What do you prefer in an otome?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
bluemoonaspect
Projects: Welcome to Hell
Deviantart: bluemoonaspect
itch: bluemoonaspect

What do you prefer in an otome?

#1 Post by bluemoonaspect »

Hey all! I'm just starting out on making my first otome, and I was wondering what people preferred.

Do you prefer:
A: Separate routes
B: Get all the guys (or girls)
C: Have separate routes and a route where you get all the guys?

I'm personally not sure what I want to do yet, as this is my first otome and all and I don't want to be spread too thin, but I'd love it if I could do C.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: What do you prefer in an otome?

#2 Post by runeraccoon »

Separate I think. Sometimes I'm in the Pokemon mood (catch em all!) but sometimes I ship and can't let MC get someone else.

I'm not sure how you plan on B though? Like, is it where all the guys are in one place and it's like RPG where you can recruit them? Or is it like you can keep replaying the game to get each guy (which is how otome VNs normally do)?

bluemoonaspect

#3 Post by bluemoonaspect »

I mean, sort of like a giant polyamorous relationship is what I was going to go for with her going for all of them.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#4 Post by runeraccoon »

I don't thinkwe ever get real harem or giant polyamorous relationship for otome~ Would be nice to see them taken properly. But still, I'm going to root for C, because both are nice.

Valhalla
Regular

#5 Post by Valhalla »

bluemoonaspect wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:31 am Do you prefer:
A: Separate routes
B: Get all the guys (or girls)
C: Have separate routes and a route where you get all the guys?
I like games with separate routes, but I enjoy if there is an option for 3P endings as well.
I think it's just a matter of what works for your stories and characters at the end of the day though. If the poly ending feels shoehorned in for the lols I don't enjoy it as much.
Image Image Image

bluemoonaspect

#6 Post by bluemoonaspect »

runeraccoon wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:57 am I don't thinkwe ever get real harem or giant polyamorous relationship for otome~ Would be nice to see them taken properly. But still, I'm going to root for C, because both are nice.
I do plan on making it as true to polyamorous as I can - without the guys really having... those kinds of interactions with each other though, lol. Because I'm selfish :D
Valhalla wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 am I like games with separate routes, but I enjoy if there is an option for 3P endings as well.
I think it's just a matter of what works for your stories and characters at the end of the day though. If the poly ending feels shoehorned in for the lols I don't enjoy it as much.
I plan on trying to have separate routes as well, but also including the one where it's poly as well. I don't want to shoehorn anything in :o I actually started out wanting it to be a pure harem where she really does get all the guys, not separate routes. But then I ended up wanting to make separate routes because I'm not sure everyone would want just a pure harem haha. (But I mean who doesn't like being the center of attention :wink: )

hyesunxoxo
Regular
Completed: Reflections ~Dreams and Reality~, High School Otome
Projects: Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Purrfectly Ever After, HEROxTRIO, One Year of Apocalypse,
itch: hyesunxoxo

#7 Post by hyesunxoxo »

Going both would be the best and safest option, although it would mean longer production/writing time & more effort. Personally, I like having separate routes because I'm the otome player who just picks the one (two at max) I like most in the group and marries him without looking back at the others. This way, you can cater to all types of audiences, like loyalists, completionists or harem lovers. Good luck!
ImageImageImage
Visual Novel Writer, Project Head and Otome Enthusiast | Hire me to write your stories! [Commissions]

bluemoonaspect

#8 Post by bluemoonaspect »

hyesunxoxo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 am Going both would be the best and safest option, although it would mean longer production/writing time & more effort. Personally, I like having separate routes because I'm the otome player who just picks the one (two at max) I like most in the group and marries him without looking back at the others. This way, you can cater to all types of audiences, like loyalists, completionists or harem lovers. Good luck!
Thank you! I appreciate your opinion :)

I know it's going to take me a very long time to complete the otome mainly with all of the writing and learning coding that I'm going to be doing, but I'm okay with it as long as what I see in my mind comes to fruition.

toguchin
Tumblr: toguchin

#9 Post by toguchin »

bluemoonaspect wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:13 am
I know it's going to take me a very long time to complete the otome mainly with all of the writing and learning coding that I'm going to be doing, but I'm okay with it as long as what I see in my mind comes to fruition.
Hey, good luck and do your best!

I'm in the same boat, starting fresh with that otome life and teaching myself coding as I go.

I hope your project goes well, there's never enough otome in the world.

(To answer your questions, separate for me, especially if I have to work for the golden boy/girl by doing all the routes--just ups that motivation to play the whole game. But I sure do love me some well-done polyamory, too!)

bluemoonaspect

#10 Post by bluemoonaspect »

toguchin wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:51 am
Hey, good luck and do your best!

I'm in the same boat, starting fresh with that otome life and teaching myself coding as I go.

I hope your project goes well, there's never enough otome in the world.

(To answer your questions, separate for me, especially if I have to work for the golden boy/girl by doing all the routes--just ups that motivation to play the whole game. But I sure do love me some well-done polyamory, too!)
Thank you very much, I wish you the best of luck as well on your own project! :)

There certainly are never enough otomes ;D

And thank you for giving your opinion <3 I love all the answers c: It's helping me out a lot!

Also have a wonderful day!

磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

#11 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

Separate routes definitely. I love to know how each person is separately by spending time together. Marrying/sharing rooms with everybody seems a bit messy. I can't cope with so many people having fun at the same room. That scatter my feelings.

Ana
Regular

#12 Post by Ana »

I honestly would want to see an actual reverse harem route actually implemented, or even an ambiguous ending where two of the guys just fight for the girl. Heck, a route where just the guys passionately get together if the protag doesn't choose anyone would be a really cool twist on the otome genre (also one that most people might not like, so it may not be worth listening to me on that...)

ladyguitarist256
Projects: Timely Cadence

#13 Post by ladyguitarist256 »

I prefer having separate routes. If this is your first otome, it might be easier to start by writing a different story for each love interest and including a small epilogue based on the outcome of the player's choices, but then again I am somewhat biased because I just expressed my preference for that.

In the end, you should create whatever it is you're most interested in investing your time and effort into. It's very much possible. And honestly, you should probably know that whichever path you choose, it's still going to take a while to develop most games on your own when you're just starting out. So definitely spend that time having fun creating the kind of game you'd like to play.