Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
How can I make a good trailer with these? What other programs are recommended for making a trailer?
And are there any good tutorials or trailer references I can watch?
Now to make a good trailer, I'd say you're going to need:
- good art assets of your own game (sprites, some of the best---but not spoilerish---CGs)
- good music, plus some voice acting snippets if you use the latter
- good sense of storytelling through visual means (which goes when)
- good aesthetics when choosing the supporting elements (fits with the game's GUI)
- decent skill in AE
I'm looking forward for the others' opinions about this as well.
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm
- Completed: The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
- Projects: The Butler Detective
- Tumblr: katy-133
- Deviantart: Katy133
- itch: katy133
- Location: Canada
Below are some links to some trailers I like. I tried to keep them all related to visual novels, thought some are not (but still intrigue me and have something to learn from).
Note the lengths of each trailer: Usually 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds long. Any longer is generally considered too long.
- Gorillaz 0:21
- Stories Untold 0:40
- Phantom Ban Detective 0:58
- Backstage Pass 1:01
- Lovely Little Thieves 1:01
- Night in the Woods 1:14
- Soul Slayer 1:20
- The Letter 1:37
- Pyre 1:46
- The Crown of Leaves 1:50
- Detroit: Become Human 4:09
- Good music (with visuals timed to the music) (Gorillaz, Night in the Woods).
- Cutting to a black background and a simple, small logo as the final visual. (Gorillaz, Night in the Woods)
- Animation (even subtle or limited animation is good).
- Fast cuts to lots of things. (Gorillaz, Night in the Woods)
- All the character sprites slide past in a quick lineup. (Backstage Pass)
- Music swells at an important moment. (Soulslayer)
- Illustrating the choices using Twine-like nodes. (Detroit: Become Human)
- The last cut we see is of the game's logo on a black background. (Gorillaz, Night in the Woods)
- Listing what else the creator has made (Night in the Woods)
- Different transitions (Tinder-style swipe left/right)
- Text and character quotes (Lovely Little Thieves)
- Layered parallax animation (Phantom Ban Detective, The Crown of Leaves, Pyre, Backstage Pass)
- Camera moving over 3D object (moving over 3D book close-up in The Crown of Leaves)
- Character sprite slides in
- Lighting (the candle in The Letter)
- Glitches (The Letter, Gorillaz)
- 2-second hand-drawn animation of characters (Backstage Pass)
- Logo shine/glint (Phantom Ban Detective)
- Flip character sprites to different poses (Phantom Ban Detective)
- Slow fade to black (Phantom Ban Detective)
- Lens flare (Phantom Ban Detective)
- Show WIP art, then final version (Lovely Little Thieves)
- Overlay videos (The Crown of Leaves)
- Sparkling stars
- Slow-motion floating objects (Stories Untold)
- Animated text (Pyre)
Hope this helps!
Users browsing this forum: No registered users