Steam Workshop Integration

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

Steam Workshop Integration

#1 Post by dragondatingsim »

I have recently started looking into offering Steam Workshop support for our game.

I found this discussion about it, but that seems to be it:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37572

Besides integration with fan translations, we'd like to offer the workshop to give modders (who already have made a number of mods for our game) a central platform to upload their mods since I think this would do a lot to foster the community.

The above topic also mentions security concerns, but even with the possibilities of workshop items being able to execute c++ code in some games, I couldn't find an instance of the Steam workshop having been used for serious attacks - and some ren'py games like Everlasting Summer also already use the Steam Workshop. Apparently, the workshop items being attached to real accounts (and I think people need to own the game to upload corresponding workshop items) does enough to deter malicious attacks.

Has anyone else on this board thought about offering Steam Workshop integration, or maybe already done it?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Steam Workshop Integration

#2 Post by SundownKid »

It's kind of highly unusual to have workshop support for a visual novel. Usually visual novel "modding" is uncommon.

I feel fan translations would better be handled internally rather than in the Steam Workshop though. Giving translators your game's translation files will guarantee an easier process and everyone will be able to access it without having to jump through any more hoops.