Easy way to update to new GUI?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ChroniclerOfLegends
Regular
Projects: Scifi Non-Linear Visual Novel/Arcade/Adventure game. (No name yet)

Easy way to update to new GUI?

#1 Post by ChroniclerOfLegends »

Hello, I just created a new project messing around with an idea and I noticed that the way the GUI is handled is completely different than my current project.

Is there a simple/any way to upgrade my current project to use the new GUI system? I have not made any custom GUI elements yet, just tweaked the theme. I like a lot of the changes that were made especially to the main menu and save/load screens. With the auto generated graphic assets to use as a template I think it would help when I do start customizing the GUI.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Easy way to update to new GUI?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

The simplest way, if you truly haven't edited anything, is to create a new project and just copy over your assets and script.rpy file. Note that this isn't quite guaranteed to work (Ren'Py has the occasional incompatible change between versions), but should work for most simpler games or WIP's that have yet to work on the UI.

If you've added screens or changed a few particular things, it may not work without some minor work. Traceback messages will usually tell you whatever is conflicting / not working.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ChroniclerOfLegends
Regular
Projects: Scifi Non-Linear Visual Novel/Arcade/Adventure game. (No name yet)

Re: Easy way to update to new GUI?

#3 Post by ChroniclerOfLegends »

Thanks, that worked pretty well. Had to manually change a few things that didn't work anymore but overall everything is working much nicer now.