Jump scares in a game that isn't an horror game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

Jump scares in a game that isn't an horror game

#1 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

How far you can get with surprises? Part of making an interesting game is to surprise people,
but a, say, spy cam on their rooms isn't a pleasant gimmick.
Do you need to announce your game will have jump scares?

FluffyCakeFactory
Regular
itch: fluffycakefactory

Re: Jump scares in a game that isn't an horror game

#2 Post by FluffyCakeFactory »

I think you should warn the audience about jump scares. There are people who have conditions whichbmake it hard to deal with jump scares. For example I can't deal with them because they instantly get me close to a panic attack on bad days.

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#3 Post by bluebirdplays »

Yeah, I agree, definitely warn people about jump scares. Even if it's not that bad, you don't know how it'll affect different players. I'd say a warning would be more than sufficient though, and maybe stating or claiming how much a player might expect from their play through.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

磯七ラスミ wrote:Do you need to announce your game will have jump scares?
Please do, so I know not to buy it. :wink:

All kidding aside, it is in very bad form not to announce something like jump scares, because some people physically can't handle such things. I just dislike them whether it's a horror game or not. Cheap way to get a fear reaction without needing to build actual tension.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#5 Post by qirien »

Before including something like a jump scare, consider what you want the reader to feel.

People play a horror game because they want to feel dread and feel startled and be horrified. People play spy games because they want to feel tension and suspense. People play romance games because they want to feel romantic. (Sure, there are other reasons, but as writers we are essentially emotion hackers).

If you are making a game with random, startling things, you need to communicate by your title screen, introduction, subject material, summary, etc, that this is a game for people who want to feel surprised, startled, and puzzled. Then people who want to feel that way will try your game and be pleased, and people that aren't interested in those feelings will know to stay away.
Finished games: