In Honor Of Princess Maker 4...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Xarbia

#31 Post by Xarbia »

I must say it is looking quite good. I don't know if you are interested in any bug reports at this time, but I'll just post what I have found here.

When I move my arrow over a flower in the "outfit" screen I get an error message. In the draw event for object equip_item, line 29 position 39, the + operator receives the wrong type of arguments.

Also, I somehow managed to duplicate my dagger ten times in the forge. I don't know how exactly I did it, but at a certain time every right-click would add another dagger to my inventory.

Related to this, when I have too many items in my inventory the descriptions are drawed over the items.

After learning new recipes in the kitchen school, there is a "continue" button on top of the "learn new recipes" and "brew potions" buttens.

When my stamina grew higher than 150 it started to draw a red bar outside the area that seems to be meant for it.
Last edited by Xarbia on Wed May 11, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Iaman
Regular

#32 Post by Iaman »

PixelWrangler wrote:bookie/Iaman

Let me guess... on your first games... housewife? :wink:
Actually, no. First time, it was painter or whatever. Second, housewife. Third, fortune teller. Fourth, housewife.

Interestingly enough, the second time was when I raised her up almost entirely as a farmer and a battler. I went into the wild almost every month for two years, and I had her constitution, combat attack, and magic stuff at their maximum. I just had her do a little bit of housework and some decor classes in the last year or two and raised myself up to be able to talk to the king. Glitch in the game maybe?
I have no pants!

#33 Post by Guest »

... one does wonder WHY you are playing long enough to get your stamina over 150, given that the actual GAME isn't there at all yet. :)

It is a little early for bug reports since there are many things I haven't even *started* to do yet (like capping the stats, because I don't want to mess with it until I have a better idea of what a good range is. I think I'll have them max out at 250 but I'm not completely sure.). I'll have to look into figuring out how you managed to create infinite daggers though. That would be a problem. :) (I think I may know, actually. If so, it's very good that you caught it, because it would have taken me forever to notice... Will check when I get home.)

PixelWrangler
Regular

#34 Post by PixelWrangler »

Iaman wrote:Interestingly enough, the second time was when I raised her up almost entirely as a farmer and a battler. I went into the wild almost every month for two years, and I had her constitution, combat attack, and magic stuff at their maximum. I just had her do a little bit of housework and some decor classes in the last year or two and raised myself up to be able to talk to the king. Glitch in the game maybe?
Not really. The social ladder in PM2 isn't really a "ladder", except for the fact that you need a certain level of decorum/conversation to talk to different characters, and certain attributes to gain social status from the conversations. The King is not the "end of the road", so to speak.

A high Fighter's Reputation is what the King looks for, so the fact that you were raising a Warrior meant that all you had to do was up her Refinement/Decorum enough to get an audience... the housework helped with conversation, and the decor classes with decorum.

Two "tricks" I can think of right off the top of my head are the Sudden Summer Slimdown (an entire summer of vacations at the beach right at the end of the game to bring your daughter's weight down to fancy dress/dragon tights level), and the Spend Away Your Sin trick (donate, donate, donate at the church in town to get rid of Sin from killing creatures).

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#35 Post by papillon »

While this game is still not done, I have another little toy in development for it...

http://www.hanakogames.com/avatar/

This is not completely finished, but it does mostly work (except that we forgot to put multiple digits into the code, so the tenth option for a dress can't be selected yet. :) )

Make choices, hit the button, then SAVE THE IMAGE that comes out the other end. Don't link to it.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#36 Post by PyTom »

Since I was bored*, I threw together a Javascript version of the avatar maker, with a live preview. Since I don't know the actual offsets for the images, some of those are guesses, and I only implemented a few of the choices. But if you want a dynamic version of the avatar maker, this could be a good starting point.

It's at:

http://www.bishoujo.us/tmp/kkav.html

* Trying to come up with a good way of embedding images in text in Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#37 Post by papillon »

Neat! :)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#38 Post by rioka »

Nice one, PyTom! If you're bored, I'm sure we can find some other stuff for you to do. ;)

re papillon>> Nice choices. Will we be able to choose the skins in the game too? At least the body and eye color?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#39 Post by papillon »

Nope, sorry. While it's simple enough to make multiple choices for *sprites*, it would be too hard to make all the big CGs have tons of options on them. But I thought it would get boring if I made an avatar-maker that only let you have one skin color and one hairstyle, so I made up some extras.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#40 Post by papillon »

Demo time!

http://papillon.fileburst.com/CuteKnightDemo.exe

Let me know if any errors pop up in it.

The full thing is in a "sort of" done stage, but I can't give you any kind of release date at the moment.

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#41 Post by JackalAndromeda »

I just finished playing the demo, and it's really cute so far! I haven't had any bugs or problems with it when I was playing. I've never really played a sim game like this. It sort of reminds me of monster rancher, with the work system.

The graphics really look nice! I love the opening image.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#42 Post by mikey »

Well I did play a bit and in fact it completely reminded me of Princess Maker, which I also played a bit. It kind of says it all. I haven't really played it thoroughly or anything, and I am RPG-negative, so take these comments with that in mind:

I didn't actually die, which was a welcome change from all my RPG experiences and also I have to say the dungeon was very neat and organized - I kind of compare that to Ronin (the Flash game), which had a much much more confusing system, this along with the minimap is excellent and responsive.

Because stats and figures put me off, I'd like the background pictures in the screens (shoppe, castle, etc) to be more present, less faded away, because it sort of makes the whole screen look like a stats screen and throws me into a depressive all-stats mood - you spend quite a lot of time looking at numbers, so I just wanted to suggest a more lively backdrop to counter that.

Apart from that I can't really comment, because you know... so the last objective comment from me concerns the "Buy Game" button, which when I click it closes the game. I found that a bit strange, but it's no biggie.

That's about it! I'm pretty sure you will have a winner here, good luck! :P

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#43 Post by Blue Lemma »

I haven't tried the demo yet, but the avatar-maker is cool 8) Am I going crazy or is the background of the town a mini-version of some of the Charm School world? :wink:

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#44 Post by papillon »

No, it's not actually graphics from CS, but they're both little pixelly things done by me, so they probably feel similar. :)

I'm also currently working on a different avatar maker for gothic lolita dolls but it's not finished yet... The characters are a little bigger and the outfits are more complicated so it's taking time to get the graphics done. Dollies! I like dollies!

EDIT: If you want to see the other dollie toy in development, go to

http://www.loligoth.com/web.shtml

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#45 Post by papillon »

*gulps*

Gods, this is always the worst part. The 'trying to stick a fork in it and say done' part. I'm always TERRIFIED I've missed something huge and obvious (And sometimes I have!) And I'm still trying to negotiate with people over publishing deals, because I'd *like* to get a retail version of this out someday....

... the meaning of all this blithering is that I've put a 1.0 version up for sale.

http://www.hanakogames.com/knight.shtml

Now I plunge into a depression for a few weeks.

(Seriously. Finishing a game bums me out. Suddenly I don't know what to do with my time. And I panic about whether everyone will hate it or not. I'm a MESS when I try to finish stuff.)