It is needed to read some VNs before creating your own one?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: It is needed to read some VNs before creating your own one?

#16 Post by trooper6 »

ScarletKnives wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm As for Otomes... I fear it will not be my cup of tea... since I'm a male XD
You don’t have to be a woman to read media with women as protagonists or media created by women. When trying to get a sense of what a medium is like, it is good to check out as wide a variety of examples of that medium as possible. But also, as a man who is planning to create a VN with a lot of female characters, it is good to read some media by women so you can gain emapthy for women and perhaps write them better.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: It is needed to read some VNs before creating your own one?

#17 Post by Katy133 »

It's not a requirement, but I'd say that you should at least try playing visual novels a little bit before you make your own. If the visual novels you play are made using the same engine you plan on using to make your VN (such as Ren'Py), you can make notes on what the engine is capable of and come up with ideas that you didn't think of before (for example, I didn't include persistent data in my VNs until I played a few VNs that also used it).

I'm very eclectic, so I'd also recommend studying different genres and even different mediums that aren't VNs. You never know where you'll find an interesting idea for a visual novel.

Be eclectic:

ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!