Games you learned to code from or would recommend learning from

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ComputerArt.Club
Regular
Completed: Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Games you learned to code from or would recommend learning from

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 am

When someone starts learning to make a game with Renpy they probably start by looking at the documentation, the bundled game and the cookbook. While a lot can be learned from The Question, inevitably no one game is going to teach you everything you need to know.

What are some other games that you learned to code from?

Are there ethical issues related to viewing a game's code or is it accepted practice? If there are ethical issues, are there some developers that are more open to the idea of letting others learn from their code?

What games would you recommend learning from and why?

Personally, this was an issue that I had when I started and I've seen other newbies with similar issues.

Empish
Regular
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

Re: Games you learned to code from or would recommend learning from

#2 Post by Empish » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:47 am

All the games I've learned from are my own and still unreleased, ie Cassandra Acts, True Selves, Bog (not mine but I learned how to make minigames for it), It Ends With Graduation. Obviously the code for these is not available publicly for any of them.

But the general concept is that people learn best by doing. When you have an idea for something that could be achieved, the best thing to do is to sit down and take it apart, piece by piece. You want to make a gallery, for example? Great! Do you want one page, or multiple pages you can click through? How many images do you want per page? Do you want a basic grid or a more complicated system? Do you want the gallery to be static or to change based on gameplay? Asking these questions can help pinpoint the functionality you want, and only then should you go looking for examples of how someone else has done it.

Now, full disclaimer, I'm a coder by trade, so I already was familiar with computer science concepts when I started learning Ren'py. But I've seen people spend too much time trying to adapt someone else's code to their own purposes when it would have been faster just to do it from scratch. If you don't understand what's going on, taking a piece of big, complicated code is only going to muddy the waters. It's better to do small experiments and get a feel for what behavior you'll have in what circumstances, and THEN you can add it to other code of yours to make something more complicated.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:28 pm

ComputerArt.Club wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 am
Are there ethical issues related to viewing a game's code or is it accepted practice?
You will find many Ren'Py games that are open source. The author doesn't mind or explicitly encourages you to study the game scripts. See the open source section here: viewtopic.php?p=386691#p386691
Doing some search you will find more examples. Cyanide Tea released the scripts from Ristorante Amore for downloading: http://risamo.cyanide-tea.net/rpy/
Another free game with open source is Time Labyrinth: https://games.renpy.org/game/time-labyrinth
Yes, studying other people's scripts and trying to understand how things work is a really good way of learning.
Personally, I only keep my own game files archived because I don't think I'm a good example to others. :oops:
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Ezmar
Projects: Eleventh Hour [Working Title]
Soundcloud: Ezmar

#4 Post by Ezmar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine that many people who code VNs in something like Ren'Py guard their code super carefully. The code isn't really the part that makes the work special, after all. And with a free to use engine... there's no real reason to keep code a secret.