Using stock backgrounds for a demo?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
dmasterxd
Regular
Completed: Mage Wars
Projects: Falling Star
Organization: Star Guide

Using stock backgrounds for a demo?

#1 Post by dmasterxd »

Is this a good idea? I’ve managed to commission sprites for the characters and music but I’m starting to run dry so I can’t pay for a BG artist right now.

My plan was to use a Kickstarter but I’ve heard you should have a demo released representative of the final project. But if I was planning on changing the backgrounds with the Kickstarter funds, would that even be a good idea? Or would it ruin the game’s chances of getting funded?

Please and thank you.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Using stock backgrounds for a demo?

#2 Post by fleet »

Just my opinion:
I don't see a major problem with using stock backgrounds for your kickstarter demo. I would advice you saying specifically that you are going to use the kickstarter funds to replace the stock images.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

fleet wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:53 pm Just my opinion:
I don't see a major problem with using stock backgrounds for your kickstarter demo. I would advice you saying specifically that you are going to use the kickstarter funds to replace the stock images.
I agree with this. Just make sure the backgrounds are allowed for use in a commercial product.

Ana
Regular

#4 Post by Ana »

I don't think it's necessarily bad to use stock backgrounds at all as long as its non-obvious (i.e. some changes are made if applicable) and it depends on which platform/type of game you intend to make. For some of the voltage games and other phone games, companies often use stock backgrounds and people still play them anyway.

For a demo, I think it should be okay as well.

pumpkin spike
Regular
Projects: A Bureau of Monsters
itch: pumpkin-spike

#5 Post by pumpkin spike »

I don't see anything wrong with using stock backgrounds, a note mentioning (heavy) background changes for the full release would probably be helpful to make it less jarring for the player.
WIP AllxAll game with turn based fighting (Demo 2.0 out!)

WIP Yaoi game Demo 1.0 out! (haitus)