PC builds/OS talk/questions

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: PC builds/OS talk/questions

#16 Post by Scribbles »

D.ray wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:42 pm it would probably help to know the specs of your current laptop rig to best know what you can do to get better use of it. If it's a gaming rig as you stated, you really might only need to update your ram. You would be surprised how much a difference that can make. It could also be your cpu processor, or your graphics card since software like photoshop and the like require a good GPU (graphic processor unit) to run. Another reason why knowing the specs of your CPU is important.

i would recommend building your own rig, rather than ordering a custom one or buying it off the shelf since you'll save a lot of money. It might take some research on your part, but it's worth it unless you have a whole lot of cash laying around.

If you do decide to bulid a rig, I would recommend it have the following; a multiprocessor core, which will be able to handle running multiple applications at once, a good graphics card, which will run photoshop and any similar software smoothly, and a decent amount of ram. You could also include a Solid State Drive (SSD) as it will make your boot times and software run even faster. No need to buy a terabyte of SSD or a large amount. Simply something large enough that can handle the storage of your OS, and the applications you'll be running such as photoshop. You can then use a normal hard drive as a storage drive where you can store any actual files, projects, etc. A rig like this will will handle whatever you throw at it. You'll still need the actual computer case for housing, the power supply unit (PSU), a motherboard (MOBO), and a heatsink and fans for cooling, unless you want to get fancy and go for liquid cooling instead. You have to make sure everything is compatible with each other and then you should be good to go.
intel core i7 CPU @ 2.6ghz 8GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, and I only have the 1 large HDD, I'm thinking adding a SSD might help? As for graphics I believe I have a GeForce GTX 1070

I'm going to keep doing research, thanks for all the advice!
Image - Image -Image

D.ray
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams/Painting Your Skin/Garden Of Machines
Projects: Love Therapy /Heart of Thorns/Resurface
Tumblr: drayreedofficial
Soundcloud: drayreed

#17 Post by D.ray »

Scribbles wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 pm
intel core i7 CPU @ 2.6ghz 8GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, and I only have the 1 large HDD, I'm thinking adding a SSD might help? As for graphics I believe I have a GeForce GTX 1070
Given the specs you provided, I find it odd that you are having trouble at all. The i7 core should handle what you're doing and like most modern chips is a multicore. You also have a very good graphic card and what looks like sufficient RAM. In my opinion I think your issue is RAM. I don't use photoshop but I have heard it is very RAM hungry, and it could be 8gb isn't enough. I would look up the max amount of RAM you can install in your laptop and do that first. It should solve the problems you're having. If you want to get extra performance out of your laptop then you can get a SSD. If your laptop can support 2 drives, keep the HDD you have for storage, and get the SSD only to run applications. But I would upgrade your RAM before buying an SSD. If the RAM upgrade doesn't improve your performance, then I doubt buying an SSD would address your problems.
Get your Voice Over for games to sound the best.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#18 Post by Imperf3kt »

I doubt its RAM, tbh.
I can run (an old version) Photoshop on my custom built desktop from 2008 which has 8GB of RAM (2*(2*4) sticks) even while running multiple other applications.

The rest of the specs far exceed my specs as well.

I suspect you have a memory leak. Are you running a browser at the same time or has the system been up for many hours?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#19 Post by Scribbles »

Imperf3kt wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm I doubt its RAM, tbh.
I can run (an old version) Photoshop on my custom built desktop from 2008 which has 8GB of RAM (2*(2*4) sticks) even while running multiple other applications.

The rest of the specs far exceed my specs as well.

I suspect you have a memory leak. Are you running a browser at the same time or has the system been up for many hours?
both? I should probably shut my laptop off from time to time, and I usually have the web browser up because I have files on drive that I reference (I'm constantly looking things up as I work)
Image - Image -Image