Nanie's Dingy Hovel - who knows what fail lies inside!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Nanie
Regular
Projects: Nanie's Zanie Adventure System [PnP]

Nanie's Dingy Hovel - who knows what fail lies inside!

#1 Post by Nanie »

Alrighty then. Now as a brief background I have made several games and stories over the years, but haha, never really finished any of the games - or many of the stories. I intend to make now some form or manner of game, but as things stand I really am terrible with artwork.

So I've brought this section up for updates of any essential progress, my general needs, what's going on and all that nonsense.

Artwork Potential: Crappy and poorly google/harvested imagery and some hand drawn hubba jubba. Perhaps I make a rough sketch and have a friend draw it. How interesting... A game where all CG is drawn. Somehow, I see that as a lovely and fearful thing.

Music Potential: See: Artwork Potential

Sound Effect Potential: See: Music Potential

Current Status:
Storyline Availability: Absurd
- Stories in mind -
Niji no Umi - Ghost of Bermuda
Brief Summary: The main protagonist has a fairly enigmatic dream that clearly seems important - as that's all he recalls when he gets up from a hard patch of grass stranded in the middle of a forest. This is a man's journey to find out who - or what - he is while attempting to pursue his almost childish ambition to save lives. Around the year 1995, our hero awakens in a foreign world with only his absurd sword, clothing, and enigmatic personality. Can you live long enough to be able to save your best friend you don't even know about?

Interactivity: Aimed at being more of a visual novel telling his story. Your choices affect his knowledge about his power, and depending on your choices during the game you may actually see the end.

Difficulty: Not meant to be really hard. Just meant to be neat.

Artwork: NONE so far besides crudely snagged and cropped wilderness scenes.

Status: Conceptual phase (Written down but being revised), early creation phase [First game also mind you]

Legend of Azarus - Fall of the Dark Swordsman

This is what I hope to release as a main project. I was more fond of this story :D

An example of my terrible pre-redraw artwork is This! Palo and Azarus xD

Edit: Hmm... Inkified isn't as bad when cleaned up.
Make a Nanie's Zanie Adventure Pen and Paper character for the hell of it! I'll send you your overly complex stat sheets! [PM me, I feel like having people play over the net or cool NPCs so SEND!]

bowling pin
Regular

Re: Nanie's Dingy Hovel - who knows what fail lies inside!

#2 Post by bowling pin »

When people go out of their way to say "hey, my game is doing pretty shitty right now!," do they expect anyone at all to be interested?

Nanie
Regular

#3 Post by Nanie »

bowling pin wrote:When people go out of their way to say "hey, my game is doing pretty shitty right now!," do they expect anyone at all to be interested?
The Description of 'Game-Maker's Corner' as by the Main Page wrote:Ideas for games or questions about making them? Feel free to come in and share!
I believe this constitutes exactly the purpose of this thread. I posted because I frankly, well, felt free to post here. :)

You expect I care at all if you're interested? Hah, ironic twist is you! *Points accusingly*

Well. Actually Bowling Pin, you would be surprised! Usually when people say things hinting toward the conceptual phases of a game and hinting to needing people to help, generally you either get constructive criticism, help, encouragement, or fail. I believe your statement is regarded as FAIL.

Next! :D
My game is doing shitty because it's not made. Yes. We all love games that are finished. But they all start somewhere right? This was made here to let people know that I am beginning the first stages of making a few games, but I have no experience at all using this program and frankly am not that great of an artist. This doesn't mean at all that I was saying "Heya guys! Look at this piece of crap, come on! YES!" In all actuality that was a fair bit of humor, because I guarantee everyone who has made games of great and popular value were once at this brick wall. Simply put, it's a bit of a joke while being informative. ^_^
More info:
Generally for games and worlds I make I make sure to have almost every extent possible of individuality covered. From cultural differences to unique weapons and armor I generally make this overly complex universe and the only real way people have explored it is through reading my old scribblings or playing my pen and paper games. Because my main block is artwork, I'm thinking that I can release an alpha with storyboard-like graphics drawn by me before a friend or something takes over to recreate my drawings. My main thing is that I want you guys to experience these worlds I've crafted, the lives of these people within it and all the craziness it entails. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Make a Nanie's Zanie Adventure Pen and Paper character for the hell of it! I'll send you your overly complex stat sheets! [PM me, I feel like having people play over the net or cool NPCs so SEND!]

Nanie
Regular

#4 Post by Nanie »

Hmm. Alright I would like to ask if anyone knows a way to disable saving until certain times? Sorry for the double post.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Showsni »

Nanie wrote:Hmm. Alright I would like to ask if anyone knows a way to disable saving until certain times? Sorry for the double post.
I guess you have to edit the config.game_menu thing; see here: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... #Game_Menu

This post looks like it should help you: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... ing#p38857 With appropriate modifications, of course.

Anyway, good luck!

Nanie
Regular

#6 Post by Nanie »

Thanks buddy, I'll look into it! :D

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#7 Post by JQuartz »

Ah the peaceful past. I can't believe someone refered you to my past post. Anyway do you need a coder? I've already completed my main menu generator so I currently am kind of free (can't go anywhere with broken legs, no school, no work). Anyhow good luck on your project.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Nanie
Regular

#8 Post by Nanie »

From the dead I have returned!

I have been working a lot with other pen and paper game projects, and other cool things, and am thinking of starting a group/business of friends here to form "Unlimited Nanie Works."

I have many project ideas, and Renpy will by my tool for a few of them. I will make crappy betas at first until I can get a friend to do art. In fact, I have a few who would probably do it for me. ^_^ I will update when I can.