Second person point of view.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DeagleZ

Second person point of view.

#1 Post by DeagleZ »

English is not my native language, so i have a question.When narrator speaks, which option is better for second person point of view in the visual novels, past tense or present? I saw both of them and now I can't decide.
For example (just random image):
You opened that chest (He opened that chest) or You open that chest (He opens that chest).

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

Re: Second person point of view.

#2 Post by Empish »

It's more a question of what style do you like better rather than which is objectively better. Either can work well.

Rastagong
Regular
Completed: Sylvan Disappearance, Upon a Darkening Flood
Tumblr: rastagong-tearoom
itch: rastagong

#3 Post by Rastagong »

I would say that usually, 2nd-person writing is in the present tense, since the whole point is to involve the reader as much as possible, making you the protagonist, right now. 2nd-person writing is less common in visual novels than in (choice-based) interactive fiction though.

That said, there are definitely certain works in the 2nd person which play with the past tense for a certain purpose. I don't have anything specific in mind, but I'm 100% sure there are pieces of interactive fiction which play the protagonist remembering past events, or maybe inventing them.

But as I see it, the present tense is more common in almost all cases!
Read Sylvan Disappearance, a folk horror epistolary mystery visual novel!

DeagleZ

#4 Post by DeagleZ »

Rastagong wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 am I would say that usually, 2nd-person writing is in the present tense, since the whole point is to involve the reader as much as possible, making you the protagonist, right now. 2nd-person writing is less common in visual novels than in (choice-based) interactive fiction though.

That said, there are definitely certain works in the 2nd person which play with the past tense for a certain purpose. I don't have anything specific in mind, but I'm 100% sure there are pieces of interactive fiction which play the protagonist remembering past events, or maybe inventing them.

But as I see it, the present tense is more common in almost all cases!
Thank you for your detailed reply!