Abusive relationship focused otome?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
dustyotome
Projects: Dear Teacher (demo)
itch: dustymanson

Abusive relationship focused otome?

#1 Post by dustyotome »

I have an idea for an otome game but I'm not sure if anybody would even be interested in playing it. Most otome games are very cute and fuzzy with weak or slow MCs that just let whatever happen.

I was thinking of creating an otome game but instead of trying to date a man; it starts out you are already in a relationship. The longer you are with the guy the more you notice things aren't as they should be. The main goal is to leave the relationship without too much damage to yourself (mental and physical). If you aren't able to leave then it can be very bad (most extreme would be death).

There will be neglect, isolation, gas lighting, brain washing (guy making you believe he is good when he is really a monster), physical and mental harm. Basically trying to cover various forms of bad relationships.

My main issue is that this would be very hard for me to make because most of this has happened to me and I'm lucky to have gotten out. I see myself crying a lot and possible panic attacks if I did try to make this game.

I just was thinking that I could help raise awareness of how bad relationships can be and that some times the best thing for you to do is to just pack up and leave. I would also include information about where to get help if you are currently in any types of these situations.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Abusive relationship focused otome?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

Would I play a game like that? Sure.
Two problems I can think of?
1) This sort of game would be most effective if the player doesn't know what it is about. However, in 2018, there is no way you could put out a game like that with all sorts of very explicit trigger warnings, which would ruin the effect.
2) While I may play the game, it sounds like you maybe shouldn't make the game. If making the game would trigger and traumatize you...then maybe you shouldn't make it. Safety first. Take care of yourself.
Last edited by trooper6 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Lynn Dentell
Deviantart: LynnChoco

#3 Post by Lynn Dentell »

Hi,

Yeah I would play that kind of game, but only if the design and the plot are good (it might seem obvious, but just take Amnesia or Diabolik Lovers as an exemple :if I can't refresh my eyes with what I'm seeing, I won't make it until the end, be it a good or bad ending.).
Also, you should integrate "investigation" context in the game : having the right to explore makes it more thrilling, especially when you might be discovered at anytime.

BUT : 1/ As trooper said, you will have to find a way to promote your game, that doesn't destroy the mystery around your story.
2/It might be just my opinion, but If there is no "love" ending,maybe try to make something happen in the good ending that makes the protagonist learn, and earn something, whatever it may be ( a friendship with someone else, a lesson, a better life...).

Good luck !

dustyotome

#4 Post by dustyotome »

Lynn Dentell wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:15 pm Also, you should integrate "investigation" context in the game : having the right to explore makes it more thrilling, especially when you might be discovered at anytime.

If there is no "love" ending,maybe try to make something happen in the good ending that makes the protagonist learn, and earn something, whatever it may be ( a friendship with someone else, a lesson, a better life...).
Thats very great ideas. Thank you

AS per the good endings; I'm sure what they would be but they will be generally good (become stronger, learning, etc). Would like to even have one of the good endings be that you end up killing your boyfriend, in self defense, who you found out was a serial abuser.

This would bea huge project for me and it would take a while to create because I'm still new to coding and I don't want this game to be subpar.

milkteebaby
Regular
Projects: PS: I Love You
Tumblr: milkteebaby
Deviantart: milkteebaby

#5 Post by milkteebaby »

I agree with you; I think most otome games are a little fuzzy and overly romanticized. Me personally, I'm getting a little tired of playing as a high school character. As a woman who recently crossed the 30 year old threshold, I'd like to see otome games that are a little more gritty. I think your idea is interesting and quite provocative, definitely going against the grain of the average run-of-the-mill otome game.

However, would a game like this, if there is no pursuing of a romantic partner, even be considered otome? An otome game, usually, is a female protagonist romancing a male character. This sounds more like a VN. I'm not sure if I would enjoy playing an otome game that didn't end up with a character falling in love :/

In addition, you would definitely need to put up a trigger warning, making it very clear what your subject matter is.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

One more quick piece of advice. You mentioned you've never done this before and you are super invested in this game. My advice would be to not do your dream game as your first game. I'd recommend doing a 10 minute game first, it will teach you a lot and your next game would be much better for it.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

milkteebaby
Regular
Projects: PS: I Love You
Tumblr: milkteebaby
Deviantart: milkteebaby

#7 Post by milkteebaby »

trooper6 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 pm One more quick piece of advice. You mentioned you've never done this before and you are super invested in this game. My advice would be to not do your dream game as your first game. I'd recommend doing a 10 minute game first, it will teach you a lot and your next game would be much better for it.
This so much :D

dustyotome

#8 Post by dustyotome »

trooper6 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 pm One more quick piece of advice. You mentioned you've never done this before and you are super invested in this game. My advice would be to not do your dream game as your first game. I'd recommend doing a 10 minute game first, it will teach you a lot and your next game would be much better for it.
This would be my first long game. I have made a ten min mad lib otome and it was writer's block hell because I'm used to writing only short poems and stories

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#9 Post by Katy133 »

If you're looking for inspiration, you may want to check out the free online game, Grace's Diary. It's a visual novel that was made for Jennifer Ann's Group, which hosts a yearly game jam to raise awareness on teen dating violence. I've played Grace's Diary, and that made me interested in your game idea when I read it.
Last edited by Katy133 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

dustyotome

#10 Post by dustyotome »

Katy133 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:24 pm If you're looking for inspiration, you may want to check out the free online game, Grace's Diary. It's a visual novel that was made for Jennifer Ann's Group, which hosts a yearly game jam to raise awareness on teen dating violence. I've played Grace's Diary, and that make me interested in your game idea when I read it.
Never heard of that game before. Thanks.

I was going to base this game off of my experiences and stories I have heard of from others.

Draziya
Regular
Completed: this was for you. [NaNoRenO 19], Acetylene [AceJam19], Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World [MonJam 18], I Don't Have A Clue [QRMJam 18], Cautionary Tale [NaNoRenO 18], OP Dodge Cross [GGJ 18], Acetone [AceJam 18]
Projects: I'm a love interest in my childhood friend's reverse harem!!
Organization: Watercress
itch: Drazillion

#11 Post by Draziya »

I think the concept would be interesting, and I agree that it shouldn't be framed as an otome, and that it should be explicitly be stated as a VN with abusive themes. I think you could do a lot when you know your reader knows what the VN is about, and what they're getting into, though yes, please take care of yourself!

Though it's not quite the same, it reminds me of I Woke Up Next To You Again.

Banya
Regular
Completed: Deep Inside, KOI, ROAR, Dreamquartz, YOLO
Projects: Emerald Wasp
Deviantart: Banya-Laplace-Studio
itch: banya

#12 Post by Banya »

Maybe it would gain more consense if it was labeled as a horror game, but I'd play it and I think it would be useful.
I would do different kind of relationships too, because there's not a single 'abusive' profile, there are many, some more subtle. So basically like an otome but instead of the tropes like the tsundere, yandere, dandere, ecc, you have different abusive partners' tropes.