A good place to get second opinions?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
LiveTurkey
Regular

A good place to get second opinions?

#1 Post by LiveTurkey »

I'm creating a game and thus I'm commissioning a lot of art for my game (since I can't draw).

I've run into two problems.

1. I can't tell which style is better. I'm talking to a lot of different artists who each showed me a sample of what their styles would look like. Each is a little different. I don't want to spend my entire budget on one artist because I like his style more while 99% of players would have liked another style.

2. I don't know how to explain the mistakes and this is a much bigger problem. One of the biggest issues that I've run into while trying to hire an artists is that a lot of them have not mastered drawing the faces of characters. The body's and clothing is well detailed and intricately drawn but the face is a little off. The problem is that I don't know exactly what is causing the drawn face to look weird. It's not like I could tell the artists something like move the eyes closer a centimeter and make them bigger. I just know that it looks weird and not proportional for some reason.

Both these problems would easily be solved if I had a group (around 5) of very experienced artists that I could send my received commissions too and they could give me a second opinion and tell me what the artist is doing wrong (since they will be able to notice art mistakes) which I would then relay back to the artist. Is there any way to find a resources like this?

I don't want to just start posting my commissioned art to places like here or 4chan to get opinions because it's not even close to being at that stage of completion. I need like a private handful of people that can help me.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: A good place to get second opinions?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

You don't need "5 experienced artists" to tell you what art style is better. It sounds like what you need is to learn about art. You don't have to know how to draw to recognize good art. Just like, hang around art forums and look at the feedback advice artists give to other artists and use that to improve your own knowledge.

Or, I don't know, look at manga or anime that are widely known as artistically merited and see how it differs from your own art examples. It's something that will help you in the future and become less dependent on other people.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#3 Post by Scribbles »

pick an artists whose style you LOVE, you are going to be staring at that art for HOURS and HOURS while you code, write, and bug test.

I second what sundownkid said, learning about art even while not being able to really draw it will help you a lot. I know some basics though I can't draw to save my life, so if I see other art I can sorta point out things that are off.
Image - Image -Image

juunishi master
Regular
Organization: Linemancer Works
itch: juunishi-master

#4 Post by juunishi master »

Eh, I second Scribbles about pick an artist whose style you love.

Don't hesitate to point out something you feel off to the artist. I believe you at least will say that the chin in Gakuen Handsome characters is waaaay too long and too sharp. Don't need 5 experienced artists to tell that, I think.