Seems like more VN devs aren't hiring editors/proofreaders nowadays

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mashiko

Re: Seems like more VN devs aren't hiring editors/proofreaders nowadays

#16 Post by mashiko »

mikolajspy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 am I think in most cases (that was with me) is
whiteserenity wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 pm lack of funds
And consider that today not every game sells well. For indie developer it's better to cut funds on proofreader and fail with low-budget game, than invest much money and still fail.
I can relate to this. I know proofreading and editing takes a lot of effort from proofreader and editor, and hard work should be paid. However, most indie devs don't have enough budget as it is. I do like crowdfunding like Kickstarter, but the success is not guaranteed, and again, that comes down to funding in the end. It seems that the easiest funding to cut is edit / proofread, since the story is already written and finished anyway. So maybe we can get away with a few errors here and there, and crosses fingers, hoping that players will not notice those errors?

I don't agree with not proofreading and editing VNs before they are published (because I also get annoyed reading VNs with grammatical errors), but from a developer's viewpoint, it is easier to not shell out more money on proofreading and editing. It also seems that people spend more on arts and music as opposed to perfecting grammar and such.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Re: Seems like more VN devs aren't hiring editors/proofreaders nowadays

#17 Post by Steamgirl »

Well if any Russian (or otherwise) companies want me to check if their proofreader/editor is worth their salt, I'm happy to help. :)