What are the most minute details of a Visual novel you can think of?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Pockets
Deviantart: tsunayoshi86

What are the most minute details of a Visual novel you can think of?

#1 Post by Pockets »

So I've been thinking about the polish aspect when putting together a visual novel. Like small minor details that you would appreciate, but wouldn't exactly miss. So for an example, blinking eyes, animated mouths, minor animations to show characters changing poses as opposed to them suddenly snapping to a new pose. What are some things that you can think of?

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

Re: What are the most minute details of a Visual novel you can think of?

#2 Post by Fuseblower »

I would definitely like seeing a couple of frames of animation to go from pose to pose. It's something that sets a visual novel apart from the bulk when done right.

Actually, at the very least there should be different poses for different expressions. Too often only the face changes while the body stays exactly the same. Of course, this is done for reasons of economy but I'd rather see simpler sprites with expressive poses than a single carefully shaded sprite that only changes the facial expression.

But animation needs to be done right. Bad animation is worse than no animation, in my opinion. It's very easy to make stiff animation with programs like Live2D and Anime Studio. Such programs severely limit the kind of animation you can do and making something work well within those limitations takes skill. It takes a different mindset than that of classical animation. I have Anime Studio but I can't work with it because of those limitations. Just working with pencil and paper gives me complete freedom. Of course, after scanning my frames, I use Manga Studio Pro to do the "digital ink and paint" and that product is from the same makers as Anime Studio :lol:

As for other "polishing things" : foley. I'd like to hear good sound effects. Stuff like creaking doors, foot steps, etc. but also the all-important atmospheric sounds that put the story in a real place.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#3 Post by morinoir »

As for other "polishing things" : foley. I'd like to hear good sound effects. Stuff like creaking doors, foot steps, etc. but also the all-important atmospheric sounds that put the story in a real place.
THIS. People often neglect sound effect but perfectly timed and good quality sound effect can really boost the feel of the scene.

Subtle animation on the background can also pretty up your vn. I was amazed when I played Cinders because not only the background was beautiful, bu it also has this subtle glow effect on some part of the background like lantern or fireplace, or fireflies effect when we're in the forest. I also think it'll be great if text can be animated too, like when the character scream, the text will shake for example.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

I've read quite a few visual novels which have featured things such as 1) character sprites combined with backgrounds, 2) drawn 2D art in color that isn't especially realistic or abstract, 3) either a separate textbox or text on top of still images, 4) a focus on characters' relationships, and 5) not much external conflict. Yes, I know that there are hundreds of exceptions. That said, if your VN changes at least one of these elements, then it will stand out.

If you choose to use drawn characters and backgrounds, then think about how many characters you can fit on the screen, and how they'll be positioned. Back when I was first discovering translated VNs in the early 2000s, I got used to seeing only 1-3 characters on screen at the same time, and they would always stand side by side. A few years later, it was a surprise to see VNs where the characters could be closer or further from the camera. I've also been surprised to see relatively recent visual novels which fit four or more characters on-screen.

In terms of visuals, ask "whose point of view is this?" I usually assume that the protagonist is looking at other characters.

I sometimes appreciate it when a visual novel shows which choices the reader has already made. For instance, this was a feature in Code Realize.

"Fast-forward the text I've already read" is also a plus. Especially if the reader can alter the speed. Sometimes I want to skip right to the next choice. Sometimes I just want to go through the dialogue quickly.

A glossary can be a small plus if your story has an extensive fictional world, or if it makes obscure references. I believe this was a feature in Steins;Gate.

Lynn Dentell
Deviantart: LynnChoco

#5 Post by Lynn Dentell »

Hi,

I would think that :
- design of characters and backgrounds (in Rejet games it was awesome...)
- Emotions put into the voice (in very emotional moments, you must be moved too by the voice actor)
- blinking eyes and moving voice was a new and great experience when I discovered Amnesia games.
- adding some interesting bonuses when finishing the game (such as voice actor's interview-in Dandelion for exemple-, or artbook of the characters).
-Stunning music