Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
So I've considered the possibility of turning a short story I've made in the past into a kinetic visual novel. Unfortunately...the only thing I know how to do is write. Long story short I considered the possibility of doing it all myself but if I can manage to raise enough money to get original (and quality considering again that all I'm good at is writing) content I'd prefer that. Before I try saving up money to hire people I want to get a feel of how much is a safe amount of money to have in the bank for the specific project.
List of things I think I'd need (No idea what I'm doing to be frank):
-One character (with multiple expressions)
-Music (no idea on specifics)
-Someone to build the VN (and possibly a original VN builder if that makes any difference)
-Maybe one voice actor, I can think of a reason I could go without one
Also if anyone has advice on things to consider trying to start up a project like this I'd appreciate it.
- Posts: 160
- Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 pm
- Completed: Jake's Love Story
- Projects: NEKOKORO
- Deviantart: mikolajspy
- Location: Wrocław, Poland
- 1 Character (there are various prices depending on size, complex design, quality etc. I also assume you'd like more than one pose, let's say 4 and price is $60 per pose + $5 for expressions and you'll have at least 5 per pose (if head turns in pose etc.)) 4x$60 +4x5x$5 = $340
- 6 backgrounds (again, price varies, but for some better quality let's count $60) 6x$60 = $360
- Music (Royalty free or composer, let's assume that the price is $30 per track, and you'll have at least 10 of them for variety) 10x$30 = $300
- Developer... That's hard to say, but I'd think at least $1000 if he's going to be paid just once (no profit share), and it depends on complexity and length of story.
At least that's what I think I would take for shorter story
- VA are mostly dependend on number of lines/words and the more experienced the more he/she wants, but let's say somewhere in $500-$1000.
So to sum up, you'd need to be prepared for around $3000 more or less.
That is, if you're going to pay everyone the average market prices. But as I mentioned, it all depends on length of story mostly.
- Lemma-Class Veteran
- Posts: 2294
- Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm
- Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
- Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
- Organization: Fastermind Games
- Deviantart: sundownkid
- Location: NYC
@Sundown: I heard the Ren'py was supposed to be a bit difficult for first timers. I got the Tyrano Builder cause they said it was good for first timers when I initially wanted to try and do it on my own.
- Posts: 158
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:37 pm
- Projects: Manipulation, Unnamed Project
- Skype: Jimbob
- Location: England
Alternatively though, you could download the Fungus plugin for the Unity engine if you absolutely want to avoid coding. It's a drag and drop interface added onto the Unity UI so all you really have to do is get used to the basics of navigating Unity before makign VNs or KNs in it.
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 680
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am
- Completed: Colette and Becca
- Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
- Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
- Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
- itch: caveat_lector
- Location: My chair
With CG's, for example, I find it's best to go through the story first by yourself, then with a trusty beta-reader, and mark off which scenes you really, really want to see represented in a CG, and which ones are better off taking "shortcuts" (ie, fade to black; make the sprites jump a little during emotionally-charged moments, etc). It's possible you might have to compromise what would otherwise be lovely CG's in favour of what's pragmatic. It all depends on the individual artist's prices, but assume it'll come out to a LOT, and start saving up for your budget.
@Caveat: I'm thinking that I'll do an estimated amount then add one or two thousand to that as a precaution. Three if I'm really wanting to be cautious. Hopefully that should make up for unpredictable expenses I might have to add.
@erickcire: That'd be cool too. But as with the GUI I wouldn't know how to go about doing that either. Are there some already made that you program into it or would have to make it yourself? I'm guessing if you have to make it yourself you'd need to have a good understanding of languages right?
Since you mentioned that you're not familiar with making vn, I wonder if you're familiar with reading/playing vn itself? If not, I suggest you start doing it so you'll know how the story telling in visual novel works. It's true that gui was part of the vn builder and if you're just testing the water on vn production, the default gui will be enough. So if that's what you're aiming for, you don't have to worry about gui. However you might want to consider hiring someone to make game logo/title to be put on title screen.
I have played a few visual novels like Record of Agarest War, and some free to play ones on the internet and available on the app store. I'm pretty sure I've played quite a few though specific names aren't coming to mind. I have to do some editing on the short story and have some experience with scripting for plays so I'll probably use my experiences with what VNs I've seen to make an easy to transfer script.
For hiring for the game title/logo would I just add that to list of things for the artist?
Also, game logo usually made by gui artist, at least here on Lemmasoft. Some artist that focus on character design and making character sprite maybe able to make a game logo for you if they have design background or have good sense of design.
Maybe I'll also ask them for the title/logo. I'm guessing I'd want to save that for further down when more is made though so that the title/logo can match the style of the artist who creates the backgrounds and characters, or vice versa. Are titles and logos around the same cost?