Questions About CG Gallery Expectations

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

Questions About CG Gallery Expectations

#1 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

While implementing the CG Gallery for my project, I started wondering about certain expectations that players might have for how CG Galleries look and work. So before I consider my game's gallery as final, I thought I'd ask some of the questions I came up with.

1 - Are variations of a CG expected to all be viewed from a single gallery entry, or can each variation be listed as a separate CG? An example of the differences in a paged gallery with 4 CGs a page:

Variants in a single entry: 1abc, 2, 3ab, 4

Variants as own entries: 1a, 1b, 1c, 2

2 - In a paged gallery (as opposed to a scrolling gallery), is it awkward to have a final page that isn't full? For example, a gallery that usually has 4 CGs per page having only one or two on the final page.

3 - For CGs that have not been unlocked yet, what sort of feedback is expected/preferred? (Some games have a lock image, some leave the entry blank, and some have a darkened/blurred version of the CG.)
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

Re: Questions About CG Gallery Expectations

#2 Post by mitoky »

1.) Personally i prefer it if variations are viewed from one entry (1abc, 2, 3ab, 4).
2.) No, i don't think thats akward at all.
3.) I prefer a Lock as symbol, 'Locked' as text or simply left blank. If its a joined gallery (not per character, but one for all) maybe some slightly transparents picture of the character over a blank thumbnail too would maybe look nice, but i personally dont like blurred versions very much as its a slight 'spoiler' in my view. And if blurred beyond recognition, it doesnt looks as appealing.

I hope i could help!

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

#3 Post by Milkymalk »

1. I'd prefer variations to be one single entry.
2. No, it's fine. Of course full pages look neater, but I don't expect anyone to throw in crappy CGs just to fill a page.
3. Either a "locked" image (an actual lock, a question mark or such) or a stand-in depicting the character it is related to so I can go "hunting" for it in case I missed it on my playthrough. No spoilery blurred images though.

For a bonus, the ability to replay the scene where I got the CG from is always very nice! When I played G-Senjou no Maou, I ended up with so many savegames because I wanted to be able to revisit certain scenes.
Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

Jackkel Dragon
Veteran
Organization: Nightshade, Team Despair
itch: jackkel-dragon

#4 Post by Jackkel Dragon »

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping for more responses, but any help is welcome. I'll need to mess around with the gallery, see if I can find something that works well.
For a bonus, the ability to replay the scene where I got the CG from is always very nice!
The project I'm working on actually has a separate scene replay feature that can replay most of the game, so there's something like that in the game. Hopefully that's a useful feature for some people.
Main Website
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.

Major Game Projects
[Nightshade] Eldritch Academy, Eldritch University, Blooming Nightshade, Flowering Nightshade, Life as Designed
[Team Despair] Corpse Party D2 series

pumpkin spike
Regular
Projects: A Bureau of Monsters
itch: pumpkin-spike

#5 Post by pumpkin spike »

If you're looking for any feedback:

1 - I expect variations of a CG to be viewed in a single gallery entry, but I wouldn't necessarily mind if it had its own separate entry either, so long as its consistent throughout.

2 - I think that would depend on proportioning. I wouldn't bat an eye if you did 3 CGs a page and a page had one CG left over, but if it was a page with 10 CGs and there's 1 left over, it would feel a bit odd and perhaps worth reorganizing with a different number of CGs per page.

3 - Definitely prefer a lock image. I wouldn't mind a blank entry, but would feel rather unhappy with a darken/blurred version.
WIP AllxAll game with turn based fighting (Demo 2.0 out!)

WIP Yaoi game Demo 1.0 out! (haitus)