Single-Ending VN with Choices

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Emvy

Single-Ending VN with Choices

#1 Post by Emvy »

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum so I apologize if this has been asked. I've done some digging but didn't quite find the viewpoints that I am looking for.

I am in the process of creating a visual novel. I am here to ask opinions on single-ending stories with choices. I've gone back and forth about how best to tell this story. At first, I was thinking more of a kinetic novel, because I don't really want more than one ending.

But, I find that I would like to give the reader some options as far as choices go. They wouldn't be plot altering choices, but I would like to give them the option to make interpersonal connections with side characters, to open bonus scenes during the game. It is a detective novel, so those bonus scenes could yield extra clues, introduce alternate suspects, but they could also just give you a chance to make a friend or give you background into a character that maybe you don't know so well.

I would also like to use the choices to give you the opportunity to see if you as the reader/player remember certain clues or tidbits about the case as they come up in conversation. You wouldn't necessarily be penalized for not remembering, but it would be more like using a callback to a prior scene or conversation as a chance to see if you are putting the pieces of the mystery together.

So what do you guys think? Are those gameplay mechanics worth changing this from a kinetic novel?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Single-Ending VN with Choices

#2 Post by Mammon »

From the one end I do wonder how you'd envision a game with choices that would lead to improving one's investigation without having this result in a different ending, it's quite un-Ren'py like, from the other hand I can see it happen. Delight games makes such stories with plenty of choices but a single end, instead of splitting routes they give choices that will end well or bad and it's up to you to collect cool points and prevent your hp going down to 0. Such a system with style points determining the awesomeness of your investigation rather than making a bad ending does seem like something that can work. However, DL tends to release their games in episodes, so the next chapter has to start where the last one ended and thus route splits would be difficult with their format. For a Ren'py game that is completely released from beginning to end, it's not as much of a problem. So I'm not sure if you should refrain from splitting routes, unless you fear that the writing load will become too big with it.

Anyway, yes, I do think it can work. Do think over how you'll do it, though. Make sure the system you plan on using does enhance the game rather than being a tiresome or confusing mechanic.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Emvy

#3 Post by Emvy »

So, you have touched on some things that I was considering. While I don't plan to release my game in episodes, I would like to use the characters I create in other stories. They will be standalone but could reference (inconsequentially) past stories.

Also, yes the writing load is something I have pondered, but I don't think that would be my main issue. I think my main issue would be getting to the end, and having to invest all that time again for a different ending. If the game is on the longer side, I'm not sure if multiple endings would put people off to it. I also don't want people to get to the end and feel upset because they got a "bad ending" instead of being rewarded for the work they put into the investigation.

As far as making the game tiresome, my plan is to give you the option to interact with other characters or politely (or maybe impolitely given the circumstances of the situation) brush them off if you choose. You would be able to get through the main story just fine without the additional content.

An example:

You are having a discussion with the medical examiner. You have the option to be appreciative of what they've been able to gather you so far, or ask them why on earth the autopsy is taking so long.

Whichever you choose will yield a similar response. The information gained will be the same but the tone of the NPC will change. Maybe they are friendly, they thank you, and let you know that they haven't quite finished up the report because they are waiting on some test results to get back from the lab. They offer to have dinner with you, and extend the conversation while you wait for the test results. Or, maybe they feel rebuffed by your snippy response, and tell you what is taking so long, but don't offer a drink/conversation.

Should they offer the drink, you can decline (I'd love to but I am swamped with this case etc.) or you can accept, and go over some details of the case with them during conversation. Maybe they know something you don't and can give you a clue. Maybe they don't have a clue, but the interaction makes them contact you later in the story (because they remember you were nice to them), instead of your rival, giving you a lead and denying your rival the opportunity to lord the information over you. In this case they would still end up giving you the information had you not had that drink, but the extra scene gives you the chance to make a personal connection.

In the example the decision doesn't change the plot, but they could offer a richer experience if you were inclined. I suppose I could add in multiple endings, I just don't want anyone to feel cheated by having to go through all that work again.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I like the idea that you have here a lot (side content is always fantastic), and I definitely understand where you're going with it. Some people write murder mystery VNs where the culprit is different depending on which route you're on, but "routes" tend to be only in romance VNs, and sometimes there's only one culprit anyway.

Although, when you say "one end," I would guess based on the information that you've provided that there might be minor changes in dialogue and such based on choices made earlier. For instance, the culprit is always the same person, and is always found and brought to justice, but perhaps in one playthrough a player barely figures this out in time and their supervisor calls them out for it, while in another the player solves the investigation easily and is praised accordingly. These differences aren't really enough to call them full-fledged different endings, but some small details can be changed to reflect earlier events without reworking the entire script.

An option that you could go with if you're concerned that people will think "choices means multiple endings" would be to expand upon the side content with short epilogues taking place after the conclusion of the main story. That way, if someone only wants to play the main ending, they can do that, but those of us who are completionists and like unlocking all of the available content can go for all of them.

Emvy

#5 Post by Emvy »

Yes, you understand me perfectly. The culprit will be the same, and you will be lead down the path to catch them. That won't change but the conversations and side content will be different depending on the choices. I do like your epilogue suggestion. I could totally see that working to the reader's benefit without hurting the storytelling at all.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

Emvy wrote:Yes, you understand me perfectly. The culprit will be the same, and you will be lead down the path to catch them. That won't change but the conversations and side content will be different depending on the choices. I do like your epilogue suggestion. I could totally see that working to the reader's benefit without hurting the storytelling at all.
Glad I could be of some help. c: I hope to see more information about your project in the future!

Keyalha

#7 Post by Keyalha »

Muv Luv Alterantive had only one ending but still had choices. And its the highest rated VN since its release that has yet to be surpassed. So yeah it works if executed competently.