general question for the artists among us...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

general question for the artists among us...

#1 Post by Megaman Z »

how many of you would be interested in taking otherwise completed ren'py scripts that lack actual artwork and just doing the artwork for them.

The reason I'm asking is that I'd rather be able to take care of the scripting portion of it (using all-too-obvious placeholders) and get that out the door so that any artist that feels like it could work on the artwork of the game (which would then make the ren'py game "complete"). I think half the reason why my previous attempts at making VN's failed were because I would ultimately get hung up wanting artwork to be able to focus on the story. (I believe I have trained myself to ignore the fact that I don't have artwork now).

no guarantees on if I'll get any out this month (depends on how many "special events" I throw into my "learn ren'py" project, which may not even be released), but if there's people willing to do that as the "last step" (and NOT try to take credit for the storyline and related parts of the work of art* that is the VN in question), I'll just distribute pre-release versions that way, and the artists can just fill in the placeholder graphics on their own.

* - I call VNs works of art. I also call some games works of art, too. like Shoot-Em-Up games involving Bullet Hell [aka Danmaku shooters]
~Kitsune Zeta

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: general question for the artists among us...

#2 Post by JQuartz »

One thing that had always been in my mind is that offer like this should be proposed to people at deviantart cause that site contains a way larger(though might not be better) concentration of artist compared to lemmasoft.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Kaihaku
Regular

Re: general question for the artists among us...

#3 Post by Kaihaku »

Personally, I think the artists, like most people, would probably appreciate being more a part of the process rather than a step in assembly line. If an artist is shaping how the world and characters appear but doesn't have any influence on the story I think that would limit their interest, unless of course the story is stunning enough to captivate them, and potentially would cause some conflicts later. I suspect that it would be probably better to find an artist and work with them to shape the characters which then shape the story instead of just handing them a completed script. Yes, I know that commercial artists get handed scripts to fill all the time but they also get paid.