NaNoRenO 2009

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: NaNoRenO 2009

#121 Post by Aleema »

DaFool wrote:What's the time stamp for Nano ending? When April 2 comes, the game doesn't count as Nano anymore? I mean, sure release the game, but since it's out of the window its preferrable to tweak it since its pointless to rush at this point. So as of this writing, Jake's game is the last game to release within the Nano window, unless something sneaks in from someplace between California and Hawaii in the next 4-7 hours.
Well, I see people releasing their NaNoRenO games well after the deadline, but they still call it their "NaNoRenO Game" ... you just don't technically "win" ...but it's still the child of the competition.

ficedula
Regular

#122 Post by ficedula »

Mmm. Myself and chunderbunny are still working on ours; we considered pushing out an incomplete version yesterday, but really, if we're going to be a bit late, we decided to wait until it was actually complete before releasing.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#123 Post by DaFool »

ficedula wrote:Mmm. Myself and chunderbunny are still working on ours; we considered pushing out an incomplete version yesterday, but really, if we're going to be a bit late, we decided to wait until it was actually complete before releasing.
That's what I hinted at. No more rush. Therefore take your time to put out a good product. (Off the top of my head, Starlit Sky started as some form of Nano entry but ended up 2 months late, and none the worse for it.)
NaNoRenO 2009 Release List

delta / pXt - Released (Nanoreno) - 3/6
sake-bento / text - A Summer Tale - Released (Intrenaimo) 3/12
ATP Projects / The Scaglietti - Released (Nanoreno) 3/20
Tall Tales Production / Daemonophilia - Released (Nanoreno) 3/27
Aashtarsrain / Truce for a Moment - Released (Nanoreno) 3/31
ATP Projects / Heiress II - Released (Nanoreno) 3/31
BCS / Shadows in Noise— Twilight Princess doujin game - Released (Nanoreno) 3/31
Kuroi Games / Catgirl Panic! - Released (Nanoreno) 3/31
Scout / Sketchbook - Released (Nanoreno) 4/1
Jake / Each Uisge - Released (Nanoreno) 4/1

Still waiting on:
Morning Star Zwei

Non-Nanoreno (released amidst the whole mess):
College Romance - Rise of the Younger Brother
Uh, someone else make that obligatory closing remarks/speech/whatever.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#124 Post by LVUER »

DaFool wrote:
ficedula wrote:Mmm. Myself and chunderbunny are still working on ours; we considered pushing out an incomplete version yesterday, but really, if we're going to be a bit late, we decided to wait until it was actually complete before releasing.
That's what I hinted at. No more rush. Therefore take your time to put out a good product. (Off the top of my head, Starlit Sky started as some form of Nano entry but ended up 2 months late, and none the worse for it.)
But after that late, could we still call it NaNoRenO?
But still finishing no matter what is very encouraged (like what currently I'm doing too)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#125 Post by DrakeNavarone »

LVUER wrote: But after that late, could we still call it NaNoRenO?
Not at all, but that wasn't much an issue. Nano was a good launch point for the idea, and a good reason to economize on the assets. So in Starlit Sky's case, it was a better starting point than finish line.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#126 Post by lordcloudx »

Yeah, I don't think it's right to be so stringent with the rules since nanoreno is all about motivating creators and the time limit functions in the same manner; as a motivator rather than a strict deadline of sorts.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#127 Post by mikey »

lordcloudx wrote:Yeah, I don't think it's right to be so stringent with the rules since nanoreno is all about motivating creators and the time limit functions in the same manner; as a motivator rather than a strict deadline of sorts.
Though there should be at least minimum consequence - if you really don't make it in time, you should be a gentleman and not call your game a nanoreno game.

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#128 Post by Scout »

If you say it's a NaNo game, I'll believe you.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#129 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:Uh, someone else make that obligatory closing remarks/speech/whatever.
Alright then, sometimes a man has to be a man and step up, so...

It's been the 5th NaNoRenO and it's a silent celebration, I guess. In a good way however, this is precisely what NaNoRenO is about. It is a community event, but its rules are so simple, that it is almost maintenance-free, and yet it is, I feel, by far the most important and useful initiative this community has. It's like the ravens in the London Tower - if they go, the kingdom will collapse, and I think that the year NaNoRenO would fail would mark the end of the community, or at the very least signal that there something terribly wrong with it.

Somehow, due to its simple rules and the fact that it just needs one thread to start (rather than a website, a coordinator and so on...), it produces amazing results - proving the point that if you have very little very clear rules, they can produce even the most complex things - whereas many complicated rules and requirements tend not to produce even the simplest thing. Maybe this is also a reason why the event is so consistent and seems to be immune to silly controversies. And somehow also the fondness for the whole event isn't hugely advertised (we love nanoreno!), yet I think everyone who participated with their heart will feel it - less in-your-face, but all the stronger.

Why is this - perhaps it's that it makes people take the first step, or make the step - period. Overcome their blocks and commit themselves. And it can be all the experiences in the world - you can work yourself, or you can even work with other people, you can challenge yourself... but you DO something, and often this is enough. There is something really wonderful about being able to complete something and say that this is your work - a sense of accomplishment and pride, no matter how much of a beginner you feel you are.

Another rewarding thing to do is work with other people, especially if you are all in some kind of a pressure situation that you have to finish (well, you don't HAVE to, but that's the psychology). It is my personal opinion, but I think that it almost doesn't matter how the resulting perceived quality of game is - what matters is that you made it together and put a bit of yourself into it. When years pass and you won't exactly remember what your story was about, looking at your game, you will still remember who you did it with and how the atmosphere was in your team.

There have been discussions about the nanoreno spirit and what it really is, and the simple answer is that you have the whole of march every year to create something - regardless of your motivation, of course. But still, the most fondly remembered games will be ones which got the most affection from their makers while being made. In a few months when people's opinions fresh from the glow of the event will fade, what will be left is that certain something a game had. It won't be about perceived quality anymore, it will be about memories - and long after I will have forgotten how many and which choices have which effect in my game, I will still remember how I first came to the IRC, how I got the first picture from Ren, how I sent a scanned drawing of the airship to lordcloudx, and how it all came together in the last two hours. And it never ceases to be a wonderful feeling when the work of others is given a meaning.

The simple nature of the event really means that for NaNoRenO your honest effort is the best you can do. I also like the idea of trying and then failing to meet the deadline. Because it's NaNoRenO, you are not labeled a loser and those who make it aren't winners. So even if you don't make it in time, nanoreno still fulfilled its purpose for you - perhaps that purpose was getting started, perhaps it was taking a break from your ongoing project, and perhaps it was just about calling some people you like and getting together to work on something as a team. As long as you enjoyed it and your emotions are honest, you didn't fail.

So for the next years, I wish that NaNoRenO will continue being what it is now, without any changes. It's been this great for five years, let's wish it well for another five.

ficedula
Regular

#130 Post by ficedula »

Just a note for those watching this topic, we finally released MorningStar Zwei, albeit a bit late. But with extra content to make up for the delay (we hope).