What do you think about a story without a hero or a villain

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
AlanoodSulaiman

What do you think about a story without a hero or a villain

#1 Post by AlanoodSulaiman »

So I'm making a visual novel where the main two archenemies are neither evil nor good.
They respect each other's opinion yet they fight to change the world the way the want it to become.
What do you think about this?

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

Re: What do you think about a story without a hero or a villain

#2 Post by Mutive »

I generally prefer antagonists who make sense. This typically means that they're not evil, they just have a different view of how things should be than the protagonist. I've seen this done successfully in a variety of media, from video games (Last of Us) to movies (Black Panther comes to mind) to comics (Watchmen), books (endless...), etc.

So I don't think there's any problem with it. Of course, as is true for all fiction, people have different preferences.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Preseva
Regular
Projects: The Miller's Daughter

#3 Post by Preseva »

Some people call that a moral gray story, and it's common enough. Mutive gave a great example with the Last of Us. They tend to be more realistic. Some people consider them more complex. I think they're just a different kind of story, no better or worse than those that have good guys and bad guys. Personally, I prefer having more clear cut heroes and villains, because when neither side is right or wrong and I sympathize equally with both protagonist and antagonist, to me it feels like there is no satisfying outcome possible, because someone I'm rooting for will always lose. I loved the Last of Us, but I had that problem with the ending.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

It sounds like your characters are of "true neutral" moral alignment. You may want to read up on that alignment to see examples of such characters.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Draziya
Regular
Completed: this was for you. [NaNoRenO 19], Acetylene [AceJam19], Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World [MonJam 18], I Don't Have A Clue [QRMJam 18], Cautionary Tale [NaNoRenO 18], OP Dodge Cross [GGJ 18], Acetone [AceJam 18]
Projects: I'm a love interest in my childhood friend's reverse harem!!
Organization: Watercress
itch: Drazillion

#5 Post by Draziya »

That's definitely feasible. As others have said, you're talking about morally grey characters, though I'd add onto Katy's point that the characters could be Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral as well as True Neutral.

I'm curious though. Even if they're not a hero and a villain in the traditional sense, would they still be considered the protagonist and the antagonist? As in, would they still fight against each other if winning furthers their goals? Because you can definitely still draw on hero/villain dynamics with that.

AlanoodSulaiman

#6 Post by AlanoodSulaiman »

Thank you guys. I recieved an opinion from somone who tried my demo and they were disappointed with the fact it's a "moral gray story", so I were afraid it was over-used or something like that.

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#7 Post by Mutive »

Not over used. I honestly think there are fewer "morally gray" stories out there than ones with a Big Bad and a super heroic protagonist.

With that said, taste varies *tremendously*. (Which is part of why it's good to have more than one opinion when possible + to take all opinions with some salt. Some of the time someone hates a story because it's objectively not working. But sometimes it's just not working for them. Some of my favorite characters have been widely hated. Doesn't mean they were badly written, just that other players dislike them.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#8 Post by Mammon »

Everything can work if it's done well. Words to live by, including here. Can you make a story without good vs evil? Of course. Can you make a story with a hero vs a big bad guy? Of course. The difference lies in that the latter is usually a tad bit easier to make good as a formula. However, the better story is the one written better.

To give an example, apparently Stan Lee made Iron man with the ideal to make someone that no one would like and then make them like him. Someone selfish, arrogant and spoiled by his wealth and charisma, yet likeable. I myself do something similar by making a dislikeable main character and getting the audience to like them. So you can make a neutral character and do the same, if you do it right.

Also, you mentioned a demo. Is it a closed demo, because I can't find it to get a clearer idea of the situation.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

AlanoodSulaiman

#9 Post by AlanoodSulaiman »

Mammon wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 am Also, you mentioned a demo. Is it a closed demo, because I can't find it to get a clearer idea of the situation.
No. I'll release it whenever the artist I'm working with is done with her work.