In Honor Of Princess Maker 4...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

In Honor Of Princess Maker 4...

#1 Post by papillon »

... which we can't play, some screenshots of the project I'm puttering around with. :)

As usual, engines are easy, finishing the game is hard, do not expect this ANY time soon (although at least I'm doing most of this art myself so it won't be as much in limbo as SS!)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

omfg...

*/me goes to change his pants*

You're really doing a raising sim?!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

bookie
Veteran

#3 Post by bookie »

Woo Princess maker! I got that game by accident once, and it was wondeful. I'd love to see an indy version.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#4 Post by papillon »

... It's not *that* surprising, considering I did Charm School well over a year ago now. Time for another try. I've gotten better. :)

More RPG focused than child-raising. You *are* the character, not a parent nurturing the character (The poor girl's an orphan, see!) and you have from your 18th birthday to your 21st birthday to find your destiny without running out of dreams (Your Dream stat is run down by various things, like failure at your job, being beaten in a fight... anything that makes you feel depressed and worthless and want to give up).

I have another concept floating around that is more child-raising-focused but it has never gotten past the basic idea stage. This, on the other hand, has a demo with various bits of the engine in place - Jobs and classes exist, as you see from the screenshot. I've got a random dungeon generator but I haven't started on the wandering around and fighting stuff part yet.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#5 Post by kara24601 »

Yay!
I'm even more excited than that but I don't know what else to say.
*laughs*

Gloranor
Regular

#6 Post by Gloranor »

Heh, a PM-like game is always good to see :-D
Actually, PM2 was my entry drug to all this - first PM2, then TL'95, then Season of Sakura... *goes into nostalgia-daydream-mode* ;-)

Grey
Veteran

#7 Post by Grey »

Looking nice :D

I wish you luck in creating it, will be nice to see another PM2esque english raising sim!

PixelWrangler
Regular

Re: In Honor Of Princess Maker 4...

#8 Post by PixelWrangler »

papillon wrote:... which we can't play, some screenshots of the project I'm puttering around with. :)

As usual, engines are easy, finishing the game is hard, do not expect this ANY time soon (although at least I'm doing most of this art myself so it won't be as much in limbo as SS!)
Looking very nice, Papillon. :)

Is the game engine one that you programmed yourself, or is there an ready-to-go engine that makes creating a PM-style game easier?

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#9 Post by papillon »

Like most things I do (you have noticed I have a site full of games? :) ), it's all GM-based. So there's an "engine" in the sense that there's a basis for handling graphics, visual collisions, processing mouse clicks, etc. There's certainly nothing designed for the particular kind of game.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#10 Post by PixelWrangler »

papillon wrote:Like most things I do (you have noticed I have a site full of games? :) ), it's all GM-based. So there's an "engine" in the sense that there's a basis for handling graphics, visual collisions, processing mouse clicks, etc. There's certainly nothing designed for the particular kind of game.
Ah... actually, I'd somehow neglected to click on the link until you mentioned it... :P Nice site, and interesting-looking games.

I didn't think there was a specific engine for child-raising sims... but then again, I didn't know there were engines (Japanese and American) for ren'ai games until recently, either. :)

Does "GM-based" stand for "Game Maker-based"? If so, which one are you using (if you don't mind mentioning). If not, have you been building your own or modifying an existing graphics/multimedia engine?

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.

#11 Post by Guest »

Yeah, GM does stand for Game Maker, but that's not just a generic name - as a matter of fact, that's the name of the game engine he's using. It's created by Mark Overmars : http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/index.html

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#12 Post by Megaman Z »

I assume that's papillon, who forgot to login?
~Kitsune Zeta

#13 Post by Guest »

.... considering that the previous post referred to the game author in the third person AND got my gender wrong, no, that was absolutely not me. :)

- Papillon, posting from work and therefore not logged in.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#14 Post by PixelWrangler »

Anonymous wrote:Yeah, GM does stand for Game Maker, but that's not just a generic name - as a matter of fact, that's the name of the game engine he's using. It's created by Mark Overmars : http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/index.html
Excellent. Thanks for the info and link.

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#15 Post by papillon »

As promised, some information on the development of the dungeon portion....

The very very rough 3d-dungeon-view gradient is not a permanent graphic. I have no idea yet if the dark stone background is or isn't - it may end up clashing too much with the dungeon-view.

We have two attack systems - one based on weapons/equipment and one based on a wacky system of magic cards. At the moment the character is using three Sun cards, because Sun is the first card you get (And it's a pretty good card, too) You have to increase your stats in magic class in order to gain more cards. But she only does 2 damage with it because her magic power isn't very strong yet. (It should take MP to cast, but, er, I forgot to code that bit yet.)

The first line was the character's attempt to Tame the monster instead of fighting it - but she doesn't have the skill to do that. Some monsters are completely untamable. Generally, if it's not a natural animal type thing, it's not going to work. Skeletons never want to be friends.