Warning: Artist "Alvissa" [Resolved].

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DizzyKa
Projects: @GossamerAcademy

Warning: Artist "Alvissa" [Resolved].

#1 Post by DizzyKa »

Hello everyone,

The artist that goes by the name Alvissa here on the forums reached out to me to do work on my game. After an initial exploration which I paid for she pressed me for an advance so that she could replace a broken tablet stylus. I agreed, because it seemed as though she was putting in 110% and wanted to work on the project. I haven't heard from her since I sent the cash advance 12 days ago and I've reached out to her multiple times through email explaining that if I can't contact her I'll have to terminate our agreement.

I then decided to do some internet sleuthing and found on the forums that she was also working on another VN. I messaged the dev team and they responded that she also asked them for an advance and then went silent for months until they submitted a Paypal distpute. They are in the process of replacing her.

She produced high quality work initially which makes me think she must have commitment issues. In either case, beware!
Last edited by DizzyKa on Wed May 24, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

Re: Warning: Artist "Alvissa" scam.

#2 Post by LeetMusic »

Thanks for the heads up, sad and sorry to hear. You'd think that if someone wanted to be a financial scammer they could think of a better way to do it than ripping off small time game creators.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

Wrong forum, I'm afraid. I have to move this and will put it into "Creator Discussion".
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

hyesunxoxo
Regular
Completed: Reflections ~Dreams and Reality~, High School Otome
Projects: Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Purrfectly Ever After, HEROxTRIO, One Year of Apocalypse,
itch: hyesunxoxo

#4 Post by hyesunxoxo »

Thank you for the heads up, my friend! I'm sorry to hear what happened to you.

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

#5 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Having been scammed by a composer before, I'm disgusted that this sort of behavior is still happening. It's probably a good thing you decided to speak out before they got anyone else.

As for something specific to your situation, you can try Google's reverse image search to see if anything comes up for the art samples. If they show up as someone else's work, it might be a good idea to inform that person. But even if it is this scammer's original work, that doesn't give them the right to back out of their agreement, formal or not. If you haven't already, you might want to dispute the invoice. At any rate, I hope things go better from here.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#6 Post by Evy »

Man, I'm sorry that happened to you. I had the reverse situation happen where I drew a commission for someone and they kept asking for rainchecks on the $60 payment to prioritize bills, until a whole year later when I asked again and they blocked me.

I'll admit that I have some variety of "commitment issues" myself that are really just... frequent cases of artblock combined with being scatterbrained and a poor state of mental health, so I end up procrastinating often, but at least I try to maintain communication with my clients. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case with this person. This sort of thing is absolutely foul and gives other artists a bad name.

I'll stay on the lookout for this person. Hope the situation gets resolved soon.

DizzyKa
Projects: @GossamerAcademy

Re: Warning: Artist "Alvissa" [Resolved].

#7 Post by DizzyKa »

Thanks for the support all. The artist has just resurfaced and is in the process of trying to make amends with both projects. It thankfully turned out not to be a scam, but instead seems to be personal issues that should have been resolved and communicated before committing to large projects.

hyesunxoxo
Regular
Completed: Reflections ~Dreams and Reality~, High School Otome
Projects: Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Purrfectly Ever After, HEROxTRIO, One Year of Apocalypse,
itch: hyesunxoxo

#8 Post by hyesunxoxo »

Ah, thank goodness it turned out okay. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Yosalou

#9 Post by Yosalou »

I'm glad the issue has been resolved too. I myself have recently had the same issue, initially the artist was sending me the commissions regularly. However for the last 2 months she hasn't responded to any of my emails and hasn't sent me any updates for the most recent commissions.

waltermack
Projects: Alice in Neverland, Heart Fragment

#10 Post by waltermack »

glad to hear things ended up ok