Concerns about Creating a VN

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Anihime
Deviantart: AnimeFanatic02

Concerns about Creating a VN

#1 Post by Anihime »

I've never created a VN before but I've written ideas for VN games. About a month or so back, I tried my hand at Ren'py then bought a VN creator... but I still don't understand how creating a VN works. To me, it seems like I have to dabble a lot with coding- something I have little to no experience in- and everything seems so complicated...

I want to be able to create one on my own but I'm too scared to because I don't understand coding. I know there are tutorials out there but all the information is a lot to take in... >< I feel like if there's no one in person teaching me how to do this, I won't completely understand it...!

If anybody has dabbled with Ren'py or VN creators before, please let me know what your experience with those was like. Was it complicated to learn on your own? Did you have someone helping you out? Or did it all come easily to you either due to experience or dabbling with code before? Or am I just making it out to be harder than it actually is?

If there is an easier way to learn about this kind of stuff, please let me know on that as well.

Thank you!

milkteebaby
Regular
Projects: PS: I Love You
Tumblr: milkteebaby
Deviantart: milkteebaby

Re: Concerns about Creating a VN

#2 Post by milkteebaby »

If you can't code, then pick up Tyranobuilder. It's only $15 on Steam. Almost no coding necessary.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

You can learn to code. Also how much learning you must do really depends on how complicated you want your game to be. If you are not planning on making a complicated game then the code isn't complicated. This is a complete working game in Ren'py for example:

Code: Select all

label start:
    scene black
    "It was night and I couldn't see anything."
    "Then I decided to go back to sleep."
    "The end."
Really if you are worried. I'd say build a basic test game that consists of one scene, just like the one above. Then add elements one at a time. For example add a background other than black. Then create two characters with images. Show these characters and have them "talk." When you have that, add a choice menu.

Just build up little by little and look at the code of other games. Study the code of The Question for example.

You can do it if you want to.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

I have almost no experience coding in Python and I've found that taking things one step at a time has allowed me to learn Ren'Py fairly well.
You can create a game in Ren'Py with no coding knowledge, then expand upon that as trooper6 suggests.

From time to time you'll stumble, but the forum, documentation and Ren'Py tutorial are always there to help you overcome any obstacles you face.
Its okay to be a beginner, everyone was at one point.
It will take time and effort, but the end result is usually worth it, even if you fail, you gain experience for your next attempt.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#5 Post by Mutive »

Echoing everyone else, but Ren'Py is a very user friendly system! (Especially if all you're trying to do is something really basic.)

There are also a ton of great examples in the Cookbook if you're trying to do something fancier. (Most of it just comes down to copying and pasting their code then inserting your own dialogue or images.)

As long as you're not super determined to do something fancy like, oh, create a complex combat and inventory system, you can probably figure it out! (And even if that is your goal, people here are super helpful I've found!)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by rayminator »

go step by step to learn how to code

by watching tutorials and repeat them
by looking at renpy cookbook
by asking help here if you get stuck on something
by looking others peoples codes
and last one would be go to python website as well there thing on there
but be careful there web base codes that are in python so when you go there, there should be a category for games

for now work on a game that is basic and build upon it while you learn