Nonfictional VNs

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Horma
Regular

Nonfictional VNs

#1 Post by Horma »

Are there any nonfictional works made with Ren'Py? It could be an autobiography, a DIY guide or even an introduction to mathematics for kids. Yes, I know there's better ways to do all three, but it could be a fun way to practice programming and bring out your first finalized product when the script for your fictional masterpiece ( :wink: ) isn't ready yet. I somehow remember a visual novel about anglerfish mating, but that wasn't strictly nonfictional. Wasn't it a Ren'Py game?

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Re: Nonfictional VNs

#2 Post by wyverngem »

There was once used by a teacher to help her English language learners in Japan, but that was a fictional story. I’ve used it to study and make test for my Art History class since you can use the menu and display images, I even tallied my points and scored myself until I got 100s.

As for autobiographies. No, I don’t think that’s been done. There have been stories based on history, but I haven’t seen math games or what not. Pytom just recently posted that this forum was to focus on stories and not like math games.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

Through the Screen was released just this month and is an autobiographical story.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#4 Post by verysunshine »

Loving Life is a non-fictional VN about recovering from an illness. It was written by Zhenghua Yang, the man it happened to.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!