Could this game be made in Ren'py?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
dIgItayel
Regular

Could this game be made in Ren'py?

#1 Post by dIgItayel »

I've come up with a new game idea, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to create the interface I'm striving for in Ren'py.

My idea is basically an online dating simulator that is combined with a visual novel, kind of like Mystic Messenger. I want the player to be able to scroll through a small selection of profiles and be able to choose which person to talk to, whether it be through calls, texts, or a full-on date (visual novel style). Although the game isn't a Mystic Messenger fan-game, you could look at their interface to get a general idea of what I'm looking to do (it won't be exactly like that, but it'll be along those lines).

Could I do something like this is Ren'py? If so, can someone point me towards a few tutorials on how I could make that happen?
If not, what engine would you suggest using?

Thanks!

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

Re: Could this game be made in Ren'py?

#2 Post by mikolajspy »

I believe it's totally doable, you should take a look at few things I think:
Screen language - https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html
You might also want to check imagemaps (I think this could be what you might want) - viewtopic.php?t=22410
I think the problem won't be in interface but making it work.
I mean - jump to correct scenes, store variables where you went with who etc., so more on the logical side of things.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#3 Post by Godline »

Absolutely. I think that you start off with a call screen which has the profiles and then it jumps to labels after the screen.

At least that's how I'd do it. Somewhat like a gallery screen except no thumbnails.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

That's definitely possible in Ren'Py. Depending on what you want, you may also want to look at this Codex tutorial (it lets you create hyperlinks to different pages, and you can add different text and images to each page).
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!