Teaching Renpy to my elementary school students

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Teaching Renpy to my elementary school students

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

So I am an elementary school teacher and I also teach an after school Computer Art Club (thus the name), the students learn software like Blender, Inkscape, and Krita. Some of the students are new, for most it is there second or third year. We have made simple games with Blender and Quest before and now I'd like to make a super simple game with Renpy. They are working on creating their characters in Inkscape at the moment.

I was thinking of doing most the ground work for them and then just letting them customize the game a bit. Basic idea of the game would be that you play as a computer art club student and you decide what to do and increase your stats accordingly.

What would you teach if you were in a similar position?

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Teaching Renpy to my elementary school students

#2 Post by Katy133 »

I think teaching the students how to make a small visual novel from beginning to end would be a good idea. Maybe (to teach them basic programming in Ren'Py), have the game they make include choices and multiple endings. That would require them to learn how to code choices, routes (labels), and a points or flag system to tell the game which ending the player gets from their choices.

Hope this helps!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!