In Honor Of Princess Maker 4...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Iaman
Regular

#16 Post by Iaman »

I remember when i played like, princess maker 2, i never actually went out and fought in the dungeony things... I think i may have gone once and gotten powned by some random enemy, and then I never went outside again... XD...
I have no pants!

bookie
Veteran

#17 Post by bookie »

Oh man that brings back memories. I did that my first time too, and then the second I got a little braver. And the third I looked up a guide to try bruting my way through but that was boring and I stopped.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#18 Post by PixelWrangler »

bookie/Iaman

Let me guess... on your first games... housewife? :wink:

I'm trying to remember how many times I ventured forth into the great wide open my first game... I think it may have been at least once to each location, plus an extra trip or two... so most likely somewhere between 4 and 8.

Of course, I hadn't figured out any of the game mechanisms, so I got the housewife ending the first time through. Quite a bit of time and several play-throughs later... Princess twice.

And, slightly later on, a self-made hacked King/Princess ending. ;)

The other thing of note I did at one point was figure out how to play through the game so that you can actually defeat the patron deity at the altar at the Northern Glacier. I had heard that it could be done, and was curious to find out how. Mission accomplished. :)

P.W.

P.S. - For more Tales of Princess Maker 2... 2... 2... 2..., check out http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=215. ^_^\/

P.P.S. - For the story behind the failed U.S. release of Princess Maker 2, check out http://www.softegg.com/products/pm2/pm2.html
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

bookie
Veteran

#19 Post by bookie »

Nope, I got a married lumberjack the first try, and a combat instructor the second. :o

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#20 Post by chronoluminaire »

I raised a painter :) Her biography is here: http://www.toothycat.net/wiki/wiki.pl?P ... adiaSakana

Cazel
Regular

#21 Post by Cazel »

Hmm... I think my first character was captain of the guard or something like that. I only focused on strength and combat ability. For whatever reason, I always had an easier time developing fighting characters than anything else. And I always forgot to visit the prince. :?

#22 Post by Guest »

I'm not sure yet what the losing ending will be like - because of the game structure you can lose early without having completed the entire timespan (No, not dead - it may not even be POSSIBLE to really die, I haven't decided yet.) But since my character is a little bit older and not living at home with Daddy Dearest, waiting at home to become a housewife isn't an appropriate loss ending. But "starving to death on the streets" is too depressing to be an ending you can get just for screwing up. You'd have to be TRYING to get an ending that bad, in my book. :)

Maybe there just won't be one default loss ending and an early loss will simply jump you to the typical method of picking endings but with all the better endings barred from you. (The equivalent of getting part-time-worker endings in pm2, I guess.)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by chronoluminaire »

Was that you this time, Papillon? :?
[EDIT: :oops: :oops: Delete my mis-pasted text :oops: :oops:]
Last edited by chronoluminaire on Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#24 Post by papillon »

Bug report? Simulink? Huh? Did I break the board or something?

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by chronoluminaire »

Er. Ehehe. Whoops. No, nothing like that, just me pasting the text into the wrong box :oops: I only meant to ask whether the "Guest" above me was you or someone else. That'll teach me to use the boards at work ^^;;

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#26 Post by papillon »

Yeah, that's me. I try not to log in when I'm posting on my lunch break from a public computer, see. :)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#27 Post by papillon »

If you want a look at the development and aren't worried about having anything spoiled, there's an early demo available at

http://rpgdx.net/showgame.php?project_id=305

This shows a little bit of the *gameplay* but the *storyline* is completely not written.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#28 Post by Megaman Z »

I'll pass this time...
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#29 Post by PyTom »

For what it's worth, running the game on Windows 2000 under Vmware 5, I get the following error message:

"Failed to allocate back-buffer. Your graphics card might not have enough memory. Try to reduce the screen resolution or color depth and run again."

It then terminates. Following the advice doesn't help.

I haven't tried it on a real windows box, but I just thought I'd mention this, on the off chance theres something that can be done.

Z>>> You really don't need to keep the forum informed of everything you're not going to do.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#30 Post by papillon »

I wish that "advice" wasn't in the default message, since it almost NEVER works and the REAL advice is the previous sentence, which everyone overlooks.

"Your graphics card may not have enough memory."

99% of the time that's the actual problem.

16MB vRAM, DirectX 8 needed, and I haven't yet seen anyone get the GM6 engine working under Wine or the like. Oh, and anyone with the ProSavage series of graphics cards is also out of luck, they're known to be incompatible and produce bizarre graphical errors. There are reasons that I'm considering moving to Torque2d after this project. :)