Would roleplaying a script work? (Question for an experimental project)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Banya
Regular
Completed: Deep Inside, KOI, ROAR, Dreamquartz, YOLO
Projects: Emerald Wasp
Deviantart: Banya-Laplace-Studio
itch: banya

Would roleplaying a script work? (Question for an experimental project)

#1 Post by Banya »

Hello there! It's Banya again!
I came here to prompt a question, because I was going to do it in the recruitment thread but I felt ashamed when I realised I don't have much to show as a fleshed out project. Only the idea and the organization unfortunately...

The point is I learned making VNs by adapting old roleplay scripts as VNs. I had lots of fun roleplaying and I think it has two advantages:
1. all the characters feel different. Because another person 'moves' them. The talk, move and think different.
2. you're a lot faster when writing
And, with Nanoreno approaching, I had an idea for a al-least-ok-project... and I wanted to recruit writers, one for each character, first for fun and then because I think it would be awesome for a Nanoreno - the writing would be faster and easier for everyone, we might see a project finished!
Of course I'd code alone the novel and look for CC material because I would never recruit artists before showing a 100% complete script. I don't want to waste anyone's time. I also thought where to write the dialogues, how to organise the work, the setting, an outline for the story, a reason for different styles of writing, etc, but writing with different people would change different things. I also thought of what do to with the abandoned characters if somebody leaves the project without telling me - as I had lots of bad experiences in groups for VN, sigh.
Given that the project would be SMALL (or otherwise it wouldn't be realistic)

1. do you think it would work?
2. do you think I could ask for a free team in the recruitment section?
3. do you think it would work better as a GxB harem VN or as a BxB VN?
4. do you think it would be worth trying?
5. ...at least, we could have nice roleplays, lol!

Thank you for reading!
I'd really like to have a word of advice >\\\<

PS: I didn't forget the other project about reviewing visual novels, of course, and I have all ready. It's just that, before starting, I'm trying to finish at least my VN. I thought it wouldn't be fair to review the others' VNs before showing what I can do.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: Would roleplaying a script work? (Question for an experimental project)

#2 Post by Morhighan »

When I RP'd frequently I always wanted to take the stories and covert them into a game with Ren'Py. I think it's a fun idea, and would love to see someone accomplish it. My only thought is to make sure that edits help the script be cohesive by making the tone match.

Preseva
Regular
Projects: The Miller's Daughter

#3 Post by Preseva »

I think this could be be a great idea to generate ideas and raw material, as long as you don't do a word-for-word transcription of the session. Roleplay, like all conversations, usually ends up sounding awkward and (ironically) unnatural when it's written down. I'd suggest heavily editing what you come up with so that it contains the necessary qualities of a good script, including staying on topic, keeping action or plot moving, strong dialogue, logical progression of events, etc.

If you're approaching it as a narrative tool to see how the characters' relationship develops, how they respond to certain situations and events, and where their personalities lead the story... I think that could be an efficient and creative way of getting your plot outlined, and I'm sure you'll get some great one-liners and turns of phrase along the way. The Dragonlance novels, which were quite popular in their day and spawned hundreds of other books set in the same world, were based on one group's campaign. I don't see why it couldn't work for a VN!

I don't think it'd have any genre restrictions, since characters are characters, and characters are always what drive a good story. I'd go with whatever you are most comfortable RPing. One of the neat things about creating a VN story this way is that you wouldn't necessarily need to recruit visual novel fans; you could find anyone that likes roleplay and writing.

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

#4 Post by Empish »

I think this is actually a great idea (provided that the roleplays get a polishing pass before becoming script), and if I weren't so busy I'd probably want to jump into it headfirst.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#5 Post by verysunshine »

Sure, that sounds like it would be really fun!

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

Banya
Regular
Completed: Deep Inside, KOI, ROAR, Dreamquartz, YOLO
Projects: Emerald Wasp
Deviantart: Banya-Laplace-Studio
itch: banya

#6 Post by Banya »

Thank you for the replies!
I didn't know about the dragonlance novels, but it sound awesome :)
Of corse I thought a way to make the script coherent, I'd like to try. Now I feel encouraged to try in the recruitment forum, thank you!

@Empish: awww thank you!