Otome Game Query

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Barzini
Regular
Projects: Seat of Power, Our Final Moments, A More Beautiful World, Forgotten, Not Lost
Organization: Afterthought Studios
Tumblr: letsafterthoughtstudios

Otome Game Query

#1 Post by Barzini »

Dear all,

We've been thinking about it for awhile and would like your thoughts on this. Based on our research, most otome main characters (PLAYER) are either never shown or a rather generic girl character is shown.

How hesitant would you be, or how much would you like it if say:

We allowed you to choose, at the game startup, three female characters to pick from?

One would be the generic girl character, and two others would be based off cosplayers in real life. How is that idea?
Founder of Afterthought Studios

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Otome Game Query

#2 Post by Mammon »

The more generic a girl protagonist, the less likely I'll like the game. Only thing worse is a non-visible MC. I like protag girls, they tend to have character and development that love interests in otaku tend to lack, so I don't want my otome's to be shallow.

If it's a purely cosmetic difference, no story impact I assume for now, being able to choose her appearance would be quite nice but it wouldn't actually have a massive impact. It's the personality rather than the appearance that shouldn't be shallow. Although such a choice would still be quite neat.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

#3 Post by Sleepy »

I'm not only far less engaged with generic female protags but I'm also likely to dislike them. Especially in terms of personality. One of the issues I've had with otomes like Amnesia have been that it feels less like you're playing as a character and more like playing a wooden plank. I have vastly greater experiences playing as a heroine that's engaged with the plot and characters, and that involves letting them have a part in the story, since protags are very rarely actually meant to be the player.

This extends to appearances. While, arguably, you could have a generic or even faceless female protag and still have a personally, they're far more engaging when they have unique designs to them rather than looking like you went through a stock photo folder compared to everyone else.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

Limabaen
Regular

#4 Post by Limabaen »

I don't know how closely you'd base these two girls off real people, but to be honest I'd find that pretty weird. It's like those people who ship youtubers: intrusive and kind of gross. Even if you had specific endorsement from the real people, I'd feel odd playing out a constructed version of someone's live personality. It's one of the reasons I've avoided games like Asagao academy.

Also, with the exception of mobile games, if you look at otome games that have been localised you'll find that the majority of them have actual personalities and appearances. In original english language otomes, protagonists tend to be distinct characters in their own right as well. Generic girls actually get quite a lot of hate from otome communities for being uninteresting and weak willed. If you take a look at Norn 9, a game with three heroines too, you'll find that the least liked heroine is the generic cheerful innocent girl, and even she has some semblance of personality; not to mention a defined look.

I'm all for having multiple protagonists as long as the quality is consistent and the length is satisfactory. Multiple perspectives can be refreshing and help me stay interested for longer. But if you're going to do that, you should definitely consider making them all fleshed out characters. And if it were me, I would think very hard about the whole "based on cosplayer" thing, though in the end it is your jurisdiction.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#5 Post by YonYonYon »

I don't like generic protagonists, but protagonists based on real people are bad in my book too. Maybe it depends on how much they resemble their original counterparts, but the whole "based on real people" feels really off
ImageImage

Barzini
Regular
Projects: Seat of Power, Our Final Moments, A More Beautiful World, Forgotten, Not Lost

#6 Post by Barzini »

Would all of you then say that a well designed female character will be much better than one that is based off a real life person such as a cosplayer? I'm very inclined into not casting a generic female NPC or faceless NPC, but I'm hesitant on how I should pull off her appearance.

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Mammon »

I think we don't quite understand the 'based off a real life person such as a cosplayer' part enough to really comment on that accurately, I know I don't. Do you mean that you plan to copy the look of a cosplayer from the internet for the sprite but add an original personality completely unrelated to them, or that you'll copy both looks and personality, or something else entirely? And will this be a recogniseable appearance, if you copy someone that people will know? (For example if you were to copy a Haruhi or Tracer cosplayer's appearance, so recogniseable-ish but not the same)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Barzini
Regular

#8 Post by Barzini »

Hey Mammon, what I meant was to design the character's appearance after the cosplayer. It only affects the cosmetic appearance of the main character.

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#9 Post by YonYonYon »

But do you have to copy their appearance? Like, why would you do that? Should it be an incentive for players to buy the game? Because I still think it's weird

Well, if it's just because you don't know about character design and plan to use the cosplayers as a reference then I more or less understand and am fine with it. Tho I wouldn't advertise the game as "you can play as so and so from cosplay community!" Because it's weird.
ImageImage

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Mammon »

In that case, sure why not? If the personality is different and the look not too iconic, there should be no issue at all.

I assume you'll be taking a cosplayer rather than an anime sprite or other already drawn medium to prevent tracing/copying entirely, the conversion from real to drawn will prevent plagiasm. Be inspired by a Disney sprite, and your art style will probably be Disney-esk too. Copy from a Disney princess cosplayer, and the characteristics such as their eye method and impossibly small waists will not be included in your sprite. At least, I assume that is your motivation. There might be another one. But I assume you're planning on using a cosplayer without directly saying 'Based after this cosplayer!', just to make sure your sprite's clothes are anime.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Barzini
Regular

#11 Post by Barzini »

YonYonYon wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:27 am But do you have to copy their appearance? Like, why would you do that? Should it be an incentive for players to buy the game? Because I still think it's weird

Well, if it's just because you don't know about character design and plan to use the cosplayers as a reference then I more or less understand and am fine with it. Tho I wouldn't advertise the game as "you can play as so and so from cosplay community!" Because it's weird.
Hey there, it is to see about bringing the cosplayer's fanbase as a marketing angle.

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

Barzini
Regular

#12 Post by Barzini »

Mammon wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:59 am In that case, sure why not? If the personality is different and the look not too iconic, there should be no issue at all.

I assume you'll be taking a cosplayer rather than an anime sprite or other already drawn medium to prevent tracing/copying entirely, the conversion from real to drawn will prevent plagiasm. Be inspired by a Disney sprite, and your art style will probably be Disney-esk too. Copy from a Disney princess cosplayer, and the characteristics such as their eye method and impossibly small waists will not be included in your sprite. At least, I assume that is your motivation. There might be another one. But I assume you're planning on using a cosplayer without directly saying 'Based after this cosplayer!', just to make sure your sprite's clothes are anime.
Thank you so much for your valuable input! :) All of your feedback helps me craft the game!

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#13 Post by Googaboga »

I did a survey a month or so ago about what people wanted to see in a VN. I got a few hundred responses. When it came to the protag there were two strong camps; people who wanted a totally distinctly MC with a sprite and nice design, and people who wanted a main character they could customize as much as possible (this was the bigger of the two in the end). Very few people had an interest in an invisible MC or really generic one. But those who chose a customizeable MC might choose a generic or invisible one over a distinct MC if customization isn't an option because of budget or what have you. My fanbase is mostly otome players, so maybe that info is useful here.

To answer the question personally, I definitely wouldn't choose an MC design that was based off a real person when faced with that choice. I don't like generic looking MCs either, but that's still preferable.

Though I do think there's a good amount of people who enjoy romance games featuring characters based of off or that are directly meant to be real people.

Whatever you decide to go with, good luck!
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Barzini
Regular

#14 Post by Barzini »

Thank you so much, gbpatch :D

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#15 Post by trooper6 »

Barzini wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 am
YonYonYon wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:27 am But do you have to copy their appearance? Like, why would you do that? Should it be an incentive for players to buy the game? Because I still think it's weird

Hey there, it is to see about bringing the cosplayer's fanbase as a marketing angle.
Unless you got the permission of that cosplayer to use their likeness in a romance game, I'd feel really uncomfortable and wouldn't pick up the game. I mean, how would you feel if you spent a lot of time and effort and money gaining an audience and then someone just copies your face in hopes of leeching off of your work, and then puts this copy of you in romantic situations without your consent. That's pretty creepy and not very ethical in my book. It is probably *legal*, but I 'd say it isn't very ethical.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978