PC builds/OS talk/questions

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

PC builds/OS talk/questions

#1 Post by Scribbles »

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this! I can delete or move if that's the case?

I was wondering what any of you would recommend for PC builds? as in where to go to build a custom one. I mainly use my gaming system and while it's great for games the memory is low so Photoshop and multiple programs run waaaaay too slowly on it. I want something with more memory that I can do my gamedev work on. (messing around with photoshop, writing code, having multiple documents open) I could just add more memory to my laptop, but I'm worried I'll screw it up doing that lol

also is linux a better OS for building renpy games on? I don't know much about that OS, but I've heard good things. I know a friend of mine from way back had a PC with all Three OS built into it (no idea how he had that). I really want to learn more programming and hardware stuff I hate struggling with it (I've been going through code academy for code learning!)

advice? thoughts? tips? opinions?
Image - Image -Image

Qwxlea
IRC Nick: qwxlea
Github: Qwxlea

Re: PC builds/OS talk/questions

#2 Post by Qwxlea »

Depending on how old your laptop is, adding more memory (8gb is what I recommend for semi-power-users) and an ssd drive will speed up your system substantially, and might be cheaper then a new system.

If you want to buy a new system, any modern processor you can buy is fast enough for photoshop and renpy, just make sure you have enough memory (8gb) and an ssd as a harddisk. What to buy depends more on budget then anything else.

As far as the OS, I personally use Linux and am very satisfied, but if you need photoshop then you need a Mac (first choice) or windows. Windows 10 is a reasonably good OS, just use it with enough memory.

If you want to go the Linux route then you can use Krita and gimp for your graphics. Krita is very nice, but photoshop is hard to replace.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I would recommend newegg.com for purchasing parts. They give some good deals from time to time.

Do be aware that some stock is "used"
By this I mean some guy bought x part, plugged it in, changed his mind and returned it to the manufacturer. Newegg bought this from the manufacturer (and probably thousands more) and sell it as 'new' for a lower than retail price.

Anyway, where you are might help. Newegg is based in America, but are globally available.
If you mention your country, currency and budget, I could put together an "I recommend this" build for you.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Scribbles »

Oh, I'll take a look at that site, I'm in the usa but I have no idea what my budget would be. I may have to suck it up and attempt to add memory to my laptop, it's still fairly new. Everything runs pretty well most of the time, but photoshop slows everything down to a crawl which I blame on my memory since it's only 8gb. I mean Ren'py runs just fine of course, but if I have it, editra, photoshop, firefox, discord, and word all open then my laptop makes angry noises at me. but I'm always hopping around in what I'm doing so it's a pain to open/close stuff constantly when it starts locking up

Linux might be too intimidating, but I'm going to keep looking into it.
Image - Image -Image

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

Linux is different, but not really too different from Windows depending on the distro you choose.
Go with Mint for an easier transition.

Twitter

Karl_C
Veteran

#6 Post by Karl_C »

Scribbles wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:23 am ...
also is linux a better OS for building renpy games on? I don't know much about that OS, but I've heard good things.
I personally use Linux for many years now and I'm very satisfied. But I doubt that Linux is "a better OS for building renpy games on".

Actually, the "Ren'Py Launcher" looks exactly the same on Linux and MS-Windows and has the same functions.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

^ the difference being that Windows is technically a port.

Twitter

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Scribbles »

I mainly like the idea of being able to test the game on multiple platforms myself so I can see how they look/run lol

I bought my laptop for gaming, so I'm just considering options if I buy a PC later for working. I mean I'm not COMPLETELY clueless about all that stuff.... but I am a little bit. Kinda wish I had stuck it out in that software engineering program ^^;;
Image - Image -Image

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#9 Post by SundownKid »

I suggest Windows for most builds, there's no advantage to Linux in terms of game development, and it's really more for the hardcore programming head types. I don't think you'll need to test the game on all OS either, if you're really concerned you can find beta testers who run different OS, but it will likely look exactly the same.

You might be able to upgrade the RAM in your laptop if it's a gaming one and avoid needing to make a new PC. If you do make one I suggest building it yourself, but honestly, if you can't upgrade laptop ram you will definitely not be able to build a PC. It's extremely easy, check Youtube.

Karl_C
Veteran

#10 Post by Karl_C »

SundownKid wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 am I suggest Windows for most builds, there's no advantage to Linux in terms of game development, and it's really more for the hardcore programming head types.
This was true around 17 years ago. Actually, nowadays a simple copy & paste is much more complicated under MS-Windows than Linux :D

MS-Windows:
  • select text
  • CTRL+C or CTRL+INSERT
  • select insertion point
  • CTRL+V or SHIFT+INS
Linux with KDE:
  • select text
  • insert text with the middle mouse button at insertion point
But I think if somebody is used to keyboard shortcuts, there's no need to change to Linux for Ren'Py game development.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#11 Post by SundownKid »

Karl_C wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:34 pm
SundownKid wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 am I suggest Windows for most builds, there's no advantage to Linux in terms of game development, and it's really more for the hardcore programming head types.
This was true around 17 years ago. Actually, nowadays a simple copy & paste is much more complicated under MS-Windows than Linux :D
Sure, although that's kind of like saying that a door handle is more complicated than an automatic sliding door. Either way it's still easy. Also, making door keys is for casual users, you need to go to locksmithing school and scrape your own key by hand if you want to get into your house. At least you didn't buy your keys from THE MAN!

(Okay, there is an advantage in the form of not having those constant nagging security updates that force quit your machine. But I was able to disable the force quit part and it mostly doesn't bother me anymore).

Karl_C
Veteran

#12 Post by Karl_C »

SundownKid wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:04 pm Sure, although that's kind of like saying that a door handle is more complicated than an automatic sliding door. Either way it's still easy. Also, making door keys is for casual users, you need to go to locksmithing school and scrape your own key by hand if you want to get into your house. At least you didn't buy your keys from THE MAN!

(Okay, there is an advantage in the form of not having those constant nagging security updates that force quit your machine. But I was able to disable the force quit part and it mostly doesn't bother me anymore).
I fear this discussion will lead to nowhere. So I better agree with you: MS-Windows is the best and greatest piece of software ever built (except CNTRL-C and other keyboard shortcuts, which were not invented by Microsoft, but at Xerox PARC in Palo Alto in the 1970s)... ;)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Imperf3kt »

Different OS are different. One being better or worse is entirely perceptional (in todays world)

On that note, I like being able to see all my files run by simply double clicking an icon. In Windows, you can create said icon through powershell (right click on the exe > send shortcut to desktop DONE) This other, somewhat annoying OS, forces me to write a bash script, create a .desktop file, place them in the correct folders and then create a clickable icon after which I must set permissions or it won't do anything.

2 seconds vs 2 minutes plus research.

Nobody here is claiming Windows is the best OS around, merely that they prefer it so you can drop the sarcasm.
If you prefer Linux, thats great. I personally hate Linux, but I can see it has merits to using it.

Now, before PyTom has to lock the thread, lets get back to the topic at hand.
How does your game, built using Ren'Py, look and work on different OS?
I believe the answer to that is irrelevant - it works the same and feels the same. At least in my experience.
Where you will notice a difference is different hardware, such as an Android phone, with only a touchscreen or a low-end netbook vs a high-end gaming rig.

Personally, I have (with some help from PyTom) Ren'Py running on a Raspberry Pi3B and, more recently, an Asus Tinker board.

In my experience with the two, the Raspberry Pi, despite being almost half as fast, having an inferior GPU and having half as much RAM and an inferior OS, still outperformed the Tinker board by a large margin.
This is attributed to the GPU. The Pi has Hardware OpenGL ES 2.0 support, the Tinker board has Hardware OpenGL ES 3.2 core support - supposedly. In reality, I have not yet found it.

Twitter

Karl_C
Veteran

#14 Post by Karl_C »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 pm On that note, I like being able to see all my files run by simply double clicking an icon. In Windows, you can create said icon through powershell (right click on the exe > send shortcut to desktop DONE) This other, somewhat annoying OS, forces me to write a bash script, create a .desktop file, place them in the correct folders and then create a clickable icon after which I must set permissions or it won't do anything.

2 seconds vs 2 minutes plus research.
I don't know about what "annoying OS" you're talking about? I don't even need a "powershell" (?) for that, I drag the icon from the launcher to the desktop and that's it. "Powershell", "right click", "sending shortcut to desktop" sounds far too complicated to me for such a simple task... ;)

Anyway, I said already two times that I don't need see any reason for anybody to switch to Linux for Ren'Py game development. If you like MS-Windows, fine. Why shall I care?

D.ray
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams/Painting Your Skin/Garden Of Machines
Projects: Love Therapy /Heart of Thorns/Resurface
Tumblr: drayreedofficial
Soundcloud: drayreed

#15 Post by D.ray »

it would probably help to know the specs of your current laptop rig to best know what you can do to get better use of it. If it's a gaming rig as you stated, you really might only need to update your ram. You would be surprised how much a difference that can make. It could also be your cpu processor, or your graphics card since software like photoshop and the like require a good GPU (graphic processor unit) to run. Another reason why knowing the specs of your CPU is important.

i would recommend building your own rig, rather than ordering a custom one or buying it off the shelf since you'll save a lot of money. It might take some research on your part, but it's worth it unless you have a whole lot of cash laying around.

If you do decide to bulid a rig, I would recommend it have the following; a multiprocessor core, which will be able to handle running multiple applications at once, a good graphics card, which will run photoshop and any similar software smoothly, and a decent amount of ram. You could also include a Solid State Drive (SSD) as it will make your boot times and software run even faster. No need to buy a terabyte of SSD or a large amount. Simply something large enough that can handle the storage of your OS, and the applications you'll be running such as photoshop. You can then use a normal hard drive as a storage drive where you can store any actual files, projects, etc. A rig like this will will handle whatever you throw at it. You'll still need the actual computer case for housing, the power supply unit (PSU), a motherboard (MOBO), and a heatsink and fans for cooling, unless you want to get fancy and go for liquid cooling instead. You have to make sure everything is compatible with each other and then you should be good to go.
Get your Voice Over for games to sound the best.