single ending is obviously shortened or gimped compared to the other routes, whereas here the ending is treated equally to the paired endings.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

The game that I will always, always link when discussing true routes is Cyanide Tea' s Taarradhin. It ties everything together very well, and is the route where the main character shows true growth and development. I would highly recommend playing it; it takes about 2 hours at most.

The true ending here is clearly platonic, but depending on your game a harem sort of ending could work better depending on your story.

Shinoki
Veteran

#10 Post by Shinoki »

Thanks for all your replies.

I should probably check out some of those visual novels.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#11 Post by Zelan »

Shinoki wrote:Thanks for all your replies.

I should probably check out some of those visual novels.
Since you made this comment, I'm gonna once again insistently point you towards Taarradhin. I know it's probably annoying/a little spammy to have me make two nearly back-to-back posts about it, but as one of the earlier visual novels that I ever read it was also the first time I'd ever seen a "true" ending and the way it was handled was so impressive to Younger Zelan. Plus, like I said, it's on the shorter side, especially if you start using the skip function (which you likely will since you have to unlock the other 4 endings before the 5th and final true ending). c: If you do end up playing it, I hope it helps you to sort this out! And I promise I will shut up about it now. (But if you do end up playing it and want to discuss it, please do drop me a line, it's one of my favorites.)