Content Restrictions

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Nazofox2501
Deviantart: RamblingFox2501

Content Restrictions

#1 Post by Nazofox2501 »

Nazo here.

So I realize that I have a better chance of doing something original. I got an idea for an 18+ game that's not a romance, but it's got explicit incest in it. With that in mind, I ask this: what restrictions are there in regards to content in visual novels? I'm talking about things like incest, exposed organs (visually), and certain curse words.

Knowing will help with whether I need to tone down the content of my ideas or not.

SuperbowserX
Veteran

Re: Content Restrictions

#2 Post by SuperbowserX »

okay then....

Anyway, it all depends on what your distribution mediums will be. If you are just releasing this game on a private website or in a private forum, then there should not be any problem.

If you are going to distribute it on Steam... Then, you may have some trouble, but from what I know the ESRB doesn't impact Steam.

and if you are going to release it on a mainstream (Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft) gaming console, then..............

Nazofox2501
Deviantart: RamblingFox2501

#3 Post by Nazofox2501 »

Um, I was just thinking of just the Ren'Py website for now. I have no name for myself, and I know this idea won't make it to consoles. (laughs) Steam...that's a thought, but I would have to tone down the content.

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#4 Post by SuperbowserX »

Oh sure by all means if you just want to release it on this forum then that's okay. I'd only suggest that you, out of curiosity, would be explicit and upfront about how intense the scenes get.