Creative Commons vs Protoypes for commercial products

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MorchellaGames

Creative Commons vs Protoypes for commercial products

#1 Post by MorchellaGames »

Hey!

Not sure if this question belongs to the Creative Commons section of the forums, but since the description of that forum states that its for posting actual assets, I'll ask here.

I'm currently working on a prototype for something that will eventually become a commercial product.
Because I currently don't have an artist, I'd like to use assets posted in the Creative Commons forum section in order to build this prototype, and post it to start getting feedback on the story/gameplay. Now, the prototype will be completely thrown away as I'm switching engines and, of course, the CC assets would NEVER end up in the final product.

So, my question is this: do you think it's OK to use CC assets in a publicly released demo/prototype of an eventually commercial product?

I'm mainly wondering because, in a way, I'd be using someone else's assets to promote, albeit indirectly, a commercial product.

I guess I could ask each creator for their permission in this special case, but I was wondering if anyone had insight on this.

Thanks!

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

Re: Creative Commons vs Protoypes for commercial products

#2 Post by TheJerminator15 »

Assuming the demo is free then there should be little problem with it to my knowledge as long as the people who created the assets are credited and (if they state permission is required) you get their consent.

You may also want to add a screen in the game as it is starting up which states that it is only a prototype however, so that people don't mistake the CC assets for finalised ones.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#3 Post by Mammon »

TheJerminator15 wrote:Assuming the demo is free then there should be little problem with it to my knowledge as long as the people who created the assets are credited and (if they state permission is required) you get their consent.
Seconding this. Also, take a look at the CC's licence, if there's no noncommercial clause then you're good regardless of the situation. As long as the demo is free then there shouldn't be a lot of problems with the CCs but if you plan to generate any form of income from it then it might get tricky. (F.e. Kickstarter as mentioned below)
Last edited by Mammon on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by indoneko »

If you put the demo in Kickstarter, then it will be counted as commercial (even if you let people to play the demo for free). CMIIW...
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

MorchellaGames

#5 Post by MorchellaGames »

Yeah, this prototype would certainly never end up on Kickstarter either.

Thanks for the answers, guys.