Testing for your commercial game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Rinmaru
Regular
Completed: Cardinal Cross
Projects: Cardinal Cross
Tumblr: impqueengames
Deviantart: rinmaru

Testing for your commercial game

#1 Post by Rinmaru »

Hi everyone,
I'm just wondering do you hire testers for a commercial game? Or do you rather make your family/friends play it for you?
I keep replaying my game over and over again, but I do miss bugs and spelling errors from time to time.
Not to mention second opinions about the plot. Finding possible plot holes etc. I feel like I'm driving blinded with no one else to turn to.
I've only ever done free games so far, so I always did open testing but I don't think I can risk it with a commercial game. :?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Testing for your commercial game

#2 Post by Mammon »

You can do open testing with a demo, plenty of commercial games have a free one of those to give a taste. For the full version I don't think many people would really spread it around or anything. It will be an incomplete work, right? But I know it's our developer's paranoia rather than the reader's ill will being the problem here. If you know a few people you trust like family or friends, that would be the best. But if not, someone who you've seen around or known long enough to know that they're not some alt account that can be dropped at a moment's notice should suffice. Maybe you know some people like that from your original Ascension trilogy (Maybe give it to that manga adapter as a little bonus sneak-peak, if he'd like that.), or you know some people around here or other forums that seem trustworthy enough to you. Or make a thread here for proofreading, and you can check whether the applicants already proofread other stories too.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Helyees
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts

Re: Testing for your commercial game

#3 Post by Helyees »

Send you an email! :)