A Kinetic VN

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Archie

A Kinetic VN

#1 Post by Archie »

Hello everyone. If you're free and willing I'd like some advice on something.

So I've considered the possibility of turning a short story I've made in the past into a kinetic visual novel. Unfortunately...the only thing I know how to do is write. Long story short I considered the possibility of doing it all myself but if I can manage to raise enough money to get original (and quality considering again that all I'm good at is writing) content I'd prefer that. Before I try saving up money to hire people I want to get a feel of how much is a safe amount of money to have in the bank for the specific project.

List of things I think I'd need (No idea what I'm doing to be frank):
-One character (with multiple expressions)
-6 backgrounds
-Music (no idea on specifics)
-Someone to build the VN (and possibly a original VN builder if that makes any difference)
-Maybe one voice actor, I can think of a reason I could go without one

Also if anyone has advice on things to consider trying to start up a project like this I'd appreciate it.

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

Re: A Kinetic VN

#2 Post by mikolajspy »

If we take a look at Recruitment & Services subforum here + what I already know from experience, I think it might look like this:

- 1 Character (there are various prices depending on size, complex design, quality etc. I also assume you'd like more than one pose, let's say 4 and price is $60 per pose + $5 for expressions and you'll have at least 5 per pose (if head turns in pose etc.)) 4x$60 +4x5x$5 = $340
- 6 backgrounds (again, price varies, but for some better quality let's count $60) 6x$60 = $360
- Music (Royalty free or composer, let's assume that the price is $30 per track, and you'll have at least 10 of them for variety) 10x$30 = $300
- Developer... That's hard to say, but I'd think at least $1000 if he's going to be paid just once (no profit share), and it depends on complexity and length of story.
At least that's what I think I would take for shorter story :P
- VA are mostly dependend on number of lines/words and the more experienced the more he/she wants, but let's say somewhere in $500-$1000.

So to sum up, you'd need to be prepared for around $3000 more or less.
That is, if you're going to pay everyone the average market prices. But as I mentioned, it all depends on length of story mostly.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

I'd say it's far less than $3000, at least if you learn how to program in Ren'py, which is quite easy if you dont' get into the detailed stuff like making a custom user interface. If you're a writer you should be able to use Ren'py without someone programming it for you.

Archie

#4 Post by Archie »

@miko: Awesome. Thanks for the detailed costs. It'll help going along.

@Sundown: I heard the Ren'py was supposed to be a bit difficult for first timers. I got the Tyrano Builder cause they said it was good for first timers when I initially wanted to try and do it on my own.

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#5 Post by TheJerminator15 »

I'll add onto this by saying that as someone who had no coding experience before Ren'Py it is quite easy to get into and learn.

Alternatively though, you could download the Fungus plugin for the Unity engine if you absolutely want to avoid coding. It's a drag and drop interface added onto the Unity UI so all you really have to do is get used to the basics of navigating Unity before makign VNs or KNs in it.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#6 Post by Caveat Lector »

As someone who has released a KN (and is still working on others), I think planning ahead of time to decide what you want is a smart approach. But even then, not everything you have in mind is going to be financially feasible (save, perhaps, a Kickstarter miracle, but this is assuming you don't have the time/means/assets for a Kickstarter).

With CG's, for example, I find it's best to go through the story first by yourself, then with a trusty beta-reader, and mark off which scenes you really, really want to see represented in a CG, and which ones are better off taking "shortcuts" (ie, fade to black; make the sprites jump a little during emotionally-charged moments, etc). It's possible you might have to compromise what would otherwise be lovely CG's in favour of what's pragmatic. It all depends on the individual artist's prices, but assume it'll come out to a LOT, and start saving up for your budget.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Archie

#7 Post by Archie »

@Jerminator: I'll check it out then and see what I can do with it. Thanks.

@Caveat: I'm thinking that I'll do an estimated amount then add one or two thousand to that as a precaution. Three if I'm really wanting to be cautious. Hopefully that should make up for unpredictable expenses I might have to add.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#8 Post by morinoir »

Just want to add that you forgot about gui design in your list of expenses =) If you're willing to share some detail of your project, I think people will come up with better suggestion.

erickcire95
Regular

#9 Post by erickcire95 »

Maybe you could consider some translators? if you want the VN to be released not just in english

Archie

#10 Post by Archie »

@Morinoir: As in a suggestion for people who could do it or types of GUI i could do myself? I'm not too familiar with making VNs so I honestly thought the GUI was part of the VN builder. Anyways, it's a story that's purely narrated by stream of thought following a protagonist who is depressed and considering suicide. It does this partly through personification of both his state of mind and death itself.

@erickcire: That'd be cool too. But as with the GUI I wouldn't know how to go about doing that either. Are there some already made that you program into it or would have to make it yourself? I'm guessing if you have to make it yourself you'd need to have a good understanding of languages right?

morinoir
Regular

#11 Post by morinoir »

I mean suggestion about pricing and things that you will need to build your vn ^^
Since you mentioned that you're not familiar with making vn, I wonder if you're familiar with reading/playing vn itself? If not, I suggest you start doing it so you'll know how the story telling in visual novel works. It's true that gui was part of the vn builder and if you're just testing the water on vn production, the default gui will be enough. So if that's what you're aiming for, you don't have to worry about gui. However you might want to consider hiring someone to make game logo/title to be put on title screen.

Archie

#12 Post by Archie »

Ah. I see. I also figured the GUI production worked along with building the visual novel but if it's a separate price than estimated price would be appreciated as well.

I have played a few visual novels like Record of Agarest War, and some free to play ones on the internet and available on the app store. I'm pretty sure I've played quite a few though specific names aren't coming to mind. I have to do some editing on the short story and have some experience with scripting for plays so I'll probably use my experiences with what VNs I've seen to make an easy to transfer script.

For hiring for the game title/logo would I just add that to list of things for the artist?

morinoir
Regular

#13 Post by morinoir »

That's great to hear! Those vns you have played will be a valuable reference for you. If you're willing to invest on gui design, this one made by moon tea creative is a great-high quality option I could find on lemmasoft. The price is $15 for non-commercial project. I don't have any affiliation with the artist btw, I just thought it was one of the best I could find out there because I thought the other free-to-use ui set that were posted in lemmasoft are too fancy for a psychological story like yours.

Also, game logo usually made by gui artist, at least here on Lemmasoft. Some artist that focus on character design and making character sprite maybe able to make a game logo for you if they have design background or have good sense of design.

Archie

#14 Post by Archie »

Awesome. Thank you a lot for the direct link. I'm still not sure if I'm going to design the virtual novel myself but if I hire someone else and they don't have a preferred GUI already maybe I'll pay them extra to use that GUI, or buy it myself if it's possible to let them use it that way.

Maybe I'll also ask them for the title/logo. I'm guessing I'd want to save that for further down when more is made though so that the title/logo can match the style of the artist who creates the backgrounds and characters, or vice versa. Are titles and logos around the same cost?

morinoir
Regular

#15 Post by morinoir »

You're welcome~ As for the price, it's better for you look around on this thread because the price varies, but I think most are under $50.