Who's interested in an RPG/Renai game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Post Reply

ARE YOU INTERESTED?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:29 pm

Yeah. go do it!
15
88%
eh... I'll check it out...
2
12%
nope.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 17

Message
Author
User avatar
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 pm
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series
Location: USA
Contact:

Who's interested in an RPG/Renai game?

#1 Post by Megaman Z » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:29 pm

(poll's over, guys. results above.)

If enough people are interested (and I can get some help with the plot and artwork), I'll start work on it.

here are the positions needed, BTW:

1 scriptwriter (I'm not coming up with all of this, okay?),

at least 1 artist (prefer two, one for CG's and one for spritework),

and somebody who can do better music than me. (my music sucks... :( ).

positions that would help:

a SECOND RPG expert (Shadosa is going to help me with this if we do it.)

and anything else I may have missed...


I'll put all the pieces together for you. (I'll be using RPG Tsukuru XP, if you're interested on what the engine is.)
Last edited by Megaman Z on Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kitsune Zeta

User avatar
shadosa
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:14 pm
Location: The shadows of your room
Contact:

game making

#2 Post by shadosa » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:24 pm

Yea mega. I'll help you but please understand that if you want orginal music, plots, pictures, etc... it will take a Very Long Time (*unless you don't want orginal stuff (*Cough* riped *cough*)) But if you need things in music or in the coding\plot i'm game for it. just let us know what you need
darkness is the way of the light. everyone goes to the darkness after awhile. Why not sooner.
The sword waits for no man and no time. I will be bested but not by you and not now
shadosa

User avatar
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 pm
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series
Location: USA
Contact:

#3 Post by Megaman Z » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Shadosa>>original material would be preferred, ripped stuff would suffice, though.
~Kitsune Zeta

PixelWrangler
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Swimming in the sea of electronic dots
Contact:

#4 Post by PixelWrangler » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:42 pm

Areas I'd be able to lend assistance: Music, CG, Writing... not sure on the definition of "RPG expert"

Availability to actually do so: Uncertain

I can compose solid music, write well (at least I think so ;)), and create decent sprite or CG artwork. As for "RPG expert", if it involves game design, planning, plotting, character development, etc, then I can do that as well (in fact, I _love_ doing that type of stuff). If it involves actual game system mechanics... not so much. However, I'm not sure what my availibility will be. My (former) NNRO project is at the front right now.

Keep in mind that an RPG-style game takes a LOT more time and effort than a traditional ren'ai game (as I'm sure you know)... creating the battle system, balancing the creature and player attributes, setting the level parameters, developing the battle system... all of this is very time consuming. (Unless, of course, you're using a tool like RPG maker... that takes a bit of the sting out of it)

A while back, I started work on a Dragon Warrior/8-bit Final Fantasy style RPG game, but stalled out on it due to the sheer vastness and complexity of the game. It's still on the back burner, and not forgotten, but I decided to work on a ren'ai game because its scope is a lot more managable. Granted, with a team it becomes a lot easier, but it's still quite an undertaking.

Just my fifth of a dime.

P.W.

P.S. - "Pixel Wrangler" is a term I came up with a while back to refer to someone who creates 8- or 16-bit sprite graphics for games. :)
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

User avatar
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 3249
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:03 am
itch: atpprojects
Contact:

#5 Post by mikey » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:52 pm

Oh no... you do know, that from my birth I was already by some strange quirk of fate immune to RPGs... anyhow, good luck, and once finished, I WILL play it for sure.

User avatar
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 pm
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series
Location: USA
Contact:

#6 Post by Megaman Z » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm

PW>> your pick: Sprites, Music, Plot, or a combination of the three. (an RPG expert, by my definition, someone who spends TOO MUCH TIME IN FRONT OF A MONITOR PLAYING AN RPG and has a clue about how the mechanics work. I'm halfway there: I have a bit of a clue about how the mechanics of an RPG work.)

mikey>> :shock: O-Kay... by immune do you mean "drawn to it" or "not at all affected by it"?

still need some volenteers (and victims for testing. D. Zeta declined public testing duty...)
~Kitsune Zeta

User avatar
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 3249
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:03 am
itch: atpprojects
Contact:

#7 Post by mikey » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:06 pm

Megaman Z wrote:mikey>> :shock: O-Kay... by immune do you mean "drawn to it" or "not at all affected by it"?
Not affected :( I've tried them all, FFs, Xentars, Pokemon you name it. But I try to put it to some good use and give non-biased suggestions - I'm not really anti-RPG (live and let live), I just don't like people pushing me into trying this or that that will surely change my mind.

User avatar
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 pm
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series
Location: USA
Contact:

#8 Post by Megaman Z » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:09 pm

mikey wrote:
Megaman Z wrote:mikey>> :shock: O-Kay... by immune do you mean "drawn to it" or "not at all affected by it"?
Not affected :( I've tried them all, FFs, Xentars, Pokemon you name it. But I try to put it to some good use and give non-biased suggestions - I'm not really anti-RPG (live and let live), I just don't like people pushing me into trying this or that that will surely change my mind.
(just for the record, I stopped reading at "Poke'mon") well, at least it won't be bashed apart if this gets done...
~Kitsune Zeta

Guest

#9 Post by Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:52 pm

Megaman Z wrote:PW>> your pick: Sprites, Music, Plot, or a combination of the three.
Long answer: I'll think about participating... then, if I decide to participate, I'll decide what to do.
Short answer: I'll think about it.
French answer: Je ce penser.
Japanese answer: Boku, sore de omoi desu.

(pardon the bad French and Japanese... not techically fluent in either. :P )
Megaman Z wrote:(an RPG expert, by my definition, someone who spends TOO MUCH TIME IN FRONT OF A MONITOR PLAYING AN RPG and has a clue about how the mechanics work. I'm halfway there: I have a bit of a clue about how the mechanics of an RPG work.)
Mmm... sounds like you're in for a tricky ride, there. Just playing computer RPGs may give you a vague understanding of the mechanics, but the actual planning is quite complicated. For example:

- How many hit points should the player character start out with?
- How much experience should it take for the PC (player character) to level up?
- How many additional hit points should the character gain for each level, given the experience required to level up?
- How easy should a creature be to defeat, given the player's level?
- How much experience should a player gain for defeating a creature, relying on the difference in level?
- What statistics does the PC have, and how do they affect his in-game performance?
- How far on the map should the player be allowed to get before encountering creatures that are too difficult to defeat?

These are just basic leveling/experience questions for PCs and creatures... then you have to worry about the dynamics of the battle system, special abilities, spells, etc...

I'm not trying to discourage you... really, I'm not. ;) However, there is a lot of pre-planning and system development that goes into an RPG game long before graphics and story even come into play.

Just my two-fifths of one-twentieth of a dollar.

P.W.

PixelWrangler
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Swimming in the sea of electronic dots
Contact:

#10 Post by PixelWrangler » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:55 pm

Then there's the question:

- Will PixelWrangler ever remember to log in before posting replies on this board? :lol:

(Sadly, I'm used to boards that automatically bring you to a login screen if you try to post without signing in.)

Oops.

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

User avatar
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 pm
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series
Location: USA
Contact:

#11 Post by Megaman Z » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:16 pm

PixelWrangler wrote:
Megaman Z wrote:PW>> your pick: Sprites, Music, Plot, or a combination of the three.
Long answer: I'll think about participating... then, if I decide to participate, I'll decide what to do.
Short answer: I'll think about it.
French answer: Je ce penser.
Japanese answer: Boku, sore de omoi desu.

(pardon the bad French and Japanese... not techically fluent in either. :P )
Megaman Z wrote:(an RPG expert, by my definition, someone who spends TOO MUCH TIME IN FRONT OF A MONITOR PLAYING AN RPG and has a clue about how the mechanics work. I'm halfway there: I have a bit of a clue about how the mechanics of an RPG work.)
Mmm... sounds like you're in for a tricky ride, there. Just playing computer RPGs may give you a vague understanding of the mechanics, but the actual planning is quite complicated. For example:

- How many hit points should the player character start out with?
- How much experience should it take for the PC (player character) to level up?
- How many additional hit points should the character gain for each level, given the experience required to level up?
- How easy should a creature be to defeat, given the player's level?
- How much experience should a player gain for defeating a creature, relying on the difference in level?
- What statistics does the PC have, and how do they affect his in-game performance?
- How far on the map should the player be allowed to get before encountering creatures that are too difficult to defeat?

These are just basic leveling/experience questions for PCs and creatures... then you have to worry about the dynamics of the battle system, special abilities, spells, etc...

I'm not trying to discourage you... really, I'm not. ;) However, there is a lot of pre-planning and system development that goes into an RPG game long before graphics and story even come into play.

Just my two-fifths of one-twentieth of a dollar.

P.W.
---------------------------------------------------Post divider------------------------------------------
Then there's the question:

- Will PixelWrangler ever remember to log in before posting replies on this board? :lol:

(Sadly, I'm used to boards that automatically bring you to a login screen if you try to post without signing in.)

Oops.

P.W.
(+sarcasm)ya know, there's this little checkmark at the login page that says "automatically log me in". you can try ticking that.(-sarcasm)

back on-topic, I know (from the dead projects) that an RPG takes a while to do. Personally, I believe if someone can give me a script, someone else does art and sprites, somebody else does music, and somebody (besides Shadosa) that's an RPG expert can figure out the fine details on the statistics, I can put all those pieces together, slip in a couple jokes of my own, and we'll have a decent RPG game. (and possibly a renai one at that!)

(also, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person here that has seen/played "Romancing Walker" [by FLARE], but that is pretty close to what I would ultimately like to do, but with a shorter playtime (less than ten hours, after modding the stats) and more focus on the interaction with the main character's friend)
~Kitsune Zeta

BlackSpider
Regular
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Contact:

#12 Post by BlackSpider » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:40 pm

You know, I really would like to see a fanmade ren'ai RPG game. But not just simple stuff where you see all characters as little sprites from above (like in the old C64 era). I'd like to see something similar to "Betrayal at Krondor" (it's a very old game btw) but with a ren'ai twist in it. That means a 3D FPP/RPG ren'ai game with a 3D battle system (even a simple one like in the game I mentioned earlier), magic, skills rising and a good script. Oh well, just ranting. Don't mind me...

User avatar
Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:45 pm
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series
Location: USA
Contact:

#13 Post by Megaman Z » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:57 pm

BlackSpider wrote:You know, I really would like to see a fanmade ren'ai RPG game. But not just simple stuff where you see all characters as little sprites from above (like in the old C64 era). I'd like to see something similar to "Betrayal at Krondor" (it's a very old game btw) but with a ren'ai twist in it. That means a 3D FPP/RPG ren'ai game with a 3D battle system (even a simple one like in the game I mentioned earlier), magic, skills rising and a good script. Oh well, just ranting. Don't mind me...
I recall the game name, but I don't think I ever played it...

one of the reasons I'm looking for a CG artist is because I want to be able to show more detail than possible just using sprites...
~Kitsune Zeta

RedSlash
Veteran
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:48 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#14 Post by RedSlash » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:48 pm

I volunteer myself for testing.

bookie
Veteran
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:17 pm
Contact:

#15 Post by bookie » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:29 pm

lol, krondor.

I agree, an old fashioned, sprite based RPG would be great. I'd play it even if it wasn't ren'ai. Something like Lunar maybe.

I'm not going to offer my help because I can't guarantee it. If in a few months or so you're desperate for a script writer poke me.

edit: if you want more detail than sprites, I'd go for a cut scene or two, just like lunar did it, (sans animation) or a system where you could find portraits and view them in game.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users