Kinetic Novels - Long, or Short?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ButterflyLatte
Regular
Completed: warm, Wendy, Oceanic Hearts
Projects: Red Lilies
Organization: Krispy Cat
Tumblr: butterfly-latte
Deviantart: ButterflyLatte
itch: krispycat

Kinetic Novels - Long, or Short?

#1 Post by ButterflyLatte »

So I have already begun the conceptual phase for another project, warm. At this point I'm heavily considering making it a kinetic novel, but I don't know if it would be okay to make it a lengthy one. I don't have a word-count yet, but I did read that a lot of kinetic novels are a little on the shorter side.

What are your thoughts, as an audience/consumer? Is a longer kinetic novel okay, or after a certain length do you prefer there be branching paths? And what is an acceptable/average word-count for kinetic novels anyway?
Current Project:

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

Re: Kinetic Novels - Long, or Short?

#2 Post by Fuseblower »

I'm perfectly fine with long kinetic visual novels. Higurashi was quite long (especially the first installment) and I found it to be quite gripping. I didn't miss the branching at all. I even feel that choices might break the immersion in thriller/horror stories like Higurashi.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

To be perfectly honest, I don't care if a story is kinetic or not nor how long it is, only that it is interesting and not repetetive or dragging along at a snails pace.
You could have a 20 hour masterpiece, but the first 3 hours drag along. I'm probably gonna drop it just as it starts to get good because I've already had enough (like I did to DDLC)
It gets annoying when a plot is stagnant.
On the other hand, you could have a short and sweet novel, but it feels so rushed that I barely got to know the main character and it ended, leaving me feeling a little ripped off.

In short: the length of your novel is irrelevant, what matters is the content.

P.S.
I generally prefer novels that take ~30 or more hours to read.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

An answer you'll get a lot around here is that it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it well. What's important is that you feel like it's the better choice and the better story that you find more enjoyable to write. Don't adapt to what you assume the reader might want to see, for it will harm your product.

For long kinetic visual novels, I remember playing 1000 lies. No choices, at least no relevant ones resulting in branching, but still an enjoying story. It was such because it was well-written, not because of a difference between KN and VN. Same for the length, some may have a preference but generally I'd say it's more important that the story is as long as it needs to be. Don't drag it on for length or pacen it too quick to work.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?