Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
I'm trying to make sure it doesn't become an 18+ game.
The things that the game has that would help or harm the rating:
1. No nudity or sex
2. Characters dying, (but no blood is shown)
3. Lots of fighting and violence
4. No blood. (I might add some later down the line.)
5. Harsh language, such as: crap, s***, ass****, and some variations of the word f***.
the only swearing that is censored in the game is the F-bomb.
The F-bomb is censored with asterisks in the game, like this --> F***
Is this passable for my game to be considered less than 18+?
What rating would it be?
Any advise for me and others that want to know about game ratings?
The services which host video games have different guidelines. For instance, there's a detailed page about what iTunes does not permit in apps. I tried to find information about what is permissible on GOG and Steam... but I didn't have much success. Be sure to do some research.JayBlue wrote:Is this passable for my game to be considered less than 18+?
What rating would it be?
It might help to look at other content rating systems. The ESRB has a ratings guide, and so does the MPAA. From what I've experienced, those organizations would consider entertainment with bloodless violence and a lack of on-screen sex to be relatively worksafe. I think that *if* they rated your story, it would get at most an "R" Restricted rating, or an "M" Mature rating.
- Posts: 445
- Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:06 pm
- Organization: Metasepia Games
- Deviantart: qirien
- Github: qirien
- Location: New Mexico, USA
Basically, you fill out a quiz and they tell you what the rating is.
What you've described so far sounds like a T or M game to me, though.
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 pm
- Completed: 5 Minute Math, Containment, The Great Attractor
- Projects: Falling Leaves, my own music + some non-VN client work
- Organization: Audio Cabin from The North
- Skype: composermarkuslappalainen
- Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen
- Location: Norway
My personal opinion, suggestive themes 16. Explicit clear full on nudity (doesnt matter the reason) 18.
Violence in general (think serious action movie) 13-16. Bloody violence, gore etc 18.
Ask yourself how close to Game of Thrones your VN is. If very (think GoT when it is "bad") then rate it 18. Teens have time to explore those thematics. There is no hurry to splash that stuff all around their minds. Those who want it will do it anyway regardless of the rating.
Just an opinion of a 27-year old
Users browsing this forum: No registered users