New Year's resolutions and your VN development

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Karamelow
Veteran
Projects: Fujiwara BitterSweet
Organization: Magic Bench/Karamelow

Re: New Year's resolutions and your VN development

#16 Post by Karamelow »

Happy New Year everybody! For me, my resolutions would be :

-Releasing my first project
-Guetting better at drawing characters, backgrounds and GUI as well
-Guetting better at speaking/writing english so that I can lightening the proof reader's work (poor thing, I make lot of mistakes, I feel bad for them!) (TT___TT)
-STOP FIGTHING TO DEATH WITH MY CODE!

And that's all... yeah, it's few I know xD

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#17 Post by Imperf3kt »

Hmm, I have a short list of resolutions, but its quite often neglected and pushed to the next year.

To me, my most important resilution is to stop being such an asshole on the internet.
I can be rude, sarcastic, quick to draw (often inaccurate) conclusions and a generally all-round prickly personality.

I believe I've made some progress, but I know I have a long way to go.

My next resolution is to reacquire the motivation I require in order to actually finish any of my projects - both real life projects, and computer based projects.
I ordinarily blame my lack of time, which is mostly true, but its nothing more than a lie to myself. While it is true my time to work on hobbies is minimal, it is not true that it prevents me from working on projects. In reality, I just don't have the drive to continue because 60% of my life is work, 20% is sleep and the remaining 20% is balanced between keeping myself sane (entertained) and taking care of responsibilities.
I sacrifice a lot of sleep in exchange for some time to do stuff I enjoy.

My third resolution involves my Ren'Py projects and is directly tied to my second resolution.
I have about five projects I have put on hold for quite some time now. Mostly, I created them because I really do wish to complete them, but with each new project I start, I shortly thereafter abandon the last.

While I have every intention of returning to them at some point, I always lose motivation very quickly once I do which often spawns a "new, fun idea" that I immediately take up.

I need to work on controlling myself and keeping myself focused on one task at a time, or else I'm going to have a hundred 'awesome ideas' that culminate into nothing.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

#18 Post by arty »

I want to finish something ...
I've been uselessly messing around with ambitious plans but I don't have the patience and endurance. I think I'm gonna try to develop something simple and short and then see what happens.

Also, I want to draw more. I've been neglecting my art this year and didn't draw nearly as much as I wanted to. I hope VN development will help me fix this. It requires a bunch of art, after all, and that's a good motivation/inspiration to draw.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#19 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:41 pm My third resolution involves my Ren'Py projects and is directly tied to my second resolution.
I have about five projects I have put on hold for quite some time now. Mostly, I created them because I really do wish to complete them, but with each new project I start, I shortly thereafter abandon the last.

While I have every intention of returning to them at some point, I always lose motivation very quickly once I do which often spawns a "new, fun idea" that I immediately take up.

I need to work on controlling myself and keeping myself focused on one task at a time, or else I'm going to have a hundred 'awesome ideas' that culminate into nothing.
Oh, how I can commiserate with you Imperf3kt. I have projects with HUNDREDS of pages of notes and writing, sketches, etc. that I have not finished and that got put on the backburner for a 'new shiny idea'.

I think working alone is a negative factor in this regard. I always finished my group projects, because I couldn't just jump to a new idea when it was a team effort. Still, I'm not particularly a big fan of working in a group, and don't NEED to, since I can do all my own art, writing, and programming. Which, let's be honest, is probably part of the problem too. It's easy to get burned out on a project when you are filling every position.

Any way - stay away from me Idea Fairy!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Imperf3kt »

New resolution: buy an air conditioner.

I don't think I can survive a third day of 47℃

Twitter

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#21 Post by illuminate001 »

Hmmm, I think for me my "resolution" VN wise is...to not be tempted by the appeal of writing something purely for sales and instead continue to develop stories/worlds that come from my heart and have something to say.

I want to release at least 1 VN this year of my own accord, and 1 that I've worked on with a team (but that, of course, depends if anyone will have me lol).

I'd like to illustrate fanart of 1 fav character from each VN I've ever finished, and post those somewhere as a collection.

I guess that's it? For now, I'll update this if I think of anything else.
ImageImage
ImageImage

FairyKing
Deviantart: gusindor

#22 Post by FairyKing »

Hmm, I just started working with Ren'Py so I'm not sure what a reasonable resolution is... I guess I'll start by resolving to just get the hang of all the basics. Text, characters, choices, branching stories, keeping track of variables, that sort of thing. And to not give up on this until I've at least gotten that far.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#23 Post by Godline »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:51 pm New resolution: buy an air conditioner.

I don't think I can survive a third day of 47℃
Hello fellow friend in the Southern hemisphere!

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#24 Post by Fuseblower »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 am Any way - stay away from me Idea Fairy!
I try to but I can't run from it. I feel.... I think... the idea fairy... is.... INSIDE OF MY BODY!!!1!!! *Psycho stabs sound effect* :shock:

Gaudeamus
Regular
Deviantart: Gaudeamusmx

#25 Post by Gaudeamus »

Well first of all be a little more irresponsible with my obligations as an adult stop losing the little free time I have playing online games :P

Second .- finally give me time to finish the sprites of a demo that I have trying to do since November 2016.

Third.- try to become active in my social networks to give diffusion to that VN that I have abandoned for 1 year or more.

Fourth.- stop being so demanding to publish my drawings, writings or the VN that that is the main reason why I do not advance with anything I do.

Fifth.- Do at least one of the previous ones, really i don´t know what the time is going so fast in other things :lol:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#26 Post by Zelan »

-Ride it out till graduation
-Finish my dumb meme game I guess
Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:41 pmTo me, my most important resilution is to stop being such an asshole on the internet.
I can be rude, sarcastic, quick to draw (often inaccurate) conclusions and a generally all-round prickly personality.

I believe I've made some progress, but I know I have a long way to go.
For what it's worth, Imperf3kt, I look forward to seeing your posts on here. c: When I see your avatar, I'm usually expecting a blunt but insightful comment; yes, I did say 'blunt' but that's not always a bad thing, and I can't think of an occasion where I can recall you being outright rude.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Imperf3kt »

Aww thanks. Its nice to hear that I'm not annoying to everybody :P

I believe I'm making some progress in regards to my second resolution; I've made some good progress with the project linked my my signature.
Now if only I can get it to stop burning me...

Twitter