Looking for VNs made with Ren'Py for performance tests

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Looking for VNs made with Ren'Py for performance tests

#1 Post by Imperf3kt »

As some of you may be aware, I am (slowly) working on a portable device to allow people to both play and make Ren'Py games, on the go (see signature)
The idea sprung up when people were essentially hacking games so they could play them on Android.

Anyway, I've been mostly concerned with the circuitry up till now but I am at a point where I need to start doing some performance tests.

What I'd like, is for people to recommend me a varirty of VNs made with Ren'Py that are Linux compatible. Preferably free.

I'd look through the completed games section, but I need somewhat more specific knowledge beforehand, such as does the game use a lot of ATL, are there videos, voicing, particle effects, etc.
Ultimately, I hope the community can suggest games based on how resource-heavy they are.

Can anybody name a few examples please?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Looking for VNs made with Ren'Py for performance tests

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Arowana's The Pirate Mermaid has lots of animations, some of them fullscreen, and is one of the more resource heavy VNs I've found. It is a planned commercial release, but they have a pretty extensive free demo out. Even better for testing purposes, they have an option to toggle animations On or Off in the preferences.

Sunrider is another RenPy game that really pushes the engine, with a whole tactical battle system with lots of animations. It's free too.

Winterwolves Games Loren: Amazon Princess game series is one of the largest RenPy games, simply from a memory footprint standpoint. It also uses some complex coding and particle animations.

Those are three just from the top of my head. I used them for some performance tests myself when I brought up framerate hitches with PyTom a few months ago. (He fixed the issue in the newest RenPy releases.)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Looking for VNs made with Ren'Py for performance tests

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to download them shortly.
I greatly appreciate the mention of the memory heavy game, that is definitely one of the things I am most interested in at the moment.

If anybody else has any others, specifically more around the mid-range on performance, that'd be appreciated.
Or even just something you'd like me to test in order to see how well it runs on such a system, maybe for your own spec tests xD

E:
Oh dear...
I just tried the pirate mermaid and ran into a traceback I have no idea what it means.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/other/stats.rpy", line 158, in <module>
ValueError: too many values to unpack

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/home/pi/other/stats.rpyc", line 142, in script
  File "/home/pi/renpy/renpy/renpy/ast.py", line 921, in execute
    img = renpy.python.py_eval_bytecode(self.code.bytecode)
  File "/home/pi/renpy/renpy/renpy/python.py", line 1788, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/other/stats.rpy", line 158, in <module>
  File "/home/pi/renpy/renpy/renpy/display/layout.py", line 289, in LiveComposite
    xpos, ypos = pos
ValueError: too many values to unpack

Linux-4.14.34-v7+-armv7l-with-debian-9.4
Ren'Py 7.1.0.0
thepiratemermaid demo
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter