Dialogue in Celeste

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Dialogue in Celeste

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

I don't know who else is playing Celeste but, I must say, the dialogue is probably the best I've ever seen displayed in a text box. I think the voice effects certainly help!

https://youtu.be/_bM0uEAis14?t=4m1s

It's funny, because when I first heard the voices, I disliked them, but they IMMEDIATELY grew on me, I guess because they remind me of Towerfall :D

Anyway, what I really like, besides the voices and obviously delightful character animations, is the text jiggles/ waves, which change drastically later on to express a whole range of emotions, like fear and excitement. Also, minor spoilers,
when the character profiles jump out of the frame, even the UI box, I was amazed! They looked so cool and really opened my eyes to what narrative boxes can be capable of.
And it got me wondering... Can this be done in Ren'Py? I imagine the stuff mentioned in spoiler can be done with the correct animation sprites, but the jiggly/ wavy text seems like it would be a challenge :? I'd love to do it, because it's such an effective way to highlight text, instead of just using bold or italics.

VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

Re: Dialogue in Celeste

#2 Post by VimislikArt »

For the text, your best bet is probably to construct and animate them using an external program, save each animated word as an animated png, and insert them into the text using the tag {image=SAMPLE.apng} directly in your text box.

I'm using this method for a bunch of custom animated emoticons :)
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Re: Dialogue in Celeste

#3 Post by Kinmoku »

VimislikArt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 pm For the text, your best bet is probably to construct and animate them using an external program, save each animated word as an animated png, and insert them into the text using the tag {image=SAMPLE.apng} directly in your text box.
Ah, yes, that'd work! :) I may give it a go.
I'm using this method for a bunch of custom animated emoticons :)
This sounds cool! :D