" Dance " official thread

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Binki
Regular

" Dance " official thread

#1 Post by Binki »

I've decided to make a game called " Dance " for NanaRenO. Basically you are an average guy trying to snag a good date before the dance. There will be 4 girls to choose from You have to earn the money for a tux while wooing your girl. You have 2 weeks. It is kinda like One Week ^_^;;
I NEED A PROGRAMMER!
I NEED A PROGRAMMER!
I NEED A PROGRAMMER! XD

Art so far :

Asuka : Image

I want opinions and A PROGRAMMER!

Binki
Regular

#2 Post by Binki »

haracters:
Nouta ( Sp? ):
Description: You are not overly atheletic or acedemic nor are you particularly popular, but you have some friends and are fairly hansome. You have to win the girls with your personality.

Kimiko:
Personality/description: Kimiko is a feisty girl who likes to be promiscuous and rude. Underneath her hardened extirior is a frightened and fragile girl trying to cope with the death of her older brother.

Motoko:
Personality/Description: The most popular girl in your school. She is pretty, smart, and outgoing. Oddly enough she hasn't yet got a date for the dance...

Asuka:
Personality/Description: A childhood friend of yours but latley you have been growing apart. She is very sweet and smart but is very lonley and is hurting from a break up that happened a year ago.

Eimi:
Personality/description: Shy and super cute, Eimi is constantly being chased by the boys in a very careless fashion. She is quite popular in her grade.

I hope those aren't too stereotypical ^_^

Heres the progress :
Story: 20% ( Only the concept so far )
BGs: 50% ( I have to filter them in photoshop and resize, but I have them all )
Design: 10%
Chara: 50% ( I've got the design. I just need to make the images. )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kimiko: 50%
Char: 100%
Art: : 0 %
Ending: 0%

Motoko: 50%

Asuka: 50%
Art: : 100 %

Eimi: 55%
Ending: 10%

Assembly: 0%
Testing: 0%
Music: 0% (optional)

Sai
Winged Hybrid

Re: " Dance " official thread

#3 Post by Sai »

Binki wrote: I NEED A PROGRAMMER!
I NEED A PROGRAMMER!
I NEED A PROGRAMMER! XD

Someone was offering to do programming in the visual novels section of the Megatokyo forums, although I don't know if they're still around you could check out their profile on Megatokyo and send them an email asking if they'd like to program for your game perhaps.
The read was here:
http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1694918

Good luck.

Binki
Regular

Re: " Dance " official thread

#4 Post by Binki »

Sai wrote:
Binki wrote: I NEED A PROGRAMMER!
I NEED A PROGRAMMER!
I NEED A PROGRAMMER! XD

Someone was offering to do programming in the visual novels section of the Megatokyo forums, although I don't know if they're still around you could check out their profile on Megatokyo and send them an email asking if they'd like to program for your game perhaps.
The read was here:
http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1694918

Good luck.
^_^ thanks! I think the server is being evil overthere right now so i'll have sit tight

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#5 Post by Megaman Z »

I could help you, but my primary brain is recovering from standardized testing. (FCAT, anyone?). also, the programming language I am accustomed to using, VisBASIC, might not be what you're looking for, and I'm not quite comfortable enough with ren'py to use it... yet... maybe in another couple of days...

as far as opinions go:
(c)haracters (you left out the "C"!):

Nouta: pretty much describes the character that the player would (indirectly) control in my game, only yours has friends, mine does not.

Kimiko: no comment.

Motoko: again, no comment.

Asuka: break-up with whom? (if it's a spoiler, don't bother answering this)

Eimi: how is it that shyness and cuteness always go hand-in-hand? I've noticed this in just about every ren'ai game to date i've played where the player is male.

/(c)haracters

story: hmm... based on what little you told [us], this might actually be a little unique, but then again, I never played One Week.

artwork: in general (as in not on this project specifically), it seems to be coming along steadily, based on what you've posted here. just don't rush it, and I'm sure the artwork will have ~some~ guys drooling... (not me, fortunately :) )

(Off-topic: anyone seen Shadosa around? if you do, give him a wake-up call. and make sure it hurts!)
~Kitsune Zeta

Gloranor
Regular

#6 Post by Gloranor »

Well, the new comic was posted just a while ago, so probably everyone is reading&writing in the story discussion, arguing the same old question...over and over... again *g*

That being said... if you want to use Ren'Py and don't intend to do anything out of the ordinary, you don't really need to have a programmer - just play the demo and read it's source, then read the tutorital for any open questions ;-)

The characters are all somewhat stereotypical, but creating really original characters is difficult to nearly impossible (esp. in a school setting)... and being stereotypical isn't automatically bad, anyway.

BTW, IMHO you went a bit overboard with the hair in front of her face... the hair would constantly in front of her eyes (which is *really* irritating, speaking from personal experience), and the two (um, lacking a better word) "fingers" really look unnatural (and whats that around her right eye?).
Beside that, she looks nice (certainly much better than anything I could ever draw *g*).

Keep up the good work ;-)

Binki
Regular

#7 Post by Binki »

Heh ^_^ I know what you mean. My hair is like that, but you learn to see around it .. I'm going to try Ren'py but it'd be nice to have some help ^_^

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#8 Post by rioka »

That's what this thread is for: Ren'Py NaNoRenO Support Thread

Looks like you're doing fairly well so far. =)
Megaman Z wrote:I'm sure the artwork will have ~some~ guys drooling... (not me, fortunately :) )
You shouldn't judge until you've seen all of the characters. You may just eat your words. And that's the childhood friend - the more fiesty one will probably be completely different...

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#9 Post by chronoluminaire »

Binki wrote:I'm going to try Ren'py but it'd be nice to have some help ^_^
I recommend you do. There is really very little programming skill needed. And if you have questions, the Ren'Py forum is likely to get them answered pretty quickly, either by Py'Tom (the creator), me (if it's something I can answer), or any number of other users :)

Since you mention the player will have to earn some money, you'll have to give some thought to how you want to present the choices to the player. If it's a question of one choice per day on what to spend time on then that's very easy. More detailed than that will be a little more complex, but still doable.

The thing you really need to be doing is deciding precisely how the game will appear to the player, and specifically, writing every piece of text that the player sees. The first few lines that the player is greeted with initially; the text before each question and the text of each choice; how the girls are introduced to the player; and so on. There's always more text than you expect, so that's where I'd advise you direct your creative energies.

RedSlash
Veteran

#10 Post by RedSlash »

My hair is like that, but you learn to see around it ..
It is true. I've seen it around! But I think it still needs to be cut back a bit. It looks like she's got a huge chunk of hair on the left hanging out her head.

Story.. sounds interesting. Looking forward!

darkknight
Veteran

#11 Post by darkknight »

Megaman Z wrote:programming language I am accustomed to using, VisBASIC,
Visual basic is a good programming language, and easy to learn, but if it is no school related you should try to get away from it. Most employers are looking for HTML, JAVA, A+, and some c++.

And Binki dont give up too easy...if you have any questions just ask...some people might help
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Binki
Regular

#12 Post by Binki »

Thanks for your support you guys ^_^ I'll try and finish Kimiko today! I MIGHT give you a shot of her..

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#13 Post by Megaman Z »

I'll be waiting for a pic...

I'll start looking at how ren'py works again if you need someone to try something in it without screwing up your code, Binki. the only thing I'll need is placeholder art. (hopefully I won't find a bug like one of the last times I played around with it... [see the "ren'py release 0.7" announcement if you wanna know what the bug was])

[Almost forgot to login :oops: ]

DarkKnight: I don't use Visual BASIC just for games, I also use it to write programs to solve those little problems like figuring out EXACTLY WHAT I NEED TO PUT IN MY *.CRS (stepmania course) FILE TO HAVE DYNAMICALLY CHANGING MODIFIERS. (it's actually complicated: you have start time as decimal in seconds, DURATION (not end time) in seconds, and then EACH MODIFIER with possibly a XXX% prefix and a Yx suffix (percentage amplifier and rate of transition, respectively. some modifiers don't support these.) ON ONE LINE. problem is, the Step Editor only displays the time in seconds into the song at the current beat. (wait, I'm going off on one of my Bemani game rants again.)
~Kitsune Zeta

RedSlash
Veteran

#14 Post by RedSlash »

Visual Basic is good for creating GUI fast, but not the best language for games, IMO. Even CWDS moved away from their VB based engine to C++, and they say it's much better and more stable.

darkknight
Veteran

#15 Post by darkknight »

with that statement i made about visual basic I was talking about the "real world" their is very few jobs that will require an extensive knowledge of VB. But it is good to know
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....