WE NEED MORE LIGHT AND FLUFFY STUFF!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
angeliccarrotforgottologinlolz

Re: WE NEED MORE LIGHT AND FLUFFY STUFF!

#16 Post by angeliccarrotforgottologinlolz »

Ooo, good ideas...

But if I ever see another vampire thing again I'm going to strangle someone. <__< Personally, half of the people I know are like "OMGTWILIGHTVAMPIRESSEXYVAMPIREVAMPIREVAMPIREBLAHBLAHBLAHVAMPIREYAOIVAMPIRESARESOHOTTLOL"

Most of my ideas mix cute thing with scifi or extreme drama. I'm thinking about re-making my first game Be My Master, which is a cat-girl game and was the worst thing I ever spewed out, into a scifi love story thing... Yeah xD; And another idea is kinda like... Animal-eared people having trouble with their masters owning them ect.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#17 Post by papillon »

Personally, half of the people I know are like "OMGTWILIGHTVAMPIRESSEXYVAMPIREVAMPIREVAMPIREBLAHBLAHBLAHVAMPIREYAOIVAMPIRESARESOHOTTLOL"
You should tell them all to play Fatal Hearts! :)

(I dig vampires, but I haven't read Twilight, from what I've heard I think I'm a bit too old for it... :oops: )

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#18 Post by sake-bento »

lordcloudx, it looks delicious.

I never thought that vampires were particularly light and fluffy. Save for Karin who was supposed to be an exception to the rule, I always thought vampires were darker.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by musical74 »

vampiric catgirls....:)

The thing with vampires is they tend to be set in *darker* games and movies. Personally, I like the idea of a vampiress who is really bubbly, energetic, and happy-go-lucky...essentially the opposite of where they are usually set in. Maybe go so far as to make people not know she's a vampiress because she doesn't fit the mold at all?

Fantasy setting...make friends with faeries and sprites, find a local witch that is unfairly treated because she's a witch, but not the type of witch everyone is expecting so they all treat her badly, and you have to convince the town *Yo! It's OK to be a witch!"
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Dave the Twisted
Regular
Projects: 5 Minutes [Cute Story]

#20 Post by Dave the Twisted »

Here, I've got a bit of something in my head. Player Character is a 19-yr old man that was separated from his sister in a bombing 8 years ago. In the bombing, he loses all memories of his sister except for the fact he has one. 10 years later, the police, after some investigation, find 3 orphaned 12-yr old girls that could possibly be the sister of PC. None of the girls or the PC like needles, so they refuse to get a DNA test. The alternative is that PC must live with the three girls and determine which one is most likely PC's real sister. Slice-of-life with little girls ensues.

-Possibility of male support, PC's friend that will aid his judgment of the girls
-Possible twist ending where all three girls are biological sisters of PC
-I'm gonna say no to vampire catgirls for this particular concept.

Tell me what you think. More will come as I think of it.
For my next project I'm going to need a working toilet, a pair of pliers, a jar of cheez-whiz spread, 100 q-tips, a TV remote, a gearshift lever and a whole lot of duct tape. This is gonna be awesome.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#21 Post by Megaman Z »

Dave the Twisted wrote:Here, I've got a bit of something in my head. Player Character is a 19-yr old man that was separated from his sister in a bombing 8 years ago. In the bombing, he loses all memories of his sister except for the fact he has one. 10 years later, the police, after some investigation, find 3 orphaned 12-yr old girls that could possibly be the sister of PC. None of the girls or the PC like needles, so they refuse to get a DNA test. The alternative is that PC must live with the three girls and determine which one is most likely PC's real sister. Slice-of-life with little girls ensues.

-Possibility of male support, PC's friend that will aid his judgment of the girls
-Possible twist ending where all three girls are biological sisters of PC
-I'm gonna say no to vampire catgirls for this particular concept.

Tell me what you think. More will come as I think of it.
ignoring something in the back of my mind that screams someone did not do the research* (and applying rule of fun in it's place), this looks like a good concept.

oh, and don't mind me much. I may be an 18-year-old (turning 19 in February 2009), but I still enjoy [some] games that would otherwise be aimed at children.

* I could've sworn there was a way to do DNA testing without using needles. regardless, rule of fun trumps any such method. ^-^;;
~Kitsune Zeta

Dave the Twisted
Regular

#22 Post by Dave the Twisted »

For future reference, no I did not do the research. Not saying this in spite or in anger, just saying I have no knowledge in the field of forensics. Besides, we need to build the plot on something.
I suppose we could draw it so all three girls look enough like PC to be mistaken for family, but then that runs a risk of the three looking to much alike...
For my next project I'm going to need a working toilet, a pair of pliers, a jar of cheez-whiz spread, 100 q-tips, a TV remote, a gearshift lever and a whole lot of duct tape. This is gonna be awesome.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#23 Post by rioka »

papillon wrote:(I dig vampires, but I haven't read Twilight, from what I've heard I think I'm a bit too old for it... :oops: )
You should read it. I was reading an article interviewing the author and she said she made the story for herself (in her 30s) and it's something that teens and older women can pick up and get into. She also said that there is also an older set of women who follow the story other than teens.

But yeah, if anyone here makes a fluffy game, I say you should name it Cute Story! :D

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#24 Post by Vatina »

Really? I admit I have the same attitude towards Twilight as Papillon. Hmm maybe I'll consider looking into it....

As for cute and fluffy stuff... sure, some of it decent, if pulled off well. I can't write any myself though, same as many others here have said :P Maybe it's a doomed case? xD
I actually had an idea based on something like that which was very likely to become my next project. It's pushed down the line a bit now, though.

Dave the Twisted
Regular

#25 Post by Dave the Twisted »

Do you suppose we could all work on a big collaboration project? Here's what I had in mind:

-Everyone interested can sign up to do a short kinetic piece.
-Once we're done with ours, we send all our files to an editor who will work out any bugs on his end. (Naturally, we'll need a somewhat-skilled coder who can deal with a lot going on at once. I'm trying to anticipate the worst that could go wrong with this concept.)
-We throw it into a huge VN hotpot and it comes out as a VN composed of a series of short works by many authors. (Ever read Rising Stars of Manga? If so, you can sort of see what this will end up looking like.)

In simplicity, how I imagine this working is we start with how we would start a normal VN, but instead of making an install and build, we send all the raw files over to a compiler who then uses copypaste magic into a blank script.

To make things easier for our venerable editor, whomever that may end up as, we'd need to:

-Include a definitive title frame and end frame already coded into our skits
-Include a readme.txt including what needs to be listed in the credits at the final piece's end
-Include a 'maker's mark' in our files. We'd put all or part of our username in the filenames to easily identify which skit an error occurred in, such as missing or broken files.
-TEST PLAY THE PIECE BEFORE SUBMITTING IT
-Make sure we are satisfied with our creation before submitting (No take-backs here)

A final note: The pieces need to be relatively short works, with very few or no story branches, for simplicity's sake (and the sake of the editor's sanity). If you need a story branch, make sure it circles back into a story with no multiple endings.

Any objections to this idea? Am I in completely over my step or do I still have some overstepping to do yet?

EDIT: Some further thoughts on the matter, this could be a nice way to publicize some lesser-known artists so they get some requests to do more stuff, and if it goes far enough, to a commercial extent. (but that's thinking a little far ahead right now...)
Conversely, if people are pleased with the format we presented here, we could do it again for a Cute Story 2. Similarly, if this goes well, we could release collections of different genres in the same format.

Does this need to go in WIP/Recruitment instead?

AlphaProspector
Regular
Completed: The Circular Gate
Projects: Yume no Sono, Hoshi Agari, The Circular Gate, Koenchu Yonogi Seiyu Story (こえんちゅ!)
Organization: Primum Soft
Soundcloud: Primum Soundblast

#26 Post by AlphaProspector »

Before moving to the WIP wait for more people to acknowledge and comment on this. I won't deny it sounds interesting, although I would change the title to "Cute Stories" if many writers are going to contribute stories.

Umm, or maybe it might need a more 'attractive' title like "Precious Bright Day" or "Holy Mighty Honey: Cute Hearts Stories" or something engrishy like that. (note: this is a suggestion, not some ultimate truth =P)
Enjoy tranquillity. Paint reality with the colours of your imagination.

Primum Soft Website and Blog

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#27 Post by akemicchi »

That idea sounds super lovely. (;-; A compilation of cute stories from different authors... Personally, I'd be totally game for participating in it. <3

But I think a problem with the idea would probably be getting stuff finished and in. I'm a pretty notorious procrastinator, and now with the horrors of college and terror teachers looming over my shoulder, I have even less time to dedicate to my projects. A deadline for submissions would be a good idea, but how much time will we allowed to complete the project? Would there be a quota of stories to fulfill?

Also! Content! xD Just moe stuff? What's it limited to?

... Haha, but I am just jumping into the nitty-gritty stuff before we sort out the bigger issues, like how many people are willing to participate. xD;

Dave the Twisted
Regular

#28 Post by Dave the Twisted »

akemicchi wrote: But I think a problem with the idea would probably be getting stuff finished and in. I'm a pretty notorious procrastinator, and now with the horrors of college and terror teachers looming over my shoulder, I have even less time to dedicate to my projects. A deadline for submissions would be a good idea, but how much time will we allowed to complete the project? Would there be a quota of stories to fulfill?

Also! Content! xD Just moe stuff? What's it limited to?

... Haha, but I am just jumping into the nitty-gritty stuff before we sort out the bigger issues, like how many people are willing to participate. xD;
You think you were jumping into the nitty-gritty, a good half of my post was nittier and grittier than I've ever been before with a project concept. As far as content goes, I'm interpreting this thread as a call to undo the stranglehold the "grimdark" genre has on the OELVN community.

Ideas previously stated by Sake-bento:

-Typical shoujo manga. One average girl, lots of cute guys. Romance.
-Magical girl. Save the world.
-Fantasy world. Make friends with fairies or something. @.@
-Moe moe moe. Slice of life. Solve cute problems like finding a missing cat or making cookies.

As far as deadlines go:
-We can try having the writers set their own deadlines and negotiate it with the editor based on other people's deadlines. I still don't want to overload the editor with too much at once when we do get one.
-We could also do a "If I'm not done by (date), go on without me..." plan.
In this way, those that missed the first deadline can perfect their stories in time for the second project.
-We could also do multiple deadlines, one set in one date, we see how well that goes, and set up another once the first editing bout is done.

I want to start with at least a 5-story collection for now. If more want into the project, this can be adjusted.

This is still in "cool idea, but how do we do it?" mode, so everything is still adjustable.

EDIT: As far as Alpha's naming question goes, Rioka suggested naming it "Cute Story" so that's the working title, and like everything else, is subject to change. (Although you may be onto something with the Engrish...)

(Four edits in five minutes? I can't leave my posts alone to save my life...)

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#29 Post by akemicchi »

You think you were jumping into the nitty-gritty, a good half of my post was nittier and grittier than I've ever been before with a project concept.
Haha, yeah, that's what I said though, wasn't it? X'D

But it's totally not limited to just GxB, right, so long as it's cute and fluffy? Could it be BxG? GxG? BxB? :p (Haha, but then again, the target audience is probably female, isn't it?...) I'm also wondering, since they'll be short stories-- will there be a limit to the length of the story? Playtime, wordcount, or anything like that? Or will that be up to the author? (ie, as long as you can get it done in your deadline and it's not 3 hours of playtime.)

Dave the Twisted
Regular

#30 Post by Dave the Twisted »

I don't think our target audience is going to be exclusively girls. A lot of guys have a soft spot for this kind of stuff as well. Proof in point, Touhou Project does a lot with fluffy when it's not being downright creepy, all while maintaining an adamant male base.

I think length will be up to the author, if it can be finished in time and so long as it's not so long it can no longer be considered a short.

(Am I thinking too big for a guy with only 20 posts and no publications?)
Last edited by Dave the Twisted on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.